Go Back   Georgia Outdoor News Forum > Birds, Birds and More Birds > Turkey Talk

Old 04-19-2016, 08:12 PM
Default Strangest gobble I've ever heard

You would have to hear it to believe it. First it is a full grown bird, not a jake. I heard him last year and half heartedly called him in. He gobbled 3 times. Once far off on his own, once when I answered him, and once when he was coming in. I never really raised the gun. Just left it in my lap. When he cleared a thicket at 15 yards he saw me and I saw he had a long thick huge beard. Too late, he was gone.

So today, I am walking out and hit a trumpet just fooling around. I hear a bird. I know where he is and close the distance. He closed it as well and I couldn't get where I needed to be. I thought I was hearing things as I was moving to him but when I sat down I heard him again. There was no denying that this is the weirdest gobble I have or ever will hear.

It doesn't have the thunderous shake that Easterns are known for. It's not Merriam either. It is like someone gobbling on a flute. It his a high pitched wobbbbllle. Like a noise from a video game. I could see pieces of the bird through the woods but never the entire bird. He stopped at what I am guessing is 60 and strutted back and forth. He double wobbled at an airplane passing over.

Eventually he eased off. I got him to answer 4 or 5 more times. Eventually I bumped him. Later it dawned on me that this is the same bird from last year. I wasn't hearing things. I probably won't get to try him again til Thursday. But now I know what to listen for. If I didn't I would write it off as some other type of bird mocking a tom.

I hope I can hear him and record it so it makes more sense.
Old 04-19-2016, 08:18 PM

Sounds like a great bird to target the rest of the year if he has a distinct feature like that makes him stand out. The fact that he has beat you two hunts in a row makes it more personal and fun in my opinion. Love to hunt and kill those birds. You don't get that opportunity very often in the turkey woods and the fact that he's recognize able by his gobble makes it that much more fun. I would leave a tree full of gobbling turkey at 50 yds to go chase him 500 yds away all day, everyday.
Old 04-19-2016, 09:22 PM

I bet you he has some shot in his goozle that changed his tone, and maybe how he acts. Good luck with him
Old 04-19-2016, 09:30 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killdee View Post
I bet you he has some shot in his goozle that changed his tone, and maybe how he acts. Good luck with him
Kinda what i was thinking too. Some sort of throat/larynyx damage.
Old 04-19-2016, 09:35 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhbama3 View Post
Kinda what i was thinking too. Some sort of throat/larynyx damage.
Also wanted to add that a gobbling hen can make you as well. You've already ruled that out in this case.
Old 04-19-2016, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhbama3 View Post
Also wanted to add that a gobbling hen can make you as well. You've already ruled that out in this case.
I thought jake last year. I had just called up 2. I told myself later that day last year that it was probably the swamp bottom he was in making him sound that way. I was wrong.

I am looking forward to Thursday.
Old 04-19-2016, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killdee View Post
My thoughts as well. I shook a gobble tube at him. Thought to myself, this is kinda what you sound like.
Old 04-19-2016, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booner Killa View Post
Sounds like a great bird to target the rest of the year if he has a distinct feature like that makes him stand out. The fact that he has beat you two hunts in a row makes it more personal and fun in my opinion. Love to hunt and kill those birds. You don't get that opportunity very often in the turkey woods and the fact that he's recognize able by his gobble makes it that much more fun. I would leave a tree full of gobbling turkey at 50 yds to go chase him 500 yds away all day, everyday.
I've had a rough GA season. I put one away today I had 4 afternoons and 3 mornings in. Felt good.

Then moved onto another and came within 3 foot of closing that deal. Then found this one on the way out.

Now Thursday I know when daylight breaks, the bird I was close to shooting is going to sound off. I feel 70% confident I could kill him. BUT this other bird has me curious. Seems like he is willing to commit if I had a good set up. I'd love to see what the heck is going on with him. So he has my attention if he will talk Thursday.
Old 04-22-2016, 04:16 PM

Update on the strange Gobbling bird? Any luck?
Old 04-23-2016, 10:38 AM

Old 04-23-2016, 05:42 PM

Sounds like bird flu to me.
Old 04-23-2016, 06:10 PM

Since we are talking about gobbling, I used to think I could tell a older bird from a younger one until this season. I Killed a nice three year old that I wasn't real sure wasn't a Jake on the roost. Heard him scouting and then the morning I shot him. There voices are different, just like ours. But in my opinion you can't age them by it like some claim.
Old 04-23-2016, 11:25 PM

Thursday morning I sat below a plot thinking I knew where he was. A hen came by early looking for me. She went to the plot that was roughly 100 away. At 8, I decided to go check on her. Eased up and there was a tom feeding by her. Considering I shot the only bird I have been hearing, I thought this was the wobbler.

I raised the gun. Noticed his head had a lot of red in it, like a jake but his beard was long. Kinda stringy but not 100% sure. I put the sight on him and then thought, how do I know this is him. So I did something stupid. Instead of shooting, I cutt real hard. He wobbled not gobbled and immediately started to exit. It was like he didn't mean too and knew it was me. I straight out missed him. Not even a feather. Made me sick. I threw up. Literally.
Old 04-23-2016, 11:27 PM

He was less than 30. I just raised my head like a rookie.

I'm ok with it. Wasn't then. But I have a had an ok season.
Old 04-24-2016, 08:11 PM

I encountered a gobbler like that hunting with my brother in Tennessee last year. He gobbled at 30 yards and I couldn't believe what I was hearing. It sounded like he was 150 yards away. It wasn't as high pitched as a merriam's gobble or halfhearted like a jake gobble. I almost laughed when I heard it again. He shot the bird and there was nothing wrong with him as far as we could tell. It was a 3-4 year old with good body weight.
Joshua 24:15
Old 04-11-2018, 10:49 AM

The Wobbler died this morning. You can hear some of his last wobbles on FB. Not the kind to post all my birds but this one is an exception.
Old 04-11-2018, 11:36 AM

So are you going to link us to your Facebook?
Old 04-11-2018, 12:56 PM

We hunted one similar a few years back. His gobble on the first note sounded right and then it sounded like a rattle or clicking noise. I finally killed him one evening in the 3rd year that we had heard the "rattler". He had a definitely different and distinctive gobble.
Old 04-11-2018, 02:07 PM

I had one trying to do a quiet gobble the other morning. Youth weekend, he was on fire gobbling as loud as he could, but the other day he was gobbling at 50 yards and you could barely hear him. I think there was a hen just out of my sight and he was trying to be as discreet as possible but still gobble. He sounded a mile away but he was right there. Another longbeard flew in to him and I ended up taking that bird.
Old 04-11-2018, 04:05 PM

My son killed one in 2011 with the strange gobble. I bet he didn't weigh 14 lbs. He had 11 1/2 beard and 1 1/8 spurs. His wing feather bars were more black than normal and even had black on the quills.
Old 04-12-2018, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sman View Post
The Wobbler died this morning. You can hear some of his last wobbles on FB. Not the kind to post all my birds but this one is an exception.
Get us a link
Old 04-12-2018, 09:26 AM

Congrats on the Wobbler!

I stayed on a bird for a month couple of years ago that just sounded
bad a..
Got him next to the last day of the season in May.
2yr with triple beard.
I,m on one similar this year. Same spot.
Son of the same bird I'm hoping.
Old 04-12-2018, 09:31 AM

Doesn't sound like a Tom to me. I think what your hunting is one of those Jenners....
J/k congrats!
Old 04-17-2018, 11:46 AM

What were the stats on him Sman? Had to an older bird since this thread started in '16