GON Magazine | GON Classifieds

Go Back   Georgia Outdoor News Forum > Firearms > Firearms, Reloading and Scopes


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03-17-2017, 02:17 PM
Luckybuck Luckybuck is offline
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Lake Allatoona
iTrader: (4) Check/Add Feedback
Default Which one to buy

Considering two handguns for wife the Ruger LC380 and Glock 42, both 380 auto. Pros and Cons of the two.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 03-17-2017, 03:18 PM
jfish jfish is offline
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: 31543
iTrader: (0) Check/Add Feedback
Default

I recently bought a 42 for my wife. She for some reason cant pull back the slide. Got her through that but she limp wrist the glock and stove pipes nearly every follow up round. The gun is accurate as heck. Decided to keep give to my daughter. She shot it yesterday at 21' for first 20 rounds or so. Stove piped about four rounds before she figured out how to hold it. After that finished off the box of 100 rounds without fail. The gun is accurate as heck.

Reason I say accurate twice is it is just that. She fell in love with it. Shooting it a 5 and 7 yards then stepping up shooting it basically at 10'. Double taps, one to chest one to head and rarely missing. Good enough I am going to buy me a 43.

Have no personal connection with LC380. Although Ruger products have worked for me.

I did look at SW shield yesterday. Love the feel has a tick bigger grip which I don't want even though I have big hands. I feel like harder to hide in CC. Feels very good. An employee has one loves it. Shoots like a charm so well he bought his wife one. She was carrying a Ruger SR22.

Glocks are tough as nails. Not pretty but you really cant beat them for the buck. SW for me lately has not been kind. Its probably my biggest hang up on not buying the shield. I don't feel as though its as tough either.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-17-2017, 04:19 PM
stabow's Avatar
stabow stabow is offline
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Wetumpka Alabama
iTrader: (0) Check/Add Feedback
Default

Bought my wife the Ruger 380 she had trouble working the slide so I bought her a SW 38 revolver she likes it.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-17-2017, 04:21 PM
Dub's Avatar
Dub Dub is offline
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Jawja
iTrader: (2) Check/Add Feedback
Default

My wife already has the little Ruger .380.

A couple months ago I gave her a Glock 43. It is hugely more capable in terms of improved sights, improved trigger, wider range of defense & range loads, larger more comfortable grip (yet still very compact and concealable) and wider range of aftermarket parts like sights and such.

I urge you to look at the 9mm G43, but if you are certain you want the .380, then hands down I suggest a G42.

Nothing wrong with the little Ruger, but the Glock simply has better ergonomics and accuracy enhancing features.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-17-2017, 07:12 PM
GA native's Avatar
GA native GA native is offline
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Kennesaw GA
iTrader: (0) Check/Add Feedback
Default

The issues jfish's wife had are similar to my wife. I got a Taurus G2 9mm for my wife. She isn't strong enough to cock it.

I wouldn't buy either, yet. I would take her to the gun range, and rent the prospective firearms. And add a snub nose .38 to the mix. No jams, no hand strength needed to cock it. Simple point and click interface.
__________________
Association of Dime Store Cowboys 2017
Behind every great man is a woman rolling her eyes. Jim Carrey
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-18-2017, 05:29 AM
Anvil Head's Avatar
Anvil Head Anvil Head is offline
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Acworth, GA / Hanging Dog, NC
iTrader: (0) Check/Add Feedback
Default

My wife's got the Ruger LCP and likes it ok, just a little tough for her to jack in the first round. It's a fun thing to shoot. She does however, defer to her SW Chief Det. airweight .38, mostly cause she has carried and shot it for over 40yrs. (I prefer "big hole" weapons myself).
__________________
Carl Rechsteiner - Bladesmith, Charter member/Past President - Georgia Custom Knifemakers' Guild, Voting Member - Knifemakers Guild, GCA-MasterArtist, Blade Show Table 5-J
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03-18-2017, 07:05 AM
NCHillbilly's Avatar
NCHillbilly NCHillbilly is offline
Administrator
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Smoky Mountains
iTrader: (0) Check/Add Feedback
Default

Don't overlook the Ruger LC9S. Not much bigger than the LCP, but in 9mm. My wife shoots it well.
__________________
Son, I ain't sayin' what's right or wrong, I'm just sayin' how it is.....Black Oak Arkansas
My uncle came running when he heard us screaming and pulled the monkey off me.....Fish Hawk
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 03-18-2017, 08:38 AM
Luckybuck Luckybuck is offline
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Lake Allatoona
iTrader: (4) Check/Add Feedback
Default

I am listening, thanks for all the feedback. Big thing with any new firearm is learning how to use it. Concerned about pulling the slide back on any auto to cock and load first round. Sometimes this becomes easier as you learn where and how to place your hands on firearm. Thanks again for input.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 03-18-2017, 08:44 AM
Capt Quirk's Avatar
Capt Quirk Capt Quirk is offline
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Middle of the woods in Georgia, where on a quiet night, you really can hear banjo music...
iTrader: (0) Check/Add Feedback
Default

I got the wife a S&W SD40. No issues pulling the slide, and even though I know she isn't gripping it as firmly as she should, no stove piping. It was also a lot less than a Glock.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 03-18-2017, 09:40 AM
jfish jfish is offline
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: 31543
iTrader: (0) Check/Add Feedback
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckybuck View Post
I am listening, thanks for all the feedback. Big thing with any new firearm is learning how to use it. Concerned about pulling the slide back on any auto to cock and load first round. Sometimes this becomes easier as you learn where and how to place your hands on firearm. Thanks again for input.
I too ended up buying my wife a Ruger LCR 38. As stated by another poster. No slide no frills and its easy for her to use. Pull the trigger. It shoots well.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 03-18-2017, 10:51 AM
GT-40 GUY's Avatar
GT-40 GUY GT-40 GUY is offline
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: North of Atlanta, GEORGIA
iTrader: (0) Check/Add Feedback
Default

This is what I c/c when it is hot out.
Attached Images
  
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 03-18-2017, 04:38 PM
Dub's Avatar
Dub Dub is offline
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Jawja
iTrader: (2) Check/Add Feedback
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT-40 GUY View Post
This is what I c/c when it is hot out.
Very much agreement with the cleaning and then recoating with your desired lube and also on the ammo choice.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 03-19-2017, 07:38 PM
Luckybuck Luckybuck is offline
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Lake Allatoona
iTrader: (4) Check/Add Feedback
Default

The frame for the ruger lc380 and lc9 is exactly the same. How much difference in recoil if frame is same and one is 38 and other is 9mm.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 03-19-2017, 11:06 PM
noylj noylj is offline
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Arizona
iTrader: (0) Check/Add Feedback
Default

>if frame is same and one is 38 and other is 9mm

.380 is less than a .38 Spl which is less than a 9x19.
Let her pick it out. I find that Glocks feel horrible and, if I aim with my eyes closed (natural pointing), the barrel is sticking up in the air at about 40.
Next, consider a revolver. No slide to fight.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 03-20-2017, 06:49 AM
killerv's Avatar
killerv killerv is offline
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Macon Ga
iTrader: (0) Check/Add Feedback
Default

I love the 42, probably the most accurate pistol I've shot in awhile, but wife has issues with it. Stovepipes and jams every mag, she limpwrists the heck out of it. I also just bought a ruger for myself, but haven't had a chance for us to shoot it
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 03-20-2017, 07:23 AM
spurrs and racks spurrs and racks is offline
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: lizella
iTrader: (0) Check/Add Feedback
Default when one learns to shoot correctly

The Glock will never fail you

s&r
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 03-20-2017, 07:35 AM
wareagle700's Avatar
wareagle700 wareagle700 is offline
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Statesboro, GA
iTrader: (0) Check/Add Feedback
Default

I'd lean towards the 42 also. The Ruger isn't a bad gun, I just like the Glocks better. The 42 is a smooth shooting gun considering its size.
__________________
John 8:12 I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 03-20-2017, 07:45 AM
PappyHoel's Avatar
PappyHoel PappyHoel is offline
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Make America Great Again!
iTrader: (0) Check/Add Feedback
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfish View Post
I recently bought a 42 for my wife. She for some reason cant pull back the slide. Got her through that but she limp wrist the glock and stove pipes nearly every follow up round. The gun is accurate as heck. Decided to keep give to my daughter. She shot it yesterday at 21' for first 20 rounds or so. Stove piped about four rounds before she figured out how to hold it. After that finished off the box of 100 rounds without fail. The gun is accurate as heck.

Reason I say accurate twice is it is just that. She fell in love with it. Shooting it a 5 and 7 yards then stepping up shooting it basically at 10'. Double taps, one to chest one to head and rarely missing. Good enough I am going to buy me a 43.

Have no personal connection with LC380. Although Ruger products have worked for me.

I did look at SW shield yesterday. Love the feel has a tick bigger grip which I don't want even though I have big hands. I feel like harder to hide in CC. Feels very good. An employee has one loves it. Shoots like a charm so well he bought his wife one. She was carrying a Ruger SR22.

Glocks are tough as nails. Not pretty but you really cant beat them for the buck. SW for me lately has not been kind. Its probably my biggest hang up on not buying the shield. I don't feel as though its as tough either.
My wife has the same issue with the G42. She has long fingernails and can't reliably pull the slide back. She went with a revolver.

The G42 is mine now and I might trade it in.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 03-20-2017, 08:26 AM
jglenn's Avatar
jglenn jglenn is offline
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Monroe Ga
iTrader: (23) Check/Add Feedback
Default

if you want an auto that she can operate the slide the answer is a Sig 238. period
__________________
"Some folks are simply educated beyond their intelligence"
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 03-20-2017, 01:13 PM
Luckybuck Luckybuck is offline
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Lake Allatoona
iTrader: (4) Check/Add Feedback
Default

Again absorbing all the info from you, thanks a lot. Have not made a decision.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 03-20-2017, 03:34 PM
transfixer's Avatar
transfixer transfixer is offline
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Douglasville
iTrader: (0) Check/Add Feedback
Default

If the wife is like most women, I'd suggest taking her to a range where you can rent both pistols, then let her decide. If she doesn't like the way it feels, or shoots, or just plain doesn't like the way it looks, it doesn't matter how good a gun it is,, she won't carry it ! I learned that the hard way,
I took my ex to a couple of gun shows, let her pick up and handle whichever one she thought she might like, let her shoot all the ones we currently had at the time, borrowed a couple of pistols from friends and let her shoot those, till she finally settled on a Beretta px4 storm compact, something I would never have considered getting for her. At least she will carry it, where she wouldn't carry my 38 snub, or lcp 380.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 03-20-2017, 04:09 PM
GoldDot40's Avatar
GoldDot40 GoldDot40 is offline
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Colbert, GA
iTrader: (0) Check/Add Feedback
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by transfixer View Post
If the wife is like most women, I'd suggest taking her to a range where you can rent both pistols, then let her decide. If she doesn't like the way it feels, or shoots, or just plain doesn't like the way it looks, it doesn't matter how good a gun it is,, she won't carry it !
Nailed it.
__________________
ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Equal Opportunity Offender
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:17 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004 Georgia Outdoor News, Inc.Ad Management by RedTyger