GON Magazine | GON Classifieds

Go Back   Georgia Outdoor News Forum > Firearms > Gunsmithing Discussion and Tips

Old 11-25-2013, 08:43 PM

Hayseed, it really turned out great. The next picture I want to see is the first deer you take with it.
Old 11-25-2013, 09:19 PM

Glad to hear you like everything about your "new" gun.

The first one you kill with it is gonna be a great feeling of satifaction-good luck.

I'm with ya on the Wild West trigger in the Marlin. I also put one in my 336 and really like- I also like that it eliminates the trigger "flop".
Old 11-27-2013, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayseed_theology View Post
I finally had a chance to get the Lever Gun to the range. I had about an hour at the range to sight in this fella and check the zero on the 7 Mag. I went down to Chickasawhatchee WMA, which is just about 15 min from me. I like the range over there and with it being a Friday morning, I had the place to myself. They have good solid tables, and I brought my shooting rest.

I wanted to start at 25 yds, but the shortest distance was 50 yds. At that point, I was glad I had bore sighted it. I used an old splatter target so I could see my hits. I popped off the first 3 rounds. It hit about 6" low and about 4" left. Always good to be on paper with the first ones. I figured at 50 yds I wanted to be 1"-1.5" high. After a few adjustments, I was pretty well in the neighborhood of where I wanted to be. The barrel never really got really warm, but before I made the final adjustments I wanted it cool. I also sprayed a little Hoppe's on a bore snake and ran it through a couple times. My last 3 shots are the ones in the pic. That group was a little over 1" (remember this is at 50 yds, not 100). That was the best group of the day. In total, I think I sent 15 rounds down range. I like to do 3 shot group, adjust, 3 shot group, adjust. I feel like with a non-tack driver like this it gives me a better idea of where the gun is shooting. Main issue then is not warming the barrel up. 1 Shot, adjust, 1 shot, adjust, 1 shot, adjust is like chasing a balloon somebody blew up and let go.

I used Federal Premium 125 gr HP factory ammo. I had never used this ammo before so I don't know how it grouped out of the gun before. When I get another chance to go to the range, I want to compare groups with the 125 gr Federal, 170 gr Winchester's, and 150 gr Remington's at 100 yds. Previously, this gun liked those other two loads pretty well. Without more range time, I can't make a judgment on the affect shortening the barrel had on accuracy. I will say though, I don't think anyone would complain about that last group. I don't have a chronograph so I can't test the velocity difference. There were two things that surprised me about the shorter barrel - muzzle blast and muzzle rise. I knew both would increase with shortening the barrel, but both increased more than I expected. I was wearing hearing protection, but I could tell the muffled boom had been replaced by a sharper crack. I was surprised how the muzzle jumped after the shot. With the new recoil pad, felt recoil was minimal, but it had a sharper jump to it.

I like the scope a lot. It points very naturally. I had read complaints about scout scopes not gathering light as well, but at dawn and dusk, I can see better through the scope than with the naked eye. It may not gather light as well as a conventional mounted optic with a larger objective, but it is more than sufficient. I was also concerned that the 2.5x magnification would leave me wanting more, but so far I am very happy with it. I have always shot a rifle with one eye closed. The scout scope works much better with both eyes open, which I know is a good habit to be in anyway. It is very comfortable to look through with both eyes open.

The Wild West Happy Trigger Kit is by far the BEST modification that I made to the gun. The trigger pull is lighter and breaks clean. It was well worth the money. I never though I'd say this, but… the trigger pull on my Marlin lever action is noticeably better than the trigger pull on my Remington 700!!! I'm gonna have to fix that, but that'll be a different thread.

It was a good hour at the range. I checked the 7 Mag, and she's still on.

I was so excited about the lever action that I took it deer hunting the next morning. It was a rainy morning and I wanted to do some scouting in the woods, so it was the perfect day to take it. Man, this gun handles so quick! I love it. It was great in the woods. I didn't hang it on every branch and vine in the county like I normally do. Now picking up the 7 Mag feels like I am shouldering an 8' 2x4. I can't wait to see some venison in the crosshairs.
And now you know one thing: People with short barreled carbines are all smiles when stalking in the thick stuff.

As for accuracy, you'll be ringing the 12" steels at 200 meters with no problems before long. Like I've always said, the lil ones are great to handle and still reach out to 200 on the bean fields with no issues.

170g Federal blue box will likely be your most accurate ammo and the hardest hitting. Expect a rather large difference in POI given the difference in bullet weight and overall bearing surface in the bore.

Most of the time, differences in accuracy between long and short barrels are the shooter...differences in power are typically not detectable as the shorter barrel dosn't typically loose enough velocity to change momentum/KE, etc a noticeable amount. As long as the bullet penetrates deep and into the vitals, deer go down.....ala TC pistols in traditional rifle calibers perform far beyond what innernet naysayers and arm chair ballisticians will negatively imply.

2.5x is bout perfect for a stalker and occasional bean field shooter.
Old 12-05-2013, 06:24 PM

Thank you for sharing! I have a 336 in a .35 that I bought used a couple of years ago. I want to dissasemble it and give it a good cleaning and possibly change the trigger. I watched the youtube video you posted on how to dissasemble and I found it to look very informative however, I could not find a video on how you reassemble. I would hate to take it apart and then have to take it to a gunsmith to assemble. Too bad you are on the other side of the state from me. I would like someone to guide me.
Old 12-07-2013, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark-7mag View Post
Thank you for sharing! I have a 336 in a .35 that I bought used a couple of years ago. I want to dissasemble it and give it a good cleaning and possibly change the trigger. I watched the youtube video you posted on how to dissasemble and I found it to look very informative however, I could not find a video on how you reassemble. I would hate to take it apart and then have to take it to a gunsmith to assemble. Too bad you are on the other side of the state from me. I would like someone to guide me.
If you go to youtube and search for "marlin 336 re-assembly", you will find a 5 part tutorial from a guy called "willwood487." I haven't watched the videos, but I expect that is about what you are looking for. If you do take it apart, make sure you have a gunsmith screwdriver set(doesn't have to be a fancy one). Don't do it with a regular screwdriver, or you will mess up the screw heads. Also, here is a schematic of the 336: http://www.urban-armory.com/diagrams/marlin33.htm . If you need to, use the schematic part numbers/names and make notes as you disassemble. If we were closer, I'd be glad to help you.
Old 12-08-2013, 08:55 AM

Hayseed, your 336 project has gotten me interested in a similar project. My hunting partner has an older 336 in .35 Rem that I have committed to buy. I like short rifles and I especially love lever rifles. In my imagination, I would shorten the barrel to 16.5, maybe shorten the magazine tube to 4 rounds, strip and oil rub the wood, and finally add a Leupold 1.5x5.

Easier said than done!
Old 12-08-2013, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayseed_theology View Post
If you go to youtube and search for "marlin 336 re-assembly", you will find a 5 part tutorial from a guy called "willwood487." I haven't watched the videos, but I expect that is about what you are looking for. If you do take it apart, make sure you have a gunsmith screwdriver set(doesn't have to be a fancy one). Don't do it with a regular screwdriver, or you will mess up the screw heads. Also, here is a schematic of the 336: http://www.urban-armory.com/diagrams/marlin33.htm . If you need to, use the schematic part numbers/names and make notes as you disassemble. If we were closer, I'd be glad to help you.
Thank you!
Old 12-08-2013, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boar Hunter View Post
Hayseed, your 336 project has gotten me interested in a similar project. My hunting partner has an older 336 in .35 Rem that I have committed to buy. I like short rifles and I especially love lever rifles. In my imagination, I would shorten the barrel to 16.5, maybe shorten the magazine tube to 4 rounds, strip and oil rub the wood, and finally add a Leupold 1.5x5.

Easier said than done!
That sounds sweet! I took mine hunting last night. I love the short length. When you get started, you need to start a thread and take pics so we can follow your progress.
Old 09-06-2014, 03:41 PM
Default Update 9/6/14

After I finished up this project, I toted it in the woods during deer season but never took a shot on a deer. I wanted to redo the crown with the proper tools. I recently got the tools to work on "Another Lever Gun Project."

So, I decided to fix the crown up on this puppy last night. The tool is pretty simple. Go slow. Keep cleaning up the chips. Keep oiling it up.

Crown came out well.

I finally tried some hand loads in it today. I did the ladder test. I was shooting at 50 yds because of the 2.5x scout scope. I feel like 100 yds introduces too much aiming error on my part with that scope. I am very happy with the results. The load is 150 gr Speer Hot Cor bullets being pushed by WW748. The best group was .476". I can do some more tinkering with it, but I am pretty happy with an MOA group at 50 yds out of a lever action.
Attached Images

Last edited by hayseed_theology; 09-06-2014 at 08:10 PM.
Old 03-14-2017, 10:45 PM

So, I've decided to revisit this project. Since I finished it, I have been pretty happy with it. Still haven't taken a deer with this particular rifle, but it I have enjoyed carrying it in the woods and shooting it at the range. That said, there are two things I would like to change: the scope rail and the furniture.

I really like the scout setup. It's a ton of fun to shoot and points very easily. But the scout scope is not perfect for every occasion, and so, at times, I do wish I had the opportunity to switch to an optic mounted in the traditional location. So I am going to swap the Weaver Scout Rail out for an XS Lever Rail to give me more options as far as mounting an optic.

I have grown less happy with the color that the wood came out, and I have grown even less pleased with the spacer and recoil pad. Cutting the stock too short still eats at me. So, I placed an order with Boyd's Gunstock Industries last week. I watched eBay for weeks looking a deal on some walnut stocks but I finally got tired of waiting. I decided to spend a little more and get something a little less traditional.

Stay tuned. Hopefully I will have a few minutes to work on it after the new stocks come in.
Old 03-15-2017, 07:21 PM

Looking forward to seeing it
Old 03-21-2017, 09:33 PM

Quick update:

I placed my order with Boyd's on March 8. The stocks arrived today, so that's right at two weeks with economy shipping. That is considerably quicker than many of the reviews I had read online.

I ordered 4 pieces: a buttstock and forend set for this Marlin and a set for an H&R Handi Rifle (upcoming project). Unfortunately, the buttstock for the Marlin was not correct, so it's gotta go back. I will say that I had no trouble getting a hold of a customer service rep at Boyd's over the phone. She directed me to email them with the order number and pics of the mistake. Within a couple hours, I received a response from another customer service rep asking if I wanted a partial refund or for the mistake to be corrected. I chose to get what I originally ordered and paid for, so they sent instructions for sending it back and are supposed to email me a return shipping label. I was worried about trying to return it because I had read some horror stories online about their customer service, but I have been quite pleased with their response so far.
Old 03-24-2017, 08:20 PM

Great thread!
Old 04-14-2017, 12:17 AM

The buttstock arrived today. Boyd's corrected the mistake in a timely manner. Overall, it looks pretty good. The bolt hole in the tang looks to be drilled a touch off center. I think I can work with it, but worst case scenario, I drill it out some and add a pillar.

Here's a little sneak peak of the stock. Like I said, a little less traditional, but I think it's gonna be pretty cool.
Attached Images

Old 07-16-2017, 11:38 PM
Default 7/16/17 Update #1

Three months after receiving the stocks, I finally had a few hours to put them on the gun. Before the stocks, I swapped out the the Weaver Scout Rail for the longer XS Sights Lever Rail. Some folks have issues with alignment, but my installation was about as simple as they come. I like the fact that it offers multiple optic mounting locations.

The Boyd's forend went on pretty easily. It is very snug and doesn't rattle like my factory one did. The buttstock took some fitting. I'd say about an hour and a half of slowly filing and chiseling by hand then test fitting. A Dremel is a much faster way... to ruin a new stock. Patience is your friend.

The Boyd's stocks are designed to fit various years and models of Marlin lever actions, so a little bit of finish inletting and less than perfect alignment is to be expected. The fit is snug, but the wood is a bit proud on the receiver and the tang. This gun isn't a show piece, so I'm not terribly worried about it. But, I wouldn't buy a factory gun with those tolerances. I could shave the wood down, but then I have to refinish everything. So, I will leave it for now.

I ordered the stock with Boyd's laser cut checkering. The particular style of checkering I chose was a scale pattern. Combined with the pepper laminate stock color, it is not your traditional lever gun furniture, but I am pleased with it.

Pics of the new stocks and lever rail.
Attached Images

Old 07-16-2017, 11:39 PM
Default 7/16/17 Update #2

Pics with the scout setup.
Attached Images

Old 07-16-2017, 11:44 PM
Default 7/16/17 Update #3

One pic with a 3-9x40 mounted in the traditional location.

And just for fun, the last pic is digital night vision with an IR illuminator.
Attached Images

Old 07-17-2017, 07:59 AM

Sweet looking set up!!!
Old 07-17-2017, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mauser View Post
Sweet looking set up!!!
Thanks! Now I just gotta find some time to shoot it.
Old 07-17-2017, 10:00 PM

looks good