GON Magazine | GON Classifieds

Go Back   Georgia Outdoor News Forum > Spiritual Help and Religion Discussions > Christianity & Judaism

Old 07-03-2017, 05:24 PM
GON Severe Weatherman

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattech View Post
If I really was to think on it, it was to God, at least that's what I think, but I don't know. I was truly tithing with no intentions of getting anything back from it, I put it in God's hands to make good use of it. In those years and probably $60k dollars later, I never saw our church go outside of the church and do good anywhere, and also had to listen to the Interim pastor cry that we didn't have money to make minor repairs. Once we finally left the church, I truly felt as if God didn't put my tithe to use. The church I go to now is constantly doing amazing things inside and outside of our community. We set up at gas stations and buy people gas, give them Chick-fil-A sandwiches, we gave our police and fire Dept $20k each for new supplies. We had a well dug for a small village in Africa. This is the exact type of church where I feel tithing is a great thing and is being used for what God has intentions of, and for a year of being in this church, I still can't bring myself to tithe.
I have experienced some of that, but always chalked it up to man's folly, not God's. Seek first the Kingdom of God and he will lay upon your heart what he wishes for you to do.

Sounds like you are in a great church community now (family / congregation, not the building).
Old 07-03-2017, 05:30 PM
Deranged Throat-Puncher

Very true, on both accounts. I know in my heart it's time to start back. I just need to take the leap of faith. Lol
Old 07-03-2017, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattech View Post
If I really was to think on it, it was to God, at least that's what I think, but I don't know. I was truly tithing with no intentions of getting anything back from it, I put it in God's hands to make good use of it. In those years and probably $60k dollars later, I never saw our church go outside of the church and do good anywhere, and also had to listen to the Interim pastor cry that we didn't have money to make minor repairs. Once we finally left the church, I truly felt as if God didn't put my tithe to use. The church I go to now is constantly doing amazing things inside and outside of our community. We set up at gas stations and buy people gas, give them Chick-fil-A sandwiches, we gave our police and fire Dept $20k each for new supplies. We had a well dug for a small village in Africa. This is the exact type of church where I feel tithing is a great thing and is being used for what God has intentions of, and for a year of being in this church, I still can't bring myself to tithe.
Just not sure who is doing all the great things.....you used the word WE several times but if you are not giving then it is the church you are attending not you that is/are doing good for others. Average in most churches is that 25% to 28% of people in a church give and support over 90% of all the funds; also teachers, ushers, and preform other duties that keep a church going.
Old 07-03-2017, 06:26 PM
Daily Bible Verse Organizer
Default re:

Give cheerfully. If you can't do that don't give. God doesn't need your money. He needs and wants you! The wounds take time to heal but they will heal and you will find the wealth of God's love for you. And that wealth is what we really all need!
Old 07-03-2017, 06:38 PM

It seems contradictory to an extent to blindly tithe to a church without verifying where the dollars are actually going. I always hear the line of trusting God to handle that part, but to me that seems about like driving without a seat belt or giving up guns for protecting one's family.

I'd rather give 10% directly to those in need than to any church if I didn't truly know where they were allocating the funds.
Old 07-06-2017, 10:11 PM

I was thinking of giving all of my possessions to a trust fund so that Medicaid wouldn't get them if I go to a nursing home.

I don't know if this is the Christian thing to do or the Republican thing to do. Maybe my kids will give it to the Church.
Old 07-06-2017, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grizzlyblake View Post

I'd rather give 10% directly to those in need than to any church if I didn't truly know where they were allocating the funds.
because you know where the funds need to go better than God does?

Either God is God and has it all under control, or He isn't God. We all say we trust God and believe He controls everything, yet we wish to impose our idea of what is best. Go figure.
Old 07-06-2017, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NE GA Pappy View Post
because you know where the funds need to go better than God does?

Either God is God and has it all under control, or He isn't God. We all say we trust God and believe He controls everything, yet we wish to impose our idea of what is best. Go figure.
Maybe if one doesn't trust what their Church does with the money then they should switch Churches.

That being said wouldn't giving to those in need be giving to God?

"For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in,"

This is Jesus telling us where the funds need to go.
Old 07-06-2017, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artfuldodger View Post
Maybe if one doesn't trust what their Church does with the money then they should switch Churches.

That being said wouldn't giving to those in need be giving to God?

"For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in,"

This is Jesus telling us where the funds need to go.
sure, if you are giving to help that person.

But to withhold a tithe from the church and search for someone to give it to because you are afraid the church won't use it right???? nah. You would be better off to find a church with a staff you can trust.

I mean really.... you trust the pastor enough to sit under his teaching and leadership, but don't trust him with a few measley dollars you throw in the plate every Sunday?

Which has more value? Your soul and the souls of your family, or the few dollars you are afraid to trust that God can get them put where He wants them?
Old 07-22-2017, 10:33 PM

I guess I killed this thread dead
Old 07-22-2017, 11:09 PM
Location: In a recliner, patiently waiting for Sharknado 5 premier

Quote:
I guess I killed this thread dead
"Sometimes, dead is better."

-- Stephen King, Pet Sematary
Old 07-23-2017, 09:32 AM

Quote:
sure, if you are giving to help that person.

But to withhold a tithe from the church and search for someone to give it to because you are afraid the church won't use it right???? nah. You would be better off to find a church with a staff you can trust.

I mean really.... you trust the pastor enough to sit under his teaching and leadership, but don't trust him with a few measley dollars you throw in the plate every Sunday?

Which has more value? Your soul and the souls of your family, or the few dollars you are afraid to trust that God can get them put where He wants them?
Or maybe a church with no "staff"... as in unpaid deacons that are Spirit-filled.
Old 07-24-2017, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by welderguy View Post
Or maybe a church with no "staff"... as in unpaid deacons that are Spirit-filled.
I have seen "unpaid deacons" who could waste money with the best of them.

I guess with me it all boils down to "that ain't my job". God didn't put the responsibility to make sure the funds were spent correctly on me. He only request that I trust Him to supply all my needs if I will trust Him with those things I so painfully wish to retain as my own.

For me it isn't only the tithe, but my will, my wishes and my desire to control the outcome of so many things. I have had to learn to trust when trust is so foreign. I have be wounded by other believers, family and friends. Yet God calls me to trust in Him.

So I do, as much as possible, and more each day.
Old 07-24-2017, 08:37 PM

Love God, love my Church and love writing that check on Sunday. God has blessed me in so many ways. Enjoy supporting his mission.
Old 08-06-2017, 08:22 PM

Sounds like a no lose proposition for the preacher.
Old 08-08-2017, 12:17 PM
Bo$$ Mod

Tithing is good for the soul. God don't need your money
Old 08-08-2017, 12:20 PM
GON Severe Weatherman

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyDawg View Post
^^^This^^^
Old 08-08-2017, 01:12 PM
GON Severe Weatherman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampfox1775 View Post

Sounds like yall got the classic bumpin shakedown.

What kind of limousine does "Pastor" Greg drive?
You do realize which forum this is posted in, correct?
Old 08-08-2017, 01:39 PM
Blue Heeler man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miguel Cervantes View Post
apparently not....smh-ed..
Old 08-08-2017, 01:43 PM
Location: In a recliner, patiently waiting for Sharknado 5 premier

Quote:
When he gets tired of trolling the Political Forum, he comes in here.
Old 08-08-2017, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Say what you will. It's nigh impossible to counter the dreaded with mere reason. I mean if someone gets one of those over on you, it's over for all intents and purposes.
Old 08-08-2017, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyDawg View Post
Yeah but those churches sure do.
Old 08-09-2017, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlashunter View Post
Yeah but those churches sure do.
Meh. Depends on the church. Our church stays broke, but we don't NEED anyone's money. If it comes in it's immediately spent on missions: either local or distant. There is no savings account. Everyone knows this up front. Pastor drives an old Chevy with over 250k on it with headlights gorilla taped in, courtesy of a deer. We're not rich nor want to be.......just help others and spread the gospel. It's that simple.

There's certainly a lot to critize with a lot of Churches, but for every church out there that makes the news for the wrong reasons, there's a bunch more that are out there making a positive difference.......just like people. Only the bad ones make the news.
Old Yesterday, 03:01 PM
Default ?? But we've begun in the Spirit ...

According to Jesus, tithing is a matter of the law. The cross shows us we have died to the law thru the body of Christ (Rom7:4), and our new hearts have been changed to obey out of grace (Rom:6:17-18). We can miss it often for the reason of holding on to Moses gives us a pseudo safety net for all manner of obedience. Beloved, this just cannot be. Either we are led by the Spirit in the realm of giving or we're not. Are we seeking to make our giving 'perfected' by the flesh, or are we walking in total dependence on the new way?

Grace shows us a better way, the infusion of the Spirit and the freedom of His righteousness within. Living out of that (abundance) is the life of the faith of Christ, without the condemnation - or the confusion - of the law, but within the benefit of the Life within, to be expressed by communion and not by law.

In the New Covenant economy, giving is cheerfully from the heart with no obligation, set standards or restrictions. Therefore, the benefit cannot be measured back in percentages of money, per the "health/wealth" gospel, but that Christ is seen more clearly as our exceedingly great reward.