GON Magazine | GON Classifieds

Go Back   Georgia Outdoor News Forum > Birds, Birds and More Birds > Turkey Talk
Notices

Old 09-27-2017, 04:48 PM

Killing gobblers only is not a problem

Season timing before or during peak breeding might be a problem.

Not sure when peak breeding is north to south.

I bet it varies between south GA and north GA.
Old 09-28-2017, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gut_pile View Post
not saying that lowering the limit wouldn't help, but i think it's just a very small percentage of the problem.

Imo, habitat helps cure most of the issues we are seeing.

With good habitat you have a better chance for nests to survive and hatch, better chance for poults to survive, and a better chance for turkeys to live to maturity.

Lack of habitat makes predators a problem.
what he said!!!!!!!!
Old 09-28-2017, 11:30 PM

I see more turkeys now than ever before. My father said he never saw a turkey on our land in his life. Now I see them frequently. I don't hunt them but work on predators when I can and plant food plots for deer and quail. We have thinned timber and do rotating burns on about 300 acres. Location SW Ga.
Old 09-29-2017, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Raines View Post
Want to help turkey numbers?.......How about no timber cutting during nesting season
And quit clear cutting all the good roost and mast trees.

"It's far easier than you think to manipulate a nation of naive, self-absorbed sheep..." ~Congressman X
Old 01-12-2018, 09:30 PM

I'm bored and have been reading. I have lived in wv and va and have hunted both. I grew up in WV and first went spring gobbler hunting in 1983. I can remember in the 80s the birds were very vocal and there were lots of them. It was true as I remember if u worked a tom and messed up on him, u just went around the property and found another one to work. That was very true! The 90s rolled around with alot of the same. Very good hunting and lots of birds. Very vocal. The 2000s rolled around with bird numbers continuing to drop and less gobbling, JMO. But, I have heard some say that there mite be as many birds, but just alot less gobbling. That is one thing I can say for sure, there is less gobbling now. I grew up bird hunting with my dad and grandfather. They have been fall bird hunting in the virginias since the early 50s and then started spring hunting when it first started, '67 or 68' I believe. So, over the years we have talked about how turkey hunting has changed. My grandfather told me up here on the NF in the 70s he never saw anyone else hunting or calling birds in the spring. Alot has changed. One thing I do know for sure in WV is a hard winter with no mast will take a toll on the game. Thats a fact. But, i guess u fellows down in ga dont have that to worry about. A very interesting topic. Thanks