GON Magazine | GON Classifieds

Go Back   Georgia Outdoor News Forum > Non-Native Invasive Species > Feral Hogs: Spot and stalk

Old 07-26-2017, 10:10 PM
Default no special hog hunts on wmas

has any one seen the new dates for wmas and it doesn't show special hog hunts but on a few wmas does anyone know what happened
Old 07-27-2017, 12:23 AM

All WMA's are open for coyote/hog for 2 weeks in May unless otherwise noted. It was supposed increase the access for hog/coyote. The bad thing is the main WMA I hunt was open for 3 hunts each a week long so looks like there is less access. That combined with the fact that hunts across several WMA's were at different times and I could go to different ones throughout down season means I will be hog hunting alot less. Either it was not thought thru completely or they were just trying to simplify things. Either way there will less opportunity for sure.
Old 07-27-2017, 09:18 AM

Yeah I am pretty bummed out about it too. I have had a great time the last few years on the early August hog hunts. I don't mind using my bow or smoke pole, but it really hinders my ability to bring buddies that are relatively new to hunting and only own a deer rifle.
Old 07-27-2017, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTHunter View Post
Yeah I am pretty bummed out about it too. I have had a great time the last few years on the early August hog hunts. I don't mind using my bow or smoke pole, but it really hinders my ability to bring buddies that are relatively new to hunting and only own a deer rifle.
I believe the new hog/yote special dates are modern firearms hunts. Isn't that correct?
Old 07-27-2017, 07:28 PM

Quote:
yea I was looking forward to august early hog hunt to and get some scouting in to during it good thing is more hogs will be on wmas unless they are doing like Missouri does and don't allow hog hunting unless dnr is trapping them their self
Old 07-28-2017, 12:48 PM

Pinelog didnt have any special hunts either

But we still got plenty of small game time. I like when its Dove and small game season and we have shotguns and the .22 mag.
Old 07-28-2017, 01:21 PM

Quote:
KillerKyle is correct. All legal weapons can be used for the new May hog/coyote hunt, so your buddies can still use a deer rifle if they choose to. I can't wait to break out the old 300 Win Mag while overlooking one of those big clover plots.
Old 07-28-2017, 05:26 PM

Feral Hog + Coyote
A season for feral hogs and coyotes, during which all legal
weapons may be used, will be open on WMAs May 16-31 unless
otherwise specified. Hunter orange is required. Restrictions for
incidental take of hogs and coyotes during other open seasons
and hunts on WMAs remain unchanged.
Old 07-31-2017, 03:53 PM

If your WMA has a furbearer season you can hunt with a centerfire rifle for the entire furbearer season and kill all the hogs you want to .
Old 07-31-2017, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbogg View Post
KillerKyle is correct. All legal weapons can be used for the new May hog/coyote hunt, so your buddies can still use a deer rifle if they choose to. I can't wait to break out the old 300 Win Mag while overlooking one of those big clover plots.
Kyle and jbogg,

I understand that, and I absolutely take full advantage of the centerfire for furbearer rule as it is, but I just want to hunt pigs in August with centerfires! I feel like the hogs are at their dumbest in August, coming off over two months of no hunting pressure. I had plans to take some buddies to get their first pigs and now we have to scramble to find them weapons. It was just a bad surprise and I'm a little salty. But even if they changed the rules to only using rocks and sticks I'd be out there chasing pigs. Spot and Stalk pig hunting on public land is my favorite type of hunting.
Old 08-01-2017, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Kyle and jbogg,

I understand that, and I absolutely take full advantage of the centerfire for furbearer rule as it is, but I just want to hunt pigs in August with centerfires! I feel like the hogs are at their dumbest in August, coming off over two months of no hunting pressure. I had plans to take some buddies to get their first pigs and now we have to scramble to find them weapons. It was just a bad surprise and I'm a little salty. But even if they changed the rules to only using rocks and sticks I'd be out there chasing pigs. Spot and Stalk pig hunting on public land is my favorite type of hunting.
Surely ya'll got a few .22lrs layin around you can get
I'd have no problem shooting them with that........yes, I did get a .22mag which is another ballgame, but still. Got a shotgun? get some #2 turkey loads and go get some pork

As far as the shotgun goes, if you get into the pigs, chances are one will run TO or beside you........or you'll just have to get closer-I know that can be tough

BTW-I'd LOVE TO HAVE the dates you mentioned and agree its the best time to be there.........No doubt. Next year, bring this up at the DNR meetings It is how we got the Yote/hog dates to begin with. For some reason they changed it to After turkey season instead of before
Old 08-08-2017, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbogg View Post
jbogg...Does this hunt include Chat national forest lands or just WMA's?..understanding if a WMA is in Natl forest it's legal there. Based on what I read it doesn't sound like it includes non-WMA natl forest lands...it sure should...hopefully I'm wrong.
Old 08-11-2017, 01:31 PM

The new May 16-31 coyote/hog hunts are for center fire rifle as well, and hunter orange is required just like firearms deer season. All WMAs have that hunt unless noted in the regulations. I got a feeling the hogs are going to be rooting up the fresh seed on the WMA Dove fields come late May. May be a good place to set up. Good luck to all!