GON Magazine | GON Classifieds

Go Back   Georgia Outdoor News Forum > Deer and Small Game Hunting and Trail Cams > Bear Hunting

Old 09-21-2017, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The mtn man View Post
If I shoot a bear where I'm going, I'll be packing it out. What are the rules on packing one out? Don't you have to bring the head , and sex identification.

The past few I've killed I packed out the head and hide in one bag and the meat in another. The dnr guy was ok with that, and he pulled a tooth to send it off for aging. they like the hide so they can measure it for estimated weight.
Old 09-21-2017, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckman18 View Post
The past few I've killed I packed out the head and hide in one bag and the meat in another. The dnr guy was ok with that, and he pulled a tooth to send it off for aging. they like the hide so they can measure it for estimated weight.
Gotcha
Old 09-21-2017, 12:49 PM

You must have the head, hide, and might want to keep the claws for yourself. The head and hide adds considerable weight to a pack out. Could add as much as an additional 30-75 lbs depending on the size of the bear.
Old 09-23-2017, 01:25 PM

Heard a shot @11:45.
Old 09-23-2017, 02:29 PM

Hadn't heard any shots round me. Saw a 75# or so about 840. Nothing since.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 09-23-2017, 04:26 PM

It was a bust for me this morning. I set out on a hunch, and hit a big bench I had never been to before. I had spotted several big bears at both the bottom and the top over the last several weeks, so I hit the bench in the middle thinking it was part of their travel route and likely a good place to catch one.

Wrong.

Nothing but red oaks, pines, maple, sourwood, and chestnut oaks. There was a little deer feeding sign and some deer tracks and trails, but in terms of bear or hog sign, it was deader than a door nail. The deadest place I have been in weeks. No bear trails, droppings (new or old), paw prints in the leaves. Literally no sign whatsoever. I messed up this a.m. on the hunch. Might be back to deer hunt that bench, but it is one place I can forever check off my list in terms of early season bear hunting. I was out of the woods by 10:00, and went down the the river on the WMA to fish for a couple of hours before I came home. Good luck to the rest of you guys. I'll be back out there tomorrow evening!
Old 09-23-2017, 07:46 PM

i shot a decent one. Tracking dog in route. Anyone wanna help drag? I'll buy the beer!
Old 09-23-2017, 08:53 PM

How was the woods y'all are hunting? It was a wreck the first spot I was at. Went to another and it was fairly good shape except for broke limbs. I eyed a gap from the road that I usually hunt and looked like a tornado went through it.
Old 09-23-2017, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tree cutter 08 View Post
How was the woods y'all are hunting? It was a wreck the first spot I was at. Went to another and it was fairly good shape except for broke limbs. I eyed a gap from the road that I usually hunt and looked like a tornado went through it.
My favorite spot was hit & miss. Some big trees down, and some that just had the branches snapped off.
Old 09-23-2017, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerrik View Post
i shot a decent one. Tracking dog in route. Anyone wanna help drag? I'll buy the beer!
Any luck?
Old 09-24-2017, 09:19 AM

Tracking dog had blood for a while, and lost it at water. We trailed tiny spots of blood for almost 4 hours, and came up empty. Left my house yesterday morning @4am. Got home this morning @4am. It was a long, exciting, and frustrating day.

I want to thank jbogg & joe Brandon. Those 2 guys were in camp eating dinner, when I came by at almost 10pm. And they immediately offered to help. Couldn't ask for nicer guys.
Old 09-24-2017, 09:23 AM

Hey man we're real sorry you didn't find your bear. Lord do I know the feeling. It was a pleasure to meet you.
Old 09-24-2017, 10:41 AM

After my daughters soccer game, we made it to the WMA about 3:00. Had an hour walk, and about 30 minutes in the hurricane had decimated an area to the point it was to big of a headache to continue with a 10 yr old...

So we called an audible, and went to another area. Sign was only so so but by now it was getting late. Set up and made the most out of a screwed up evening. Then, heard something walking. Very steady. Not a squirrel! This is big game coming. Got daughter positioned with her 243, a bear or hog is fast approaching.... Then here he comes!!! Hearts beating, could see vegetation moving, I'm already coaching daughter what to do and to wait on my go ahead... Then I see antlers. Antlers??? Not just antlers, but a freaking Rack! Out steps a 4.5-5.5 yr old 8 pointer. Feeding on acorns. Watched him for over 10 minutes THROUGH the scope! I've hunted Chattahoochee all bow season and this is the first deer I've seen! A legit 115"... Bear/hog only hunt, all we could do was watch!

Oh well, how often is it in the mountains do you get to watch a very mature buck in September, with the crosshairs on it's shoulder, and can do nothing about it. Definitely one for the memory book!
Old 09-24-2017, 11:51 AM

I'll most likely be back out there, next Saturday. That ridge I was on had a TON of sign. They are moving, above 2500ft.
Old 09-25-2017, 02:54 PM

Saw a crap ton of bear and hog sign and alot of hogs. Shot a 125lb sow yesterday afternoon, I'll upload pics later with a story. And missed a 300+ boar at about 250 yds. I could see his tusks from that far away(3 ridges over). That one hurt cause I rushed the shot cause of how fast everything happened, it sucked to say the least. The high areas are covered up in acorns and hogs.
Old 09-25-2017, 04:35 PM

http://forum.gon.com/showthread.php?t=906206 this is the hog I shot with a story
Old 09-26-2017, 11:07 AM
Default Hot and tons of blowdown

Says it all. Checked out a new area on Chestatee. The blowdown in places is crazy. Did find decent sign in 2 gaps no bears or hogs but did see a doe.

Moving on we're hitting the Parent/Child hunt next weekend on Coopers Creek. Good luck to all!

On a side note I did manage to monkey my young buck on a 1000'+ vertical elevation climb...
Attached Images

Old 09-26-2017, 01:01 PM

He looks wore slap out!!
Old 10-01-2017, 09:27 PM

Found what was left of mine, thanks to Joe Brandon. Longer post in the 2017 Kill Thread.
Old 10-04-2017, 10:53 PM

In an attempt to get a good copy of a Chattahoochee WMA Map I contacted the DNR office. When I was talking with a lady named Katey, she informed me that during "Check-in" hunts any bear killed must be brought to the Ranger Station, not field dressed, to be weighed and tagged. I told her that I took a photo of the Bear Hunting Guidelines three weeks ago that are posted on the WMA Ranger Station at Chattahoochee, when I was camping in the area, and the posted guidelines stated that bears and deer should be field dressed. She once again and said during Check-in hunts and only check-in hunts the bears must be brought out whole and checked. Do any of you guys have any experience of killing a bear during a check-in rifle hunt on the WMA and checking the kill at the Ranger Station?
Old 10-04-2017, 10:59 PM

The rifle hunt was a sign in hunt and at least at Chestatee there wasn't anybody manning the Check station.

I don't know about check in hunts but my son and I are going on one Friday. If we kill a bear in where we're going I'm bringing it out in pieces. I haven't found anything in the regs that says it has to be whole.
Old 10-05-2017, 08:05 AM

I killed one on that hunt. No one was manning the Chestatee check station. I phoned in the bear. The ranger told me to leave skull and hide with processor and he would be by in a day or two and tag the bear. You can decide what is best for you in terms of dragging the getting one out whether it be whole or field dressed or even quartered up. You just have to have the skull and hide intact. Report within the window and they will come to you to inspect it.
Old 10-05-2017, 08:34 AM

She did tell me that for normal sign in hunts that a hunter would contact DNR and set up tagging as you mentioned. However, she said that check in hunts were different because the check stations at manned and have different reqs. Just wasn’t sure and wanted to hear about all of your experiences.
Old 10-06-2017, 03:04 PM

She is mistaken. The only reason to not field dress one would be if you thought you had one for the record books and want an official weight. All that is necessary per the regs is the hide with skull still attached.
I might be hesitant to field dress one if it was real close to the minimum weight just in case removing the guts put you under 75 lbs though. I could definitely see some wardens citing you for an underweight field dressed carcass even if it obviously would have been legal before removing the organs.
Old 10-06-2017, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tio Hey Seuss View Post
She is mistaken. The only reason to not field dress one would be if you thought you had one for the record books and want an official weight. All that is necessary per the regs is the hide with skull still attached.
I might be hesitant to field dress one if it was real close to the minimum weight just in case removing the guts put you under 75 lbs though. I could definitely see some wardens citing you for an underweight field dressed carcass even if it obviously would have been legal before removing the organs.
This