Go Back   Georgia Outdoor News Forum > Spiritual Help and Religion Discussions > Spiritual Discussions and Study

Old 02-09-2018, 08:08 PM
Default Some Theories of His Second Coming

1. That He spiritually descended on the day of Pentecost which was the second coming. This theory does not hold true, for all the New testament was written after that day and all the writers wrote of a future coming of Christ. Jesus, in speaking of the Holy Spirit, said He would be another comforter and not a second coming of Himself.(John 14:16, 17, 26; 15:26, 27; 16:7-16).
2. That the second coming is when the Lord comes at the conversion of the sinner. This cannot be, for at conversion there is no literal coming of the sinner to Jesus nor the literal coming of Jesus to the sinner. At conversion there is a spiritual work in the heart of the sinner who merely repents.
3. That death is the second coming of the Lord. This would be absurd, for about three people die every two seconds; ninety every minute; 5,400 hourly; 129,600 daily; 907,200 weekly; and 47,304,000 annually.
4. That His coming transpired at the destruction of Jerusalem in 70 A. D. This in view is fallacious, for at His coming Jesus will restore Jerusalem, not destroy it (Zech. 14:1-21; Luke 21:24).
5. That His coming is the preaching of the gospel. This is certainly not correct, for the preaching of the gospel has covered a period of many centuries, while His coming is to take place suddenly (Matt. 24:27-51; 2 Thess. 1:7-10).
6. That all the prophecies concerning His coming are to be spiritually interpreted and that there is no literal coming. This would practically destroy the veracity of God's Word and render it of none effect as did the belief of the Jews when they spiritualized the prophecies of the first coming, which were literally fulfilled (Luke 1:31). If this verse was literally fulfilled in the first coming of Christ, so must Luke 1:32, 33, be literally fulfilled relative to His second coming. It is a gross perversion of Scripture to attempt to make a literal meaning convey the idea that the second coming will simply be a spiritual coming. This fact will be readily seen by the reader upon perusal of the passages as given in point one above.
Old 02-09-2018, 08:50 PM

Prepare ye thou for the 70AD onslaught
Old 02-09-2018, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NE GA Pappy View Post
Prepare ye thou for the 70AD onslaught
Maybe not !
Old 02-10-2018, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banjo Picker View Post
1. That He spiritually descended on the day of Pentecost which was the second coming. This theory does not hold true, for all the New testament was written after that day and all the writers wrote of a future coming of Christ. Jesus, in speaking of the Holy Spirit, said He would be another comforter and not a second coming of Himself.(John 14:16, 17, 26; 15:26, 27; 16:7-16).
2. That the second coming is when the Lord comes at the conversion of the sinner. This cannot be, for at conversion there is no literal coming of the sinner to Jesus nor the literal coming of Jesus to the sinner. At conversion there is a spiritual work in the heart of the sinner who merely repents.
3. That death is the second coming of the Lord. This would be absurd, for about three people die every two seconds; ninety every minute; 5,400 hourly; 129,600 daily; 907,200 weekly; and 47,304,000 annually.
4. That His coming transpired at the destruction of Jerusalem in 70 A. D. This in view is fallacious, for at His coming Jesus will restore Jerusalem, not destroy it (Zech. 14:1-21; Luke 21:24).
5. That His coming is the preaching of the gospel. This is certainly not correct, for the preaching of the gospel has covered a period of many centuries, while His coming is to take place suddenly (Matt. 24:27-51; 2 Thess. 1:7-10).
6. That all the prophecies concerning His coming are to be spiritually interpreted and that there is no literal coming. This would practically destroy the veracity of God's Word and render it of none effect as did the belief of the Jews when they spiritualized the prophecies of the first coming, which were literally fulfilled (Luke 1:31). If this verse was literally fulfilled in the first coming of Christ, so must Luke 1:32, 33, be literally fulfilled relative to His second coming. It is a gross perversion of Scripture to attempt to make a literal meaning convey the idea that the second coming will simply be a spiritual coming. This fact will be readily seen by the reader upon perusal of the passages as given in point one above.
Brother, I appreciate your diligence and what I believe is a desire to be a help.
I have no particular disagreement with any of your endeavors to clarify.

Yet I find a question that so often presents itself when there seems a dividing line drawn between things described as literal vs spiritual...as though one is truer than the other. In many cases it is the "literal" that seems to be exalted as a something in opposition to what is referred to as (in some sense) as the merely spiritual. To the end that the truth of a matter is discerned not by revelation (of and by the Spirit) but by something else. A "fitting" of (so to speak) into a prior understanding of the qualification for what is decided already, to be true.

This may sound circular and/or confusing, which I do hope I do not mean it to be. So, I can only offer this for consideration in the end of my hope.

The disciples asked Him, “Why then do the scribes say that Elijah must come first?”
Jesus replied, “Elijah does indeed come, and he will restore all things. But I tell you that Elijah has already come, and they did not recognize him, but have done to him whatever they wished. In the same way, the Son of Man will suffer at their hands.” Then the disciples understood that He was speaking to them about John the Baptist.

How much may remain of a "not recognizing" due to our seeing through a glass darkly, do any of us know?
Old 02-10-2018, 07:48 AM

How will your choice among the six interpretations, or the implied seventh, effect your obedience of the two commandments upon which depend the whole of the Law and the Prophets?
Old 02-11-2018, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummerpoo View Post
How will your choice among the six interpretations, or the implied seventh, effect your obedience of the two commandments upon which depend the whole of the Law and the Prophets?
One of two ways.