GON Magazine | GON Classifieds

Go Back   Georgia Outdoor News Forum > Firearms > Firearms, Reloading and Scopes

Old 03-17-2017, 02:17 PM
Default Which one to buy

Considering two handguns for wife the Ruger LC380 and Glock 42, both 380 auto. Pros and Cons of the two.
Old 03-17-2017, 03:18 PM

I recently bought a 42 for my wife. She for some reason cant pull back the slide. Got her through that but she limp wrist the glock and stove pipes nearly every follow up round. The gun is accurate as heck. Decided to keep give to my daughter. She shot it yesterday at 21' for first 20 rounds or so. Stove piped about four rounds before she figured out how to hold it. After that finished off the box of 100 rounds without fail. The gun is accurate as heck.

Reason I say accurate twice is it is just that. She fell in love with it. Shooting it a 5 and 7 yards then stepping up shooting it basically at 10'. Double taps, one to chest one to head and rarely missing. Good enough I am going to buy me a 43.

Have no personal connection with LC380. Although Ruger products have worked for me.

I did look at SW shield yesterday. Love the feel has a tick bigger grip which I don't want even though I have big hands. I feel like harder to hide in CC. Feels very good. An employee has one loves it. Shoots like a charm so well he bought his wife one. She was carrying a Ruger SR22.

Glocks are tough as nails. Not pretty but you really cant beat them for the buck. SW for me lately has not been kind. Its probably my biggest hang up on not buying the shield. I don't feel as though its as tough either.
Old 03-17-2017, 04:19 PM

Bought my wife the Ruger 380 she had trouble working the slide so I bought her a SW 38 revolver she likes it.
Old 03-17-2017, 04:21 PM

My wife already has the little Ruger .380.

A couple months ago I gave her a Glock 43. It is hugely more capable in terms of improved sights, improved trigger, wider range of defense & range loads, larger more comfortable grip (yet still very compact and concealable) and wider range of aftermarket parts like sights and such.

I urge you to look at the 9mm G43, but if you are certain you want the .380, then hands down I suggest a G42.

Nothing wrong with the little Ruger, but the Glock simply has better ergonomics and accuracy enhancing features.
Old 03-17-2017, 07:12 PM

The issues jfish's wife had are similar to my wife. I got a Taurus G2 9mm for my wife. She isn't strong enough to cock it.

I wouldn't buy either, yet. I would take her to the gun range, and rent the prospective firearms. And add a snub nose .38 to the mix. No jams, no hand strength needed to cock it. Simple point and click interface.
Old 03-18-2017, 05:29 AM

My wife's got the Ruger LCP and likes it ok, just a little tough for her to jack in the first round. It's a fun thing to shoot. She does however, defer to her SW Chief Det. airweight .38, mostly cause she has carried and shot it for over 40yrs. (I prefer "big hole" weapons myself).
Old 03-18-2017, 07:05 AM
Administrator

Don't overlook the Ruger LC9S. Not much bigger than the LCP, but in 9mm. My wife shoots it well.
Old 03-18-2017, 08:38 AM

I am listening, thanks for all the feedback. Big thing with any new firearm is learning how to use it. Concerned about pulling the slide back on any auto to cock and load first round. Sometimes this becomes easier as you learn where and how to place your hands on firearm. Thanks again for input.
Old 03-18-2017, 08:44 AM
Location: Middle of the woods in Georgia, where on a quiet night, you really can hear banjo music...

I got the wife a S&W SD40. No issues pulling the slide, and even though I know she isn't gripping it as firmly as she should, no stove piping. It was also a lot less than a Glock.
Old 03-18-2017, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckybuck View Post
I am listening, thanks for all the feedback. Big thing with any new firearm is learning how to use it. Concerned about pulling the slide back on any auto to cock and load first round. Sometimes this becomes easier as you learn where and how to place your hands on firearm. Thanks again for input.
I too ended up buying my wife a Ruger LCR 38. As stated by another poster. No slide no frills and its easy for her to use. Pull the trigger. It shoots well.
Old 03-18-2017, 10:51 AM

This is what I c/c when it is hot out.
Attached Images

Old 03-18-2017, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT-40 GUY View Post
This is what I c/c when it is hot out.
Very much agreement with the cleaning and then recoating with your desired lube and also on the ammo choice.
Old 03-19-2017, 07:38 PM

The frame for the ruger lc380 and lc9 is exactly the same. How much difference in recoil if frame is same and one is 38 and other is 9mm.
Old 03-19-2017, 11:06 PM

>if frame is same and one is 38 and other is 9mm

.380 is less than a .38 Spl which is less than a 9x19.
Let her pick it out. I find that Glocks feel horrible and, if I aim with my eyes closed (natural pointing), the barrel is sticking up in the air at about 40.
Next, consider a revolver. No slide to fight.
Old 03-20-2017, 06:49 AM

I love the 42, probably the most accurate pistol I've shot in awhile, but wife has issues with it. Stovepipes and jams every mag, she limpwrists the heck out of it. I also just bought a ruger for myself, but haven't had a chance for us to shoot it
Old 03-20-2017, 07:23 AM
Default when one learns to shoot correctly

The Glock will never fail you

s&r
Old 03-20-2017, 07:35 AM

I'd lean towards the 42 also. The Ruger isn't a bad gun, I just like the Glocks better. The 42 is a smooth shooting gun considering its size.
John 8:12 I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life.
Old 03-20-2017, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfish View Post
I recently bought a 42 for my wife. She for some reason cant pull back the slide. Got her through that but she limp wrist the glock and stove pipes nearly every follow up round. The gun is accurate as heck. Decided to keep give to my daughter. She shot it yesterday at 21' for first 20 rounds or so. Stove piped about four rounds before she figured out how to hold it. After that finished off the box of 100 rounds without fail. The gun is accurate as heck.

Reason I say accurate twice is it is just that. She fell in love with it. Shooting it a 5 and 7 yards then stepping up shooting it basically at 10'. Double taps, one to chest one to head and rarely missing. Good enough I am going to buy me a 43.

Have no personal connection with LC380. Although Ruger products have worked for me.

I did look at SW shield yesterday. Love the feel has a tick bigger grip which I don't want even though I have big hands. I feel like harder to hide in CC. Feels very good. An employee has one loves it. Shoots like a charm so well he bought his wife one. She was carrying a Ruger SR22.

Glocks are tough as nails. Not pretty but you really cant beat them for the buck. SW for me lately has not been kind. Its probably my biggest hang up on not buying the shield. I don't feel as though its as tough either.
My wife has the same issue with the G42. She has long fingernails and can't reliably pull the slide back. She went with a revolver.

The G42 is mine now and I might trade it in.
Old 03-20-2017, 08:26 AM

if you want an auto that she can operate the slide the answer is a Sig 238. period
Old 03-20-2017, 01:13 PM

Again absorbing all the info from you, thanks a lot. Have not made a decision.
Old 03-20-2017, 03:34 PM

If the wife is like most women, I'd suggest taking her to a range where you can rent both pistols, then let her decide. If she doesn't like the way it feels, or shoots, or just plain doesn't like the way it looks, it doesn't matter how good a gun it is,, she won't carry it ! I learned that the hard way,
I took my ex to a couple of gun shows, let her pick up and handle whichever one she thought she might like, let her shoot all the ones we currently had at the time, borrowed a couple of pistols from friends and let her shoot those, till she finally settled on a Beretta px4 storm compact, something I would never have considered getting for her. At least she will carry it, where she wouldn't carry my 38 snub, or lcp 380.
Old 03-20-2017, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by transfixer View Post
If the wife is like most women, I'd suggest taking her to a range where you can rent both pistols, then let her decide. If she doesn't like the way it feels, or shoots, or just plain doesn't like the way it looks, it doesn't matter how good a gun it is,, she won't carry it !
Nailed it.