GON Magazine | GON Classifieds

Go Back   Georgia Outdoor News Forum > Deer and Small Game Hunting and Trail Cams > Deer Hunting
Notices

Old 01-12-2018, 05:00 PM
Default Ladder Stand Challenges

Guys and Gals –

I know some folks swear by (and swear at) ladder stands for deer hunting.

This past November in Illinois, with 30ish degree weather, I had to put up two double rail 21’ ladders by myself – and mind me… I will be 61 on Saturday and I am far from an excellent physical specimen.

What I am, however, is determined.

I got both stands up (which I will admit whipped me and scared me) and now let’s move back to the determined part.

I “determined” that there has GOT to be a better and safer way to do this.

Fast forward to January and deer season is over for me… the season is closed in SC and I cannot make another Illinois trip. I had an idea in my mind and I have now designed and fabricated a device that I believe will allow nearly anyone to erect a ladder stand by yourself, with minimal effort. Not only will you be able to erect the stand – I believe the device will help hold the stand fairly rigidly to the tree as you make the initial ascent to put the first strap or chain on the upper section. I consider this last part the very most dangerous activity of putting up a ladder stand.

20’ is 20’ and it is a LONG way down to the ground.

Take that short trip (straight down) in 30 degree cold weather, working by yourself - and you might find yourself wishing you had taken up a different hobby altogether.

I am going to test the device this weekend – I have another 21’ double rail ladder stand at the house – and I am going to see if my wife or my neighbor (who is even smaller than my wife) can put the stand up easily and safely.

If the device works as I envision – my intent would obviously be to market it – which I know I can’t do on GON.

I own and have tried the device that is a winch that connects to the tree and is designed to help lift a stand. To me, they are ineffectual and still offer no help once the stand is erected. You still have to go up and put the first strap or chain on the upper section… you know, the scary part.

I have used the standard winch system several times only to get the ladder 1/3 to ˝ way up and have it swing left or right rather than going up aligned to the tree. My system was originally outfitted with a rope, also, and it did not last a season before it snapped.

Many is the time, too, that we used a climbing stand or a tall extension ladder to attach the first strap or chain - this is simply WAY too much work!

I am looking for a way that is safer, easier and far more accurate at putting up ladder stands – a system that uses leverage rather than strength to put the stands up….

Device weight – approximately 20 lbs.

Strength needed? Approximately (and coincidentally) the ability to lift 20 pounds – plus the ability to tote the stand to the tree in the first place (obviously).

Now, I come full circle – who all struggles with putting ladder stands up - and could a device like this be marketable to the point that it is worth fooling with?

More details to follow once the test is made…

Thanks – Jim
Old 01-12-2018, 05:23 PM

Absolutely struggle with it. My ladder stands are 18 ft buddy stands & top heavy. Not only is it dangerous climbing up to get 1st strap on, but is also dangerous when you have it lifted & are trying to get it in the right spot against the tree.

I think a device that would assist in placing a ladder stand & make doing so safer would definitely be marketable.
Old 01-12-2018, 05:34 PM

I talked to a buddy yesterday at work that herniated a disc in his back this year trying to get one up by himself, I can't wait to see your invention Jim!!
Old 01-12-2018, 05:44 PM

I built a 16 ft one out of wet pressure treated in the 80s, lol. Could barely budge it. Threw a rope over a limb and to the back of my ATV and tied the throttle down a little. ATV sat there and bucked up and down like a bronco, but I got that sucker worked up there. Never again. Pure torture. I feel your pain.

Those big double Millineums will kill 2 people. I stood at the bottom with a strap about 3/4 up and my son stood it up. He can be he man now.

Good luck with your invention.
Old 01-12-2018, 06:02 PM

Great feedback guys - and quite encouraging.

I have five 21’ Millennium stands on order for the Illinois farms so maybe this device will not only help me get them up - but it might also inspire me to move ones that I determine could be more well positioned.

Many is the stand I did not put up or move just because it was too much trouble.

Thanks!

Old 01-12-2018, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Boyd View Post
Great feedback guys - and quite encouraging.

I have five 21’ Millennium stands on order for the Illinois farms so maybe this device will not only help me get them up - but it might also inspire me to move ones that I determine could be more well positioned.

Many is the stand I did not put up or move just because it was too much trouble.

Thanks!

Got quite a few on my place that I ain't moving by myself! Can't wait to see your progress on this.
Old 01-12-2018, 06:29 PM
Admin

If it works I’m all about easier and safer. I hate putting them up and taking them down and I can’t do it by myself.
Old 01-12-2018, 06:48 PM

the suspense is killing me
Old 01-12-2018, 07:20 PM

would love to see or hear your idea,when you decide to market -- I too have had some close calls and sore muscles from trying the ""one man show"" good luck & let us know**
Old 01-12-2018, 07:49 PM

I've heard that there is a ladder stand out there with some sort of locking jaw up at the platform but I've never seen it.
Old 01-12-2018, 07:55 PM

I have one of the winch type.... it's does not work that good as you mentioned.... keep me posted. I'm 62 and getting to where I need something to assist.
Old 01-12-2018, 07:56 PM

I feel your pain and I certainly hope your device works, problem I run into is there never is any one around to help when you need to put one up, I use an extension ladder a “I” bolt a heavy rope and my wheeler, works but not the safest, keep us posted
Old 01-12-2018, 08:54 PM

I have similar issues. I can't wait to see it.
Old 01-12-2018, 10:28 PM
Retired Moderator

Good idea. I have seen one that uses a hand cranked windless and a well pulley. I hope your works we need something to help us “mature “ hunters stay independent
Old 01-12-2018, 11:23 PM

This is why I use a climber
Old 01-13-2018, 12:14 AM

Nothing wrong with a climber, Permit - even at my age, I use one often. If this fully suits your style of hunting - that is awesome - but as we all know, ladder stands are viable and are here to stay.

While I find climbers far less comfortable - and I use a Summit Goliath that is awesome - they are far easier to move, if you can find the right tree to climb (which is often hard in the Midwest).

While I still hunt a climber - most times, I sit a ladder stand. The ladder, to me, is far more comfortable and in terms of an accident, far safer statistically. In all honesty, I am simply able to sit with more confidence in a ladder and can sit for longer periods of time. I can make 12 hours in a ladder - I have never made 12 hours in a climber that I can recall.

In a ladder, for me, it is easier to stand and turn, easier to urinate, easier to eat my lunch, easier to re-cock my crossbow, easier to access my pack, easier to ascend and descend, is generally much roomier - you name it....

What I did not think about, however - was how hard a double ladder stand is to put up because we have so few of them.

I do not believe my design will be affected by the additional weight or width of the double ladder stand but I have one at my SC lease that is 24’ tall (yes, well over 20’ tall) and I can (as a test) lower and raise it with my device to make sure this does not present a problem.

What I do recall was that it kicked me any my buddy’s butt when we put it up manually - and he played fullback for 4 years at Tennessee (go Dawgs) so he is a beast.

I am gonna make the 21’ double ladder stand test on Sunday and will provide details from there.

Thanks for all the feedback!

Jim

Last edited by Jim Boyd; 01-13-2018 at 12:35 AM.
Old 01-13-2018, 12:22 AM

If you come up with something like that it would be among the top 10 things for deer hunting since the baker tree stand came out.
Old 01-13-2018, 12:36 AM

Jim, in all seriousness hunting alone is not the best of ideas at our ages. Especially out of state! But I wil be interested in seeing your invention. I'm sure you would have no problem selling quite a few of them if it works!
Old 01-13-2018, 12:39 AM

Come on, Kevin - we ain’t THAT old.

I use a SPOT device and generally, someone knows where I am.

If I am not down and safe by 30 mins past dark:30, my bride will be on the horn to my buddies and the landowners.

It is all good!!!!
Old 01-13-2018, 08:59 AM

Check out the x stand treestands
Old 01-13-2018, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Boyd View Post
Come on, Kevin - we ain’t THAT old.

I use a SPOT device and generally, someone knows where I am.

If I am not down and safe by 30 mins past dark:30, my bride will be on the horn to my buddies and the landowners.

It is all good!!!!
Just trying to see if you need a hunt partner when your brother can't go. LoL I usually have a little time off in Nov
Old 01-13-2018, 02:25 PM
Default Ladder Stand Challenges

Can't wait to see what you come up with because they way I do it is a pain but pretty safe. For those of you that need to put up a stand before this invention is made here's a safe way to do it especially putting that first strap or chain around the tree. If you have a good tree rope you can use that which I did for years but last year I bought a 100' steel cable. Probably 1/8"-1/4" or so. First I climb the tree in my portable a little higher that what the height of my stand will be. Make sure you take the cable up the tree with you or you really will get a workout. I have a small chain similar to a swing set chain and 2 caribeaners that I wrap around the tree and attach a small pulley to. I then go back down and attach one end of the cable to the stand and the other to my winch or straight to my Atl if you have room. Winch the stand up. Climb back up in my portable and tie the stand to the tree. Time consuming but no pulled muscles, stands falling over or freaking out climbing the ladder to get the strap around the tree wondering if you have the stand at the right angle. Have done all the above.
Old 01-13-2018, 05:56 PM

Very interested in what you have come up with. Lotta places I hunt it is hard to find a tree in the "right spot" that is straight enough to get a climber or lock-on to work.
Old 01-13-2018, 08:00 PM

X stand tree stands are interesting but don’t solve the problem of getting the unit stood up and aligned to the tree.

Would love to see one in action, however!!

Kevin, love to have you on a hunt but my Tennessee buddy is coming this year (2018) and I think Ronnie (brother) is coming next year.

I have an issue tomorrow that may delay the test of the new process by a week - gotta run down to the SC lease for a few chores. If I get back in time, I wil test the prototype.

Thanks all!!
Old 01-14-2018, 09:45 PM

I just take my 24 foot step ladder with me. I go about 20 foot up in the tree on it and throw a rope over top of step ladder on each side of tree and then just tie it on to each side of ladder stand at top. I then walk stand up as my 100 lb wife keeps tension on the ropes. Works like a charm. I did it the stupid ways for years til I discovered this method. Truth is I got too old to do it the stupid way and had to figure out a better way !!! Boys, I hunt out of a 20 foot high Hawk Denali and it is a cadillac of a tree stand !!! Just remember this: A weak mind will work you to death !!! That is why I found the best way I have seen so far !!!