Go Back   Georgia Outdoor News Forum > Firearms > Firearms, Reloading and Scopes

Old 04-26-2018, 01:10 PM
Default Where are all the used guns?

In days of old (25 years ago) the LGS always had a good selection of used handguns. I'm in the market for a 45 acp and the used gun selection between Statesboro and Savannah is pitiful. Almost nonexistent. Has the used gun market just left the gun stores? Is there a website I'm missing? Just can't believe the market has dried up completely. I went to half a dozen stores and most only had one or two.
Old 04-26-2018, 01:58 PM

People aren't selling their guns back to dealers much anymore because they usually don't get a reasonable offer. The dealer has to make a profit and many don't want to let their gun go for cheap. I've had good luck browsing the "for sale" section of the bigger name forums.
John 8:12 I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life.
Old 04-26-2018, 02:03 PM

I saw a sig extreme on Armslist. Made an inquiry with no response. I'm sure people get scammed so much they are skeptical. I just miss the days when you could walk in a pawn shop and see a case full of used guns. When I was involved, guns were about the only square deal at a pawn shop. Typical offer was 70% of retail to sell or trade. 10% over cost on new guns.
Old 04-26-2018, 02:30 PM

I have gotten some great deals locally but you just have to check often. If there's something you are looking for, let the guys behind the counter know. But there definitely isn't much to choose from like there use to be. I think the majority of those deals are done online now.

I've never dealt with Armslist. I usually stick to Gunbroker or member only forums where you can see others feedback and such.
John 8:12 I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life.

Last edited by JustUs4All; 04-26-2018 at 06:58 PM.
Old 04-26-2018, 02:49 PM

There is an outdoors trader classified site that has numerous categories, and a firearms section, they also have a ratings system so you can have some confidence in who you're dealing with. I've used them for years, only place I'd go to for used guns.
Old 04-26-2018, 03:22 PM

Thanks I'll try that. I

Last edited by JustUs4All; 04-26-2018 at 06:58 PM.
Old 04-26-2018, 03:42 PM

Gunbroker.com

Why sell or trade to a dealer at 50% of value when you can sell it for what it's worth by allowing everybody in the entire country, who's in the market, to shop it.
Old 04-26-2018, 06:43 PM

I have been wanting to pick up a full size .45ACP

It is hit and miss here too. You almost have to be standing there when it comes in. One place here even has consignment items. Last good one I found was a 92FS Inox. I even ordered the G conversion for it.
Old 04-27-2018, 04:04 AM

I know exactly what you mean.

I think attitudes have changed and people want too much for there used guns. It has killed the market.

Most of the used guns i see for sale i can add just a little money to it and get a brand new one.
'Veteran' whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve is someone who, at one point in his/her life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'USA' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.'
Old 04-27-2018, 06:58 AM

Maybe places like Buds Gun shop.com have taken so much meat off the bone there's just no room left in the new gun prices to make the used price appealing. I really value having a lgs to walk in a handle a wide selection of guns. But with free shipping, no sales tax, and rock bottom prices I don't know how they can stay in business. I still buy locally when I can, but nobody can touch buds, grabagun, etc.. Sales tax is about as much as the profit margin on a new gun, how can they compete with vendors who don't charge it?

Last edited by Bobby Linton; 04-27-2018 at 07:38 AM.
Old 04-27-2018, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Linton View Post
Maybe places like Buds Gun shop.com have taken so much meat off the bone there's just no room left in the new gun prices to make the used price appealing. I really value having a lgs to walk in a handle a wide selection of guns. But with free shipping, no sales tax, and rock bottom prices I don't know how they can stay in business. I still buy locally when I can, but nobody can touch buds, grabagun, etc.. Sales tax is about as much as the profit margin on a new gun, how can they complete with vendors who don't charge it?
transfer fees usually cancel out the tax you would have paid in store on most guns. You gotta throw the local gun shop a bone every now and then. If its within 20-30 bucks when all is said and done. I'll go with the local guy every time. About 10-15% is all the profit on a new gun these days....and how is that worth it if it may sit in the showcase for a few months.
Old 04-27-2018, 09:10 AM

I agree. It's a tuff business, but I guess that's all retail. I will plug TC outdoors and Dean Forrest. They do keep their prices very competitive. I still say something fundamental has changed the used market.
Old 04-27-2018, 12:12 PM

Have you checked out Backwoods Armory in Brooklet? They have about the lowest prices I have seen online or in store. Not sure he has much used inventory, but he has all of his guns out on the floor to be handled. No need to ask someone behind the counter.
Old 04-27-2018, 01:50 PM

I have never been there, may stop in today. Thanks. Tried Armslist today. Saw a good deal on a Glock 21. Thought the price was fair, agreed to buy. Then I see the gun. Grip frame had been stippled all over with what looked like a nail and trigger gaurd had been ground. I refused to buy and we both wasted our time. I prefer gun stores.
Old 04-27-2018, 02:58 PM

Hard to beat a Glock 21. I've got a SF model that I picked up used for about $450 several years ago. If you can wrap your hands around it and don't mind the overall size, they are awesome. Very accurate, hold 13+1 rounds, and probably one of, if not the smoothest shooting 45's out there. I love my 1911's but you cannot beat the Glock 21 in overall value.
Old 04-27-2018, 07:01 PM

Well I don't want a 1911 any more. Dang TC Outdoors. For just twice my budget I left with a Kimber 10mm
Attached Images

Old 04-27-2018, 07:22 PM

Very nice. That one should have some thump to it.
Old 04-27-2018, 11:18 PM

That works!
I use VZ Operator II grips on my Ultra Raptor in the same color.
Old 04-28-2018, 06:50 AM

Didn't want to limit myself to a pure target model. Figured a good entry level 1911 would work for bowling pins and the 10mm can hunt! My super Blackhawk better hope I don't shoot this better.
Old 04-28-2018, 08:56 AM

I can never find a deal at a Pawn Shop. Was looking for a discontinued CZ 550FS and found several at Buds. I like there layaway also. I prefer to shop small local businesses as long as I am not overpaying.
Old 04-28-2018, 08:46 PM

I don't have much luck at pawn shops either. The ones around here want new prices for beat up Savage 110s with Simmons scopes.
Old 04-29-2018, 03:52 PM

about the same around here most of the time. I found a youth .243 ADL that was kinda beat up, a good bit of blueing gone, and a J lock. The price was $475 and they came down to $450. I quietly said...you know they sell these new a Wally World for $379 on sale don't you?...all I got was a cold blank stare.

I have made 1-2 good deals in one...but they are far between.
Old 04-29-2018, 05:00 PM

Makes you wonder. I always figure the pawn shop owner was looking at MSRP when they price used guns. Can't be true though because it never seems to be the case when they are buying your gun.
Old 04-30-2018, 02:43 PM

When I need a good laugh I go to outdoors trader. the prices on there are ridiculous. If you gun hasn't sold in 12 months, it may be time to drop your price ya think? The used guns are out there, people just think they are made of gold. Its not my fault you didn't save for retirement.
Old 04-30-2018, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by killerv View Post
When I need a good laugh I go to outdoors trader. the prices on there are ridiculous. If you gun hasn't sold in 12 months, it may be time to drop your price ya think?
There are some like that on there, I know of a dbl brl 12 that's been for sale for a couple years,, lol

But you can find deals on there, I've bought and sold quite a few on there, managed to snag a couple real good deals too, you just have to move fast! Most of the time the good deals and my gun fund don't match up at the same time ,