Go Back   Georgia Outdoor News Forum > Spiritual Help and Religion Discussions > Spiritual Discussions and Study

Old 02-28-2018, 08:31 PM
Default Preachers and money

The preacher who came before Christ lived off locust and honey and the one who came after Christ supported himself so he could be blameless. What about preachers today with large congregations that live well and are paid above the national average House hold income?
Old 02-28-2018, 09:05 PM

''You'll know them by their fruits.'' Careful, it's not a very popular thing to point this out in today's religious world. A lot of preachers will be hating on you.
Old 03-01-2018, 09:07 AM

"Christianity is big business " An actual quote from a pastor to me when I was a young man. He was right.
Old 03-01-2018, 09:34 AM
Administrator

As in any other business/organization/activity, there are good ones and bad ones. There are preachers who are in it solely for the money and take a lot from gullible folks; but there are also those who are in it because of their convictions and make little or nothing off of it, or spend a lot of their own money on it. I respect the latter, and despise the former.
Old 03-01-2018, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy D Fellers View Post
The preacher who came before Christ lived off locust and honey and the one who came after Christ supported himself so he could be blameless. What about preachers today with large congregations that live well and are paid above the national average House hold income?
What about them? If they are good pastors, do God's works, and have a large church/congregation they should be paid well.
Old 03-01-2018, 02:20 PM

While Jesus lived, Priests in the Temple lived comfortable lives with far above average incomes. We tend to lump all of those Priests into a single group of "evil" self serving men who wanted the Savior crucified, but the Bible says differently. Many of the leading "good guy" New Testament figures were "salaried pastors" with comparably high incomes. They were witnesses to the divine pregnancy of Mary, and they were there to provide a resting place for the crucified body of the Lord.

It is not the compensation, but the ministry, that is important.
Old 03-01-2018, 05:46 PM

The disciple's relationship to money is tested. We already know the world's...it's that from which we are being delivered.
Old 03-01-2018, 06:22 PM

Billy Graham is worth 25 million, about 7th in line to some worth 5x that. I find it interesting that the Seraphium, in all their glory, covered themselves, in humility, in front of God. Prophets of God went around in sackcloth. An intentional effort to not be admired but just the opposite, to keep oneself humble, because no one is admiring them. Intentionally wearing this sackcloth
Old 03-04-2018, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy D Fellers View Post
Quote:
What about preachers today with large congregations that live well and are paid above the national average House hold income?
For every preacher out there living "above" I'm willing to bet there are 10 living below it. Additionally many living "above" work a regular job and preach on the side.
You got something against them too?

And what about those living above. What exactly is wrong with that. Do you hold all people who live "above"
in contempt, because if you don't, if it's just the preachers that you feel this way about......well that's hypocrisy. Kinda pot calling kettle black huh?

Promise you Brother, if you give your life to Christ we won't hold you to the locust and honey diet. You can be just like the rest of us hypocrites and eat whatever your food stamps will buy.
Old 03-04-2018, 08:28 PM

''You'll know them by their fruits.'' If there always preachin' on/beggin' for $ then it's easy to see what there after. Contentment is something all believers should be in pursuit of, weather we're rich or poor. If they are preachin' Jesus Christ and Him crucified they got my support. If they wanna preach profit and grow ''their'' ministry then they just need to get a job!!!
Old 03-07-2018, 12:36 PM

Our Pastor makes enough off his pay to take care of his gas, an oil change, and maybe a nice out to eat dinner with his wife. He was offered once to "Apply" for a pastors position that would pay big money. He laughed and said if the Lord has not led him there he sure was not going to "Apply" for a position. He works for God and he goes to where God sends him.
Old 03-07-2018, 04:51 PM

I attend a church of about 2300 members. We pay our pastor pretty well, but we have offered more, and he refuses it. He says to send it to missions, use it for the youth groups, buy food to feed the hungry, or anything else needed.

He also oversees 2 satellite campuses. One is just started in Madison Georgia, the other in Dahlonega. Dahlonega runs around 250 to 300 on Sundays.

I would say he probably deserves to make more than the average of his congregation. He is carrying a bigger load that Pappy could handle, I guarantee
Old 03-07-2018, 05:11 PM

Pastor should be humble and have enough money to have his needs met....but not drive a fancy vehicle or live in a mansion. Those that do have 0 credibility, in my opinion. All the "prosperity" clowns are just that, clowns.
Old 03-08-2018, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NE GA Pappy View Post
I would say he probably deserves to make more than the average of his congregation. He is carrying a bigger load that Pappy could handle, I guarantee
Why does he deserve to make more than the average of his congregation? In God's eyes he is no less nor no greater than you, me, or anyone else. God is no respecter of person. You preach/pastor because God called you to do so. God gave the burden, if God did not give the pastor the burden then he should not be standing behind the book board. It is not a position to be working for "money", that should be at the bottom of the list.
Old 04-02-2018, 10:45 AM

I can't find anywhere in my Bible where God is opposed to blessing those who give their life for His kingdom. It is not my place to judge another man, regardless of his position or title. If a man's heart is in the right place, I have no issue with him being blessed, having a nice home or car, etc. The Lord said that those who honor Him, He will honor.
Old 04-02-2018, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j_seph View Post
Why does he deserve to make more than the average of his congregation? In God's eyes he is no less nor no greater than you, me, or anyone else. God is no respecter of person. You preach/pastor because God called you to do so. God gave the burden, if God did not give the pastor the burden then he should not be standing behind the book board. It is not a position to be working for "money", that should be at the bottom of the list.
I can assure you he isn't there for the money. The reason he deserves more than the average of his congregation is he has much, much more responsibilities than the average joe. Just like a supervisor makes more than a line worker, and a CEO, COO, CFO makes more than a supervisor. This man has a staff of over 30 people under him to supervise, a school with over 150 kids that is his ultimate responsibility and 2300 people who expect the pastor to be available when they have a crisis.

I guess the the old saying about pastors is right.

God will keep the humble, and the deacons will keep the broke.
Old 04-02-2018, 11:31 AM

A lot of people have envy of anyone doing well in life. I wish I could write a check and really bless the pastoral staff at my church. It doesn't matter to me if they are driving a 1995 Chevy with 300K miles on it, or a brand new Mercedes Benz. My job is not to keep them in line. My job is to be obedient and do God's calling in my life.

If people would do what they know to do, rather than looking around and judging how other people are doing their jobs, we would have a much happier world.

Last edited by NE GA Pappy; 04-02-2018 at 12:59 PM.
Old 04-02-2018, 02:27 PM

It of little concern to me what manner of income a pastor has.

I do find it amusing that Baptist ministers are rarely feel called to pastor a church where the income is less than their current position. I am sure it happens, but not often enough for me to have knowledge of it.
Old 04-03-2018, 06:10 AM

I am sometimes convinced the measure to which we are concerned with the income of others is in precise measure to which we are concerned with our own.

The world always speaks to us in manner of a closed system. There is always a fixed amount of honor, attention, affection, happiness, peace...and whatever is passing for money at the time. Thence, we are tricked into competition.

But..."I (we) saw the Heavens opened".

Last edited by Israel; 04-03-2018 at 07:47 AM.
Old 04-03-2018, 10:34 AM

1.) Preaching is a profession just like my being an engineer is my profession. They should get paid whatever the market allows, just as in my case.

2.) Preaching is a scholarly pursuit. I think it's right to say scholars should be paid such that they did not have to concern themselves with "money." I see no problem with making sure your preacher can focus on his scholarship. It will be to the congregation's benefit.

The Lord gives and takes. It is not my money nor my place to decide who "deserves" it and how much of it they "need."
Old 04-03-2018, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j_seph View Post
I'm not sold on "the call." I read in the good book where "he who desires the office of a bishop desireth a good thing." It says nothing of "called." I desired to be an engineer, so I became one. It seems reasonable to say the same of a preacher.
Old 04-04-2018, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EverGreen1231 View Post
I'm not sold on "the call." I read in the good book where "he who desires the office of a bishop desireth a good thing." It says nothing of "called." I desired to be an engineer, so I became one. It seems reasonable to say the same of a preacher.

That's an excellent point.

I think money talks. I don't think men say that without reason. And like many things that are passing away its voice gets louder the nearer to its demise it comes.
I think most everything finds a fury just before its life, found in the knowledge that its life, is about to be snuffed out. All pretty much...except One
"As a sheep before its shearers is dumb, so He opened not His mouth".

What's the point? Part is projection. Part is what we ourselves are experiencing as this voice is raised. Money really wants for the disciple's deep attention. Perhaps deepest (next to his own self). This false bulwark to being has always had great sway in the mind of man. And, as the disciple begins to become aware of it...and its pull, many struggles and sufferings may ensue.

Money has taken on the representation of so many things, peace, security, happiness, the manifest show of bigness. Even of "life" itself...having smiled upon us.
But we, who are set for a thing far greater than the seems of this present age must find ourselves engaged in that fight of faith against all that is of seems, for the true.

It's too easy then, while in this arena, often being bloodied to some extent to hold to truth, that a look around at others claiming this same arena don't appear engaged in the same fight. This is where projection may distort. If I am fighting the reign of money in my mind and heart as to its seating there (and perhaps it's of some wisdom to never underestimate its desire to reign) and see one who claims to not only "be" in this same arena...(but has in some form of claim) risen to some level of master in it, teacher in it, (after all we are discussing "pastors"/teachers) with what I would consider (perhaps in error, by my own metrics) an overabundance of it, it's far to easy for me to project this is all and only result of his (or her) willing surrender to it.

But money is not all, and only, is it? In this arena we find friends are invaluable. We are, whether we know it or not, always keen to a searching for "who's got the goods". Who's got the scars that speak of a prior triumph from which I might be equipped to a victory...or help in it. I have met many, and continue to meet many. And desperation is a great teacher when we find ourselves with enemy's sword at throat, the man with bulging pockets may find rescue by the pauper, and the pauper may find friend in gold laden fellow. It's a place we learn...we cannot do without friend, despite all prior and previous "wiser" dismissals.

Of course...it is always and only the Lord. But while we are too quick to dismiss and decide only how He may come to us, we may find ourselves in need of revisit. It's His choice how He appears. Whether in rags or tailored suit.

(Or an engineer with possible pocket protector)