GON Magazine | GON Classifieds

Go Back   Georgia Outdoor News Forum > Firearms > Gunsmithing Discussion and Tips

Old 08-07-2017, 10:52 PM

You have to cut the valve core apart and then shorten the spring to suit. Probably easier just to buy the one from Ernie the Gunsmith.
Old 08-08-2017, 12:54 PM

+1 on the springs from Ernie... use his Varmit spring for the 700 and then adjust... Be CAREFUL not to get the sear engagement to short... you should be able to bang the side of the receiver with your palm and not have the trigger let go..
Old 08-09-2017, 10:24 AM

X again on Earnie. I also bought his sear spring for my ADL. Changed both sprrings. Completely satisfied for $20
Old 08-09-2017, 12:35 PM

I cleaned the trigger assem.
With the stock off I got it down to 2.4 lbs and it is was consistent. The weight didn't change after several dry fires.
I put it back into the stock and up the weight went again.
I can't see anything binding.
I backed off the screws and it still stayed high.
I just set the stock onto the action without screws and the pull weight stayed high.
The trigger is working correctly but somehow the stock is hitting somewhere but for the life of me I can't tell where.

Using a flashlight I looked inside the recess and nothing.

I can't afford paying a gunsmith the time he'd need to fix this
Old 08-09-2017, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrhinehart View Post
I just set the stock onto the action without screws and the pull weight stayed high.
was the trigger guard still on it?

Quote:
Using a flashlight I looked inside the recess and nothing.
Did you try the pull weight while the trigger guard was off?

hard to fix without looking at it...your welcome to send it...I ain't no gunsmith
Old 08-10-2017, 02:09 PM

Yes..
with the barreled action out the trigger pull climbs then drops off to 2.5 lbs. Then after bolting the action into the stock it jumps to as high as 7.5 lbs.

There must be something bent inside the trigger assem. is all I can figure.
It is after all a 7mm mag. Its a shoulder fired cannon
Old 08-10-2017, 02:11 PM

Who is Earnie and how do I contact him?
Old 08-10-2017, 03:23 PM

I spoke with the Timney tech. He asked all the right questions.
It seems the guy I bought the rifle from bragged about how he was shooting WAY OVERLOADS out of it. (Its a 7MM Mag!)
The tech said there are no pins to bend inside the trigger and that the older stock triggers were weak. He said poor metalurgy.
He said that overloads can cause the holes in the assembly to become oval and cause a lot of assorted problems.
BINGO.

We have ignition.
I need a new trigger assembly.

Thanks all for your support and help.
Ill let you know

Old 08-10-2017, 09:27 PM

News:

I called Timney Triggers and spoke with their tech support.

The tech guy was cool and very knowledgeable.
I detailed the issue for him. He asked a couple questions.
I told him about the former owner overloading his reloads. He said that even though there are no pins that go through the assembly, there are pivot pins on some of the parts like the sear and that its a friction fit between the sides. He suspects that the cheap tin body which have holes in them for those pivots has probably ovaled out.
He told me he's seen this before on older 700's but this was the first time he'd heard of it in the big magnum.

He said that it's his guess that its probably the assembly. He recommended that I contact Remington and see if they can do anything or just save my money and buy a new trigger.

I called Remington. The people were very nice and I was honest with them and told them the issue was probably caused by overloaded handloads. I was instructed to fill out a form and get into the class action suit that is soon to be complete.

The serial number indicates that this rifle was built in 1962.

They told me that they will replace the trigger with the newest X-Mark Pro externally adjustable unit and my model 700 fits this class action. They also said they will pay for the shipping both ways to my door.

I sent in the beginning paperwork today

Developing

Last edited by wrhinehart; 08-11-2017 at 11:45 AM.
Old 08-11-2017, 12:58 PM

X mark pro is not a bad trigger; my 700 SPS .308 came with it [replaced with a Jewel.] You should be happy with it.
Old 08-11-2017, 02:17 PM

Ernie the Gunsmith has a spring for the X Mark Pro Adjustable trigger. I'm putting together a 700 from parts on hand and when I sell it I will install an X Mark Pro Adjustable since there has be so much negative press about the old style.
Old 08-14-2017, 04:51 PM

Erney

The guy I bought this rifle from swears he was hand loading 175 grain mag tips and running them thru a chronograph and was getting nearly 3200 fps.

THATS WAY OVER SAMMI specs.

Im NOT bad mouthing anyone let alone this rifle. In fact about 9 years ago I took it into a gunsmith who used a NO GO gauge in it and told me the chamber was unsafe. Its pre 64 so he set the barrel back.
All is good now.
The model 700 is a brute

Old 08-14-2017, 05:45 PM

Google earniethegunsmith for his web site. Whatever trigger you get bac from Remington is likely to be over your desired pull weight
Old 08-31-2017, 03:41 AM

One of the first things I would have done is a good glass bedding job of that receiver. The bedding compound will fill any low spots that might put the action in a bind. So now when you tighten the action screws it pulls it straight and level into it's bedding recess. I think it will work better after this.
If the action rocks in the stock then when you tighten the screws it pulls down into a bind. Time to bed. You rifle will thank you by shooting better than before.

I also agree about the poor quality of the walker trigger housing. The spring holes have a rough finish that can interfere with the spring movement. And I think the springs themselves loose strength over time.
Old 09-01-2017, 08:20 PM
Default Rem-Trigger-Inconsistencies-Help!

http://benchrest.com/showthread.php?...stencies-Help!

They're talking about this same issue over on Benchrest.com. Might want to take a look. Several responses from quality Benchrest gunsmiths
Old 09-02-2017, 07:58 AM

a PTG Shroud and a Speedlock pin will fix that issue right up/
Old 09-12-2017, 03:48 PM

I found a new X-Mark Pro trigger on Ebay.. I'll try that.

Ill report.
DEVELOPING
Old 09-14-2017, 11:36 AM

I just picked up an Xmark Pro adjustable and was able to dig the crud out of the adjuster screws so that the allen wrench would go down into the holes. I replaced the pull wgt spring and properly adjed the creep, pull wgt and over travel. Seems to work just fine. The actual trigger/sear arrangement is basically unchanged from the old design. It's the safety mechanism that is different.
Old 09-18-2017, 12:50 PM

NEWS:

I got the X-Mark Pro trigger in the mail on Saturday and put the action on the bench.
It is brand new trigger and has the pin dot on the bolt release so I know it's the newest design.

I replaced the old Weaver trigger assembly.
I put it back together and tested it.

4.5 lbs EVERY TIME I test it.

Conclusion?

The trigger assembly was the problem from the beginning.

The trigger is much crisper with zero creep or over travel.

Much better

Thanks all for the assistance.
you guys are great

Bill

P.S. Its still a bit too high in pull weight for me. Ernie the gunsmith does not show any availability of a spring on the web site.
Old 09-18-2017, 12:59 PM

Hey Jester.
What would that do to help other than shave 2 ounces off the weight of the assembled Rifle?

thanks

Bill
Old 09-18-2017, 01:37 PM

If this is the trigger with the second pull wgt adjuster made into the top of the finger lever then Ernie does have a spring for it.
Old 09-18-2017, 06:01 PM

Ok..thanks RayJay
after a call to ernies the web site now shows them as available.
I scratched the gunk out of the #1 trigger spring allen screw and rotated it counter clockwise 1 full turn.
The trigger is now breaking at 3 lbs and feels a darn sight better than my old one.
Now I await my new spring.

Thanks

Total investment
New Trigger with new light release trigger spring?
$25.00
Old 09-19-2017, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Hey Jester.
What would that do to help other than shave 2 ounces off the weight of the assembled Rifle?

thanks

Bill
it was a response to the trigger timing issue in the benchrest article. Instead of file fitting what you have order a properly sized firing pin with a fast lock time than the original assembly. I think you can get them with steel or aluminum shrouds and I am not sure the 2 oz weight would be significant in a hunting rifle but the faster lock time might be.
Old 09-19-2017, 07:26 PM

Excuse my ignorance but what is meant by "faster lock time? How is that significant?
Old 09-19-2017, 08:24 PM

It's the length of time from when the sear is released by the trigger until the firing pin sets off the primer. For super high level 3 position / high power / palma style shooting it might make a difference but for everyone else it's totally irrelevant. The worst centerfire design in the world still has a lock time measured in mili-seconds or micro-seconds or some other abstract measure of time. I'm actually working on parts for a 700 that would reduce the firing spring pressure but increase the firing pin weight to maintain the same impact force as the original design that works great and is difficult to improve upon.