GON Magazine | GON Classifieds

Go Back   Georgia Outdoor News Forum > Deer and Small Game Hunting and Trail Cams > Bear Hunting

Old 07-05-2017, 09:54 AM

Have any of you guys ever tried calling for bears? Is that more of a spring tactic that doesn't apply to us since we don't have a spring season?
Old 07-06-2017, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitetailfreak View Post
I've seen 8 or 9 since March. If Joe don't kill one this season, I'm gonna bring him to my neck of the woods and put one in his lap
Let's keep our fingers crossed I get one!!!! That being said I owe you a dinner so we can hopefully hang out one day this Fall either way!
Old 07-06-2017, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Brandon View Post
Let's keep our fingers crossed I get one!!!! That being said I owe you a dinner so we can hopefully hang out one day this Fall either way!
Put whitetailfreak on your "bear recovery crew" list in case you smoke a giant. You won't know how much of a friend you've got until you make that call to your buddies! Haha! It'd go something like this:

YOU: "Dude, I just smoked a bear. Can you come give me a hand?"
FRIEND: Sure man, how big is the bear?"
YOU: "It's hard to say. I don't know, I'm thinking maybe four hundred?"
FRIEND: "Joe. Joe. Joe? Hey Joe, are you there?
YOU: "Hey man, I can hear you. Can you hear me?"
FRIEND: "Joe. Hey. Hey Joe. I....you're....hear..service....breaking up....."

*beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee eeeeeeppp
Old 07-06-2017, 10:14 PM

Kill the 130 pounders and let the bigguns go is my motto
Attached Images

Old 07-07-2017, 06:17 AM

They eat better too. A young bear is pretty much my favorite wild game to eat. I usually hunt alone and have passed up several big bruisers cause I knew I couldnt get them out before they sploild. I'm not about wasting meat. I need to get a dragging (or toting) list going. Who wants to be on there?
Old 07-07-2017, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ptothec View Post
Have any of you guys ever tried calling for bears? Is that more of a spring tactic that doesn't apply to us since we don't have a spring season?
I have tried it a couple of times with no results. I think its more a spring tactic. It might just work in a year when acorns are scarce.
Old 07-07-2017, 07:30 AM

Bear hunters best friend
Attached Images

Old 07-07-2017, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Kill the 130 pounders and let the bigguns go is my motto
Freak, I LOVE this picture!! It reminds me of the one in Kephart's "Our Southern Highlanders". This classic method of toting bears kind of pays homage to bear hunters past. You should put that picture in a frame!!
Old 07-08-2017, 06:22 AM

I like the sled, if ya strike out hunting you could always take a ride down the mountian, haha!
Old 07-08-2017, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by livinoutdoors View Post
I like the sled, if ya strike out hunting you could always take a ride down the mountian, haha!
Done that. It doubles as a snow sled
Old 07-08-2017, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer Kyle View Post
Freak, I LOVE this picture!! It reminds me of the one in Kephart's "Our Southern Highlanders". This classic method of toting bears kind of pays homage to bear hunters past. You should put that picture in a frame!!
Kyle, I killed that bear with my m.l. off down in one of the awfullest holes I've ever hunted. There were lots of rock boulders to navigate, and it kept flipping my sled, so we cut that Hickory Pole and toted him out. I know that Kephart photo well. During his time on Hazel Creek, Kephart lived just a mile or so from my great grandfather near the mines on Sugar Fork Creek. Hazel Creek was Kepharts "Back of beyond", but to my folks it was just home.
Old 07-08-2017, 02:33 PM

That would be a cool pic to filter it to black and white...just two men packing one out. I just think all hunting pics look good that way. I guess I just lean towards those , maybe my age or something.
Old 07-08-2017, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Kyle, I killed that bear with my m.l. off down in one of the awfullest holes I've ever hunted. There were lots of rock boulders to navigate, and it kept flipping my sled, so we cut that Hickory Pole and toted him out. I know that Kephart photo well. During his time on Hazel Creek, Kephart lived just a mile or so from my great grandfather near the mines on Sugar Fork Creek. Hazel Creek was Kepharts "Back of beyond", but to my folks it was just home.
I knew your family was from that area. That's an awesome rich history steeped in Appalachia! I bought a 1934 copy of the book last year and thought about your family frequently while reading it. I also recently bought a book called "Along the Appalachian Trail: Georgia, North Carolina, and Tennessee." It is loaded with awesome cintage photos of people building (establishing) the AT, local residents, first shelters, balds, shepherds cabins, free range pigs in 1910, and a bear hunter from 1910 with a bear slung across his shoulder. Loaded with awesome pictures. Look it up if you get the time!
Old 07-08-2017, 10:48 PM

Quote:
I knew your family was from that area. That's an awesome rich history steeped in Appalachia! I bought a 1934 copy of the book last year and thought about your family frequently while reading it. I also recently bought a book called "Along the Appalachian Trail: Georgia, North Carolina, and Tennessee." It is loaded with awesome cintage photos of people building (establishing) the AT, local residents, first shelters, balds, shepherds cabins, free range pigs in 1910, and a bear hunter from 1910 with a bear slung across his shoulder. Loaded with awesome pictures. Look it up if you get the time!
When you get a chance do a little research on "Uncle" Mark Cathey of Deep Creek. He lived on Indian Creek which is a trib of Deep Creek, and was considered by many as one of the best outdoorsman in the Smokies at the turn of the 20th century. He was a mountain man through and through. Cathey's death was particularly fitting.

Mark your calendar, last Sunday in June next year, I'm gonna take you with my family to a cemetery decoration at Bone Valley on Hazel Creek and show you some Smoky Mountain history at its finest. We'll cross Sugar Fork where Kephart lived and wrote "OSH". Let me know if your in.

Last edited by whitetailfreak; 07-08-2017 at 11:26 PM.
Old 07-09-2017, 02:14 PM

Quote:
When you get a chance do a little research on "Uncle" Mark Cathey of Deep Creek. He lived on Indian Creek which is a trib of Deep Creek, and was considered by many as one of the best outdoorsman in the Smokies at the turn of the 20th century. He was a mountain man through and through. Cathey's death was particularly fitting.

Mark your calendar, last Sunday in June next year, I'm gonna take you with my family to a cemetery decoration at Bone Valley on Hazel Creek and show you some Smoky Mountain history at its finest. We'll cross Sugar Fork where Kephart lived and wrote "OSH". Let me know if your in.
If there's room for one more count me in. Would love to see some of that mountain history.
Old 07-09-2017, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbogg View Post
If there's room for one more count me in. Would love to see some of that mountain history.
Absolutely, anyone who would like to make the trip to Hazel Creek that day is more than welcome. It will be the only opportunity you'll ever have to ride a motorized vehicle( Park Service ferries vehicles across for this day) up Hazel Creek to Bone Valley after being taken across Fontana Lake by boat. That day, we decorate the Bone Valley cemetary, visit the historic Hall Cabin and cemetery, have a creekside dinner, and short Church service near where the Bone Valley Church stood prior to GSMNP days. This is all very near where Kephart lived. It's kind of a Family Reunion.
Old 07-09-2017, 08:48 PM

Quote:

Count me right in! I read a short write up about that ceremony not long ago. That and the GON magazine fictional series about the turkey "The Admiral" this spring reminded me of something many of us here will appreciate. Do you remember "Paintbrush" from this forum? Ol Cliff was a master mountain turkey hunter. This past opening day of turkey season, his brother and his nephew killed turkeys on their white county property. They went straight to Cliffs grave, put the gobblers up on the headstone, and took a picture to honor Cliff. His niece sent me the picture that afternoon. I was humbled to see the honor and respect of paying tribute to our predecessors the way many old mountain families still do. It really struck a chord in my heart, and I was delighted seeing Paintbrush properly honored and remembered.
Old 07-09-2017, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Count me right in! I read a short write up about that ceremony not long ago. That and the GON magazine fictional series about the turkey "The Admiral" this spring reminded me of something many of us here will appreciate. Do you remember "Paintbrush" from this forum? Ol Cliff was a master mountain turkey hunter. This past opening day of turkey season, his brother and his nephew killed turkeys on their white county property. They went straight to Cliffs grave, put the gobblers up on the headstone, and took a picture to honor Cliff. His niece sent me the picture that afternoon. I was humbled to see the honor and respect of paying tribute to our predecessors the way many old mountain families still do. It really struck a chord in my heart, and I was delighted seeing Paintbrush properly honored and remembered.
Sounds good, Bone Valley is a plan. That's a nice story about Cliff, I remember him well.
Old 07-10-2017, 12:01 AM

Not long ago, a man who knew Cliff told me: "When you went hunting with Cliff, you didn't go walking and calling. You went in before daylight, and slipped in right beneath a gobbler on the limb. He didn't go looking for gobblers. He always knew where they were".

I sure wish I had that prowess about me!!
Old 07-11-2017, 06:44 AM

I knew Cliff slightly a long time ago. My friends from White county, three brothers who taught me most of what I know about mtn. hunting, considered the Fains their biggest competitors when it came to deep woods hunting on Chattahoochee and Chestatee. They have tons of respect for their hunting skills.

Whitetailfreak I'd love to be included in your trip to Hazel creek. I've always been interested in that area. I would bring plenty of food!
Old 07-11-2017, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripplerider View Post
I knew Cliff slightly a long time ago. My friends from White county, three brothers who taught me most of what I know about mtn. hunting, considered the Fains their biggest competitors when it came to deep woods hunting on Chattahoochee and Chestatee. They have tons of respect for their hunting skills.

Whitetailfreak I'd love to be included in your trip to Hazel creek. I've always been interested in that area. I would bring plenty of food!
You got it. I'll touch base with you all a few months prior. We visit Bone Valley every year on the same day thanks to the NPS. The Park staff do a fantastic job making our decorationsa as easy as possible for the older folks.
Old 07-12-2017, 06:27 PM

Cliff was my best friend. We shared many a hunt and killed lots of game . We hunted or fished every day. and worked together at night.
Old 07-12-2017, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dana Young View Post
Cliff was my best friend. We shared many a hunt and killed lots of game . We hunted or fished every day. and worked together at night.
Dana, I believe with all my heart, that a lifelong huntin' and fishin' buddy is as close to brothers as two men can be without being blood. Mine is helping me pole that bear out of the mountains in the pic a few posts up.
Old 07-13-2017, 01:21 PM

Yes I miss him Like a brother
Old 07-19-2017, 10:01 PM

Keepin it going. I'm still ready Joe!