GON Magazine | GON Classifieds

Go Back   Georgia Outdoor News Forum > Leases and Land Management and Gardening > Food Plots/Supplemental Feeding and Gardening

Old 08-12-2017, 06:38 PM
Default Apples for deer....what to plant?

After seeing deer come to apple trees on various properties for years, I'm finally in a position to plant some on my own place. Only recently have I acquired enough property to make this happen so now it's time to get serious about it. Although I beleive deer will come to any apple trees, there must be preferred variaties.

What variety of apple trees would you recommend to someone who is interested in planting an apple orchard for the deer? I presume a variety would be best but figure there must be some varieties that are best for this purpose due to a number of reasons. What should I plant?
Old 08-12-2017, 07:04 PM

Choose varieties with the most disease resistance (esp to CAR, Fireblight & apple scab), that fruit when you will be hunting, & ideally are at least partially self-fertile to minimize the need to match blooming times. Otherwise you must plant different varieties to get apples: most cannot self pollinate. Crab apples are good pollinators, mix some into your orchard.

Pears are much easier to grow in Georgia, & have less disease issues & fewer soil fertility demands. Again, you need several varieties.

Native persimmon is a great alternative also, but can take a lot longer to begin fruiting.

Buy from an established nursery that specializes in fruit trees & avoid the ones from big box stores, even though they are handy & low priced.
Old 08-12-2017, 11:43 PM

Never had much luck with any apples but crab apples. I have planted a lot of different types.
Old 08-13-2017, 09:46 AM
Administrator

Go with the later-ripening varieties. Depending on where you are, you may have the apples all gone by mid-September. Here in the mountains, I have one Limber Twig that holds apples until early November.
Old 08-13-2017, 10:47 AM

Also know there are dwarf, semi dwarf and standard sized varieties. The first 2 are more geared toward yards. Standard trees will take longer to bear fruit but once they do your yield per tree will be greater.
Old 08-13-2017, 11:01 AM

I must plant too. Got to keep up with fork horn.
Old 08-13-2017, 11:08 AM

Mix it up!

Persimmons are good, and the guys I hunt with are really planting pairs heavily.

Look for low(er) maintenance items, drought tolerant, and fruiting times that are closest to when you hunt.