; Cheap 6.5 Creedmoor - Georgia Outdoor News Forum

GON Magazine | GON Classifieds

Go Back   Georgia Outdoor News Forum > Firearms > Firearms, Reloading and Scopes

Old 01-07-2018, 07:32 PM
Default Cheap 6.5 Creedmoor

I decided I wanted to play with the 6.5 Creedmoor and going the cheap route. Have a T/C Compass coming and a Leupold Marksman ($150 at Cabelas) coming. I will attach the suppressor and see if I can shoot a few pigs after getting it sighted in. With the low price and the $75 rebate (or prepaid master card now) it was hard to resist
Old 01-07-2018, 08:46 PM

Just got a Compass myself with Vortex Crossfire and shot it last weekend.
For the price, it's a solid rifle IMO. I only sighted in at 25 yds (time limited) and got 1" groups with Hornady American Whitetail ammo. Going back next weekend to tune it to 100 yds.
At $300, I'm pleased so far. The only negative for me, I'm not a fan of the safety. I'd prefer a tang style on the rear, but I can live with it.
Old 01-07-2018, 08:54 PM

I shot my creed to 500, long skinny 6.5 bullets from what I hear on compass if u find the right one it'll shoot.
Old 01-07-2018, 09:37 PM

Shot mine today at 700yds and 1,600yds. The cartridge has no problems stretching its legs.
John 8:12 I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life.
Old 01-08-2018, 07:56 PM

I bought a Winchester XPR just the other day... should be able to pick it up tomorrow. I got a good deal on it, too, and was thinking about putting a Vortex Diamondback on it. I've never had a Vortex before but I see/hear a lot of folks talking good about them.
Old 01-08-2018, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shane256 View Post
was thinking about putting a Vortex Diamondback on it. I've never had a Vortex before but I see/hear a lot of folks talking good about them.
For about $100 more you could get a SWFA and have a much more durable and reliable optic. Their 10X is a very good long range scope for those on a budget and built tough. I would put the tracking and zero retention in the SWFA's up against any Vortex, short of the Gen II Razors.
John 8:12 I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life.
Old 01-08-2018, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wareagle700 View Post
For about $100 more you could get a SWFA and have a much more durable and reliable optic. Their 10X is a very good long range scope for those on a budget and built tough. I would put the tracking and zero retention in the SWFA's up against any Vortex, short of the Gen II Razors.
Thanks for the info. The last two/three scopes I've bought were Leopold VX2 which are in that price range ($299 unless they are on sale). I've got a deck of Academy gift cards (Christmas stocking stuffers) that I was planning to use so I'm kind of limited to what they carry. I don't see the SWFAs there I'm definitely open to other brands, though if there's a better choice (that Academy carries) in that price range.
Old 01-09-2018, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the info. The last two/three scopes I've bought were Leopold VX2 which are in that price range ($299 unless they are on sale). I've got a deck of Academy gift cards (Christmas stocking stuffers) that I was planning to use so I'm kind of limited to what they carry. I don't see the SWFAs there I'm definitely open to other brands, though if there's a better choice (that Academy carries) in that price range.
Look into the Diamondback tactical 4-12x. Ruger did a little video where they threw one on a stock Amercan predator 6.5creed and got hits at 1000yds. For the price, its a very nice scope, and offers pretty good tracking. Will get the job done at a decent starter scope price. I believe they run around $350?
Old 01-10-2018, 03:23 PM

Just picked up the Compass from the dealer. It feels pretty solid and about right weight wise. I like the way it handles better than the Ruger Americans I have tried. According to UPS the scope should be here tomorrow and I already have the rings. Picked up some Winchester 125 gr ammo to try out. Man them are some pointy bullets!
Old 01-10-2018, 04:54 PM

Friend of mine is buying a 6.5 in the Ruger Predator sometime this year and I'll be anxious to shoot it and see how it does. For the price of the TC that's hard to say no to! I'm curious to hear about how you like that scope too. I'm in the market for some good cheap glass for a gun and it's been on my list.
Old 01-10-2018, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chase4556 View Post
Look into the Diamondback tactical 4-12x. Ruger did a little video where they threw one on a stock Amercan predator 6.5creed and got hits at 1000yds. For the price, its a very nice scope, and offers pretty good tracking. Will get the job done at a decent starter scope price. I believe they run around $350?
I intend this to be a hunting rifle so long range isn't going to be an issue (at least, not anywhere near 1000yds). Someone I know has a Nikon ProStaff 5 3.5-14 that he likes so that's another bargain one for me to check out. I'm not totally sold on 14x, though. I think it might be a little much, thinking about 12x if I can find something.
Old 01-11-2018, 01:06 AM

Quote:
I intend this to be a hunting rifle so long range isn't going to be an issue (at least, not anywhere near 1000yds). Someone I know has a Nikon ProStaff 5 3.5-14 that he likes so that's another bargain one for me to check out. I'm not totally sold on 14x, though. I think it might be a little much, thinking about 12x if I can find something.
Vortex Diamondback HP 3x12x42 is one you might want to look at.
Old 01-11-2018, 07:03 AM

I bought the compass 6.5 creedmoor a few months back and I did get the rebate a couple of weeks back (it was a check). Been tinkering with the loads in it and using a Speer 140 grain Hot Core flat base bullet with IMR4451 powder, I have gotten it to 1/2 MOA. Don't think I can do that every time (probably operator), but it has been 1 MOA or better every trip out with that load.

Rosewood
Old 01-11-2018, 01:59 PM

UPS sent me notification that they delivered the Leupold. I will have to sight it in in the morning and try to pop a deer or pig tomorrow afternoon (or night for the piggies)
Old 01-11-2018, 10:10 PM

Mounted the scope tonight and did a quick bore sight and it looks pretty close. I will get her dialed in in the morning. I like the way this gun looks and feels!

Last edited by pacecars; 01-12-2018 at 08:12 PM.
Old 01-12-2018, 08:17 PM

Got it sighted in 2.5 inches high at 100 yards. 5 shots in a 1/2 inch group with 125gr Winchester ammo. With the suppressor it is not too bad sound wise. Recoil is negligible. I am liking this gun more and more
Old 01-30-2018, 06:38 AM
Top Chef

I just took a look at the Winchester loads for this cartridge.

http://www.winchester.com/PRODUCTS/R...ges/S65LR.aspx

Their 142 gr Accubond looks mighty tempting, too. .719 ballistic coefficient.

I can see the Creedmoor's appeal among the long distance shooting crowd.
Old 01-30-2018, 07:32 AM

I got mine in as well (Winchester XPR). I put that Nikon 3.5-14 on it. I haven't had time to get to the range yet, though. I've been on call on the weekends every since and still like 3 weeks more
Old 02-08-2018, 12:32 PM

I too joined the 6.5 creedmore compass group. Couldnt resist KYgunCos deal I,m debating on the scope for it. Right now I'm between a leupold vx3 4.5x14x50 and a vortex viper 6.5x20x50

thoughts on them scopes?
Old 02-08-2018, 12:39 PM

Those compass rifles are a crazy good deal. Thinking about one in .223
Old 02-08-2018, 08:51 PM

I tried the Ruger American and the Compass and I was surprised that the Compass actually felt better to me. I mean it ain't a Kimber, Steyr Mannlicher or Brno (speaking of which, if you ever want to sell your 8x57 please keep me in mind) but it is a CensoredCensoredCensoredCensored of a lot better than its price would indicate
Old 02-09-2018, 06:40 AM
Default Savage 12FV

At Cabelas NRA event the rifle is $269 after rebate. Multiple short action calibers available.

They do this about every 12 months. In the cheap rifle battle I think this gun has been the best value in the market the past 3 years. I may go buy another 6.5 creedmoor just to have the barrel and action
Old 02-10-2018, 08:04 PM

Near the end of the American Rifleman review at https://www.americanrifleman.org/art...-rifle-review/ he says "the composite stock is somewhat easily contorted if pressure is applied to the fore-end, such as when “stacking” a bipod or cinching tightly on a sling (i.e. military-style or Ching Sling). This can affect the barrel’s free-floating nature." Has anybody here who has one noticed this problem?

The author also said the stock has an undeniable "cheap" feel to it, but I disagree. Today I went to Academy to look at one and thought the rifle had a very nice feel to it. I've always preferred the feel of the Remington 700 to all other rifles I've shot, and the TC Compass feels very much the same to me. I also very much like the threaded muzzle which allows use of muzzle brake or suppressor which makes it a good choice for youngsters or anyone recoil sensitive without need to buy reduced recoil ammo.
Old 02-10-2018, 11:35 PM

Here’s a good deal if you want to get in the 6.5 game.

https://www.classicfirearms.com/sava...reedmoor-22656
Old 02-11-2018, 09:09 AM
Default Dont buy the Axis over the 12FV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert28 View Post
Heres a good deal if you want to get in the 6.5 game.

https://www.classicfirearms.com/sava...reedmoor-22656
As someone with 6 savage rifles the model 12 is superior and more upgradeable than the axis.