GON Magazine | GON Classifieds

Go Back   Georgia Outdoor News Forum > Spiritual Help and Religion Discussions > Other Faiths
Notices

Old 02-10-2012, 12:37 AM
Default First Ever Hindu Prayer in US Senate

Anyone else catch this story?

For the first time ever a Hindu leader was invited to give the prayer to open the US Senate. The man steps to the podium and Christian Protesters interrupt him several times before he finally finishes his prayer that was far less specific and exclusionary than most of the Christian prayers I have heard given to open the Senate.

http://www.cbn.com/cbnnews/193994.aspx

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1onH...&feature=share

I'm not a Hindu, but such behavior is part of what drove me away from Christianity.
Old 02-10-2012, 01:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTom View Post

For the first time ever a Hindu leader was invited to give the prayer to open the US Senate. The man steps to the podium and Christian Protesters interrupt him several times before he finally finishes his prayer that was far less specific and exclusionary than most of the Christian prayers I have heard given to open the Senate.

I'm not a Hindu, but such behavior is part of what drove me away from Christianity.
No prayer.
Ezekiel 23:20-21
Old 02-10-2012, 09:06 AM

Quote:

That's terrible to hear, and I am sorry that things like this helped move you away from Christianity. The only advice I have(even though you didn't ask for it, I hope you don't mind) is look to Jesus and not the behavior of everyone who claims Him.
Old 02-10-2012, 11:29 AM

I agree i'm a Christian and that would never drive me away. We need to work harder getting religion out of our government and schools. It's only a matter of time before other religions want equal time(and rightfully so) as more people from other countries move into the U.S. I know this sounds bad but it will go that route.
Reminds me of the Snickers commercial where they had about 10 prayers before a ball game.
Old 02-10-2012, 01:55 PM

String I expect it from you and a few others. (that reads badly but I don't mean it that way) I'm not upset by it. There were plenty of other contributing reasons, besides the actions taken in his name, for my leaving Christianity behind. But they are not the central issue here.

The fact that several self identified Christians once again felt compelled to display a level of rudeness that would shame their namesake is the central issue. The fact that a pastor encouraged and helped organized a rude interruption is a central issue.

Those of us who are not Christians (either never were or who left the faith) have had this sort of rudeness projected into our lives in more than just this instance.
Old 02-10-2012, 02:09 PM

Just saw the video.

Appalling......
Ezekiel 23:20-21
Old 02-10-2012, 03:56 PM

Quote:
String I expect it from you and a few others. (that reads badly but I don't mean it that way) I'm not upset by it. There were plenty of other contributing reasons, besides the actions taken in his name, for my leaving Christianity behind. But they are not the central issue here.

The fact that several self identified Christians once again felt compelled to display a level of rudeness that would shame their namesake is the central issue. The fact that a pastor encouraged and helped organized a rude interruption is a central issue.

Those of us who are not Christians (either never were or who left the faith) have had this sort of rudeness projected into our lives in more than just this instance.
It's pathetic, I know, and I think the majority of Christians would agree.

It is why I put my faith in God, and not people, I never get let down.
Old 02-11-2012, 10:01 PM

Im born again so it is impossible to drive me away from being a Christian. As for heathen preist giving prayers in our halls of leadership it is the way of the times we live in. America has become a pagan nation and will soon be killing true believers for their faith.

Last edited by Woodsman69; 02-11-2012 at 11:05 PM.
Old 02-12-2012, 01:35 PM

LOL Woodsman as opposed to the centuries of Christians killing the pagans by the hundreds of thousands, and then excusing it and acting as if they are not responsible.
Old 02-12-2012, 03:16 PM

Woodsman, what Pagan group do you think will kill true believers? When can we expect to see this? Will the American leaders be Pagans? Are Hindus classified as Pagans?
Old 02-12-2012, 04:44 PM

Quote:

I get what you're saying. But you can't let man's behavior dictate whether you accept christianity or not. That's like being against hunting because some people who claim to be hunters poach deer.
Old 02-12-2012, 05:05 PM

DC Hunter and others

There were many more things that moved me away from Christianity along with the behavior of so many of it's adherents.

Gandhi had it about right

"I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians, your Christians are so unlike your Christ."
Old 02-12-2012, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artfuldodger View Post
Woodsman, what Pagan group do you think will kill true believers? When can we expect to see this? Will the American leaders be Pagans? Are Hindus classified as Pagans?
Yep sure are.
Old 02-12-2012, 05:57 PM

2008- Hindu mobs kill Christians

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2008...anity-hinduism
Old 02-12-2012, 07:29 PM

Wow, and I thought they were a peaceful lot. We'd better stop worrying about the Muslims and keep a closer eye on the Hindus.
Old 02-12-2012, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodsman69 View Post
2008- Hindu mobs kill Christians

Is that what Ghandi instructed them to do?...we can blame it on him, right? AND on all the other hindu?
Old 02-12-2012, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artfuldodger View Post
Wow, and I thought they were a peaceful lot. We'd better stop worrying about the Muslims and keep a closer eye on the Hindus.
Right on!
Old 02-12-2012, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Im born again so it is impossible to drive me away from being a Christian. As for heathen preist giving prayers in our halls of leadership it is the way of the times we live in. America has become a pagan nation and will soon be killing true believers for their faith.

I see it TTom, I see it and I'm sorry....
Old 02-12-2012, 09:21 PM

It may be the first ever Hindu prayer in the senate but the video was uploaded to youtube in july of 2007.
Old 02-13-2012, 12:16 AM
Ol' Retired Mod

If public prayer isn't allow in schools, why are our Senators allowed it??

Isn't that a double standard?

Old 02-18-2012, 03:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie T View Post
If public prayer isn't allow in schools, why are our Senators allowed it??

Isn't that a double standard?

Well yeah, but they do it for a different reason.....they do it for votes. Probably not all of them, but some.

I'd almost rather not have prayer in school....and I know that is sad....but I want my granddaughters to learn what we want them to learn and not some opinion of a teacher, which prayer gives the teachers a right of way to express their opinions on many moral and/or biblical issues...ya know what I mean?
Old 02-19-2012, 10:36 PM

Quote:
America has become a pagan nation and will soon be killing true believers for their faith.
I consider myself an eclectic pagan and I am defiantly not one to around killing people for my faith.
...In fact none of the others I know of really care what YOU believe. Just leave us alone with our beliefs for we are hurting no one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnwoman View Post
I'd almost rather not have prayer in school....and I know that is sad....but I want my granddaughters to learn what we want them to learn and not some opinion of a teacher, which prayer gives the teachers a right of way to express their opinions on many moral and/or biblical issues...ya know what I mean?
I understand this completely. Religious views have grown so different I would only want the ones I approve of (a priest/church of my choice, family elders, etc) teaching my child.
Old 03-05-2012, 01:58 AM
Banned

Quote:
America has become a pagan nation and will soon be killing true believers for their faith.
Where do you come up with some of this stuff?
Old 03-05-2012, 03:58 PM

Not all Hindus are muslims....vice/versa. That said, We still have to realize there is a faction dedicated to killing CHRISTIANS!!! Wake up! This Country was founded on the basis of religious freedom, however your freedom ends when it stops my freedom. Jesus Christ even said to His Disciples " If they are not against US, then they are FOR Us ". A real CHRISTian would not have interfered and let him pray.Even us Baptists let the other Faiths pray!
Old 03-05-2012, 05:09 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiteeagle View Post
Not all Hindus are muslims....vice/versa.
While technically true, it is unbelievably sad that you posted this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiteeagle View Post
That said, We still have to realize there is a faction dedicated to killing CHRISTIANS!!! Wake up!
Help me wake up! What faction is dedicated to killing Christians? Do they have a website? Can I recognize them by a tattoo or other distinguishing characteristic?