Go Back   Georgia Outdoor News Forum > Deer and Small Game Hunting and Trail Cams > Deer Hunting

Old 11-01-2013, 02:30 PM
Boom Boom

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA DAWG View Post
Killdee I killed a 150" 3.5 yr old in Ga. I don't know what he was at 2.5
Cant vouch for dawg himself but I know some of the people he hunts with. They kill some good deer and let some real nice ones walk that Id blast in a heart beat.

Back to the original question. Ga. isnt a "sleeper" state. Everyone knows it produces some real good deer. I dont however think it will ever compare to the midwest. On the other hand. Alot of BIG deer are killed every year,150"+ that noone talks about.
Old 11-01-2013, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilgrim View Post
from what my granpappy and pappy tell me, most all of what you see planted in pines in Ga now used to be in corn and beans - we're talking 50yrs ago. Must've looked like the Midwest around here back then! If you look at some of GON's records from Piedmont counties back in the 60's and early 70's, it's obvious that was having a huge impact on antler development. And there's no telling how many studs that were taken back then we'll never know about.
I was waiting on this to come up..and totally agree. Deer can't eat Pine Straw..and once pines get past about 10 yrs old..or thinned that first time..they don't even provide much cover for bedding areas. What was once prime row-crops/nutrition..is now giant pine plantations/waste lands..that get mowed down every so often,to start the cycle over again. Ga will never be anything but an avg. place to hunt due to liberal bag limits,long season,and lots of hunting pressure(due to being so cheap for out-of-state hunters). North Florida is the up & coming place to go ahead & get your leases
Old 11-01-2013, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Throwback View Post
I thought id quote this because its the exact opposite of what I have been led to believe deer hunting in the Midwest is compared to here. mostly by folks that either have never been there or have some super secret honey hole up there that don't compare to the average place to hunt there.

thanks

T

Oh yeah, I only have the figures from 2010 in front of me but, Georgia's 2010 harvest yielded almost 200,000 more deer than Missouri. The only states that can even compare to Georgia in terms of deer population are Minnesota, Wisconsin, Ohio, Michigan and Missouri to a lesser extent.

BUT public land is still an issue, You think your WMA's are crowded? HA! Indiana, Iowa, and Illinois put out relatively low numbers every year.

Remember, lots of guys want to hunt the Midwest but, they can't all afford an outfitter or private land. Makes for a crowd on public land.
Old 11-01-2013, 07:58 PM

The public land I hunted in southern Illinois was not overcrowded and there was plenty of it. During their short gun season is another story according to a buddy.
Old 11-01-2013, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killdee View Post
The public land I hunted in southern Illinois was not overcrowded and there was plenty of it. During their short gun season is another story according to a buddy.
I was referring more to the gun season since this is a Ga forum and gun hunting is so popular down here . I think Illinois only got 5 days of gun hunting this year.

Even still, I think Illinois has under 500,000 acres of public land available to hunt, that is pretty pathetic considering the size of Illinois.

I could be wrong on the acreage but, I'm pretty sure that is in the ball park.
Old 11-01-2013, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA DAWG View Post
Its no sleeper. Everyone knows its the best big buck state im the southeast
Ga. has produced more Boone and Crockett bucks than Alabama, Tennessee, Florida, North and South Carolina combined....
Old 11-03-2013, 02:22 PM

Does a 160 inch Wisconsin buck taste any better that one of our 130-inch Georgia corn and peanut fed bucks? I don't eat antlers!!!
Old 11-03-2013, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathooker View Post
Ga. has produced more Boone and Crockett bucks than Alabama, Tennessee, Florida, North and South Carolina combined....
There ain't no big deer here though

T
Old 11-03-2013, 10:41 PM

Let them go and they will grow