; Cows and Deer - Georgia Outdoor News Forum

GON Magazine | GON Classifieds

Go Back   Georgia Outdoor News Forum > Deer and Small Game Hunting and Trail Cams > Deer Hunting

Old 10-31-2011, 11:23 AM
Default Cows and Deer

Will deer intermingle with cows? Some of the land I hunt has cows on it. If there are cows mingling around in front of my stand will a deer come in there too or will the deer avoid cattle? What if the cows have been tromping, crapping, peeing and generally destroying an area - will deer avoid the area even if there are no cows at the time? Normally deer traffic this area but the cows seemed to have made it their temporary feeding,stopping,socialization area.
Old 10-31-2011, 11:35 AM

I have seen deer grazing the same pasture with cattle. A few years ago I killed a nice buck that was bedded in a pasture with my cows. When it got light enough to see clearly, there he was. I had to wait for him to move away from the herd before I could shoot.
Old 10-31-2011, 11:53 AM

They don't bother each other. Killed several deer with cows inside 50 feet of cows. It also offers plenty of cover scent. Just step in a cow pie!
Old 10-31-2011, 11:54 AM
Administrator

I hunt a cattle farm and see deer in the pastures/crossing pastures very often.
Old 10-31-2011, 11:57 AM

My wife and I had place to hunt a few years back.The guy who owned it had it finced in for his cows.Small fields pond and woods cows romed it all.The deer travled some of the cow trails to and from water and the fields.Cant get any better cover sent than a few day old cow pie.And I ant kidding you.
Old 10-31-2011, 11:57 AM

Yep, have seen plenty of deer around and with cows. Cows are bigger and have more meat.

John I.
Messermacher
Old 10-31-2011, 11:58 AM

i have seen them lick the molasses wheel with the cows
Old 10-31-2011, 05:38 PM
Administrator

Deer and cows get along great-seen 'em grazing together many times.
Old 10-31-2011, 07:54 PM

I hunt with my cows in my pasture i got one cow she follows me too my stand and wait for me to get down
Old 10-31-2011, 08:00 PM

Had a guide once that got his start guiding on the family farm, he could take his heifer with a rope on it and walk behind her to get within bow range
Old 10-31-2011, 08:01 PM

Just don't try no decoy deer or turkey, something about them that the cattle love, they sort of huddle around it then the calves take turns trying to get close to it, pretty comical
Old 10-31-2011, 08:44 PM

Guess I'll be the oddball I guess but the deer on my place tend to leave(not run,just wander off) whenever cows come in. Never see 'em feeding out in the pasture together either, so . I think the deer just don't care to be around all the noise,scent,and commotion of 30-40 cows. I'd hunt it though & not worry about the cows.
Old 10-31-2011, 08:48 PM

Well, several years ago I was walking back to the truck through a cow pasture, Sun had set behind me and a big buck stepped out with the glare in his face. Couldn't hold steady enough off-hand, and grass was high, couldn't shoot sitting or prone. There was a tree 25 yards ahead. Got down on my hands and knees -- went Mooooo Mooooo Mooo crawled over to the tree, braced on the trunk and took the shot. Ten points, 175 lbs.
Old 10-31-2011, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepr71 View Post
Guess I'll be the oddball I guess but the deer on my place tend to leave(not run,just wander off) whenever cows come in. Never see 'em feeding out in the pasture together either, so . I think the deer just don't care to be around all the noise,scent,and commotion of 30-40 cows. I'd hunt it though & not worry about the cows.
I'm with you. I've been hunting a working cattle farm since about 1988 or 89. I've read articles that said cows don't bother deer. I've seen pictures of cattle and deer feeding in the same pasture, but I've never EVER seen it in person.

When our cattle are turned in to a particular pasture the deer activity in the woods enclosed by the same fence as that particular pasture will drop dramatically EVERY TIME. I've even had deer RUN when a cow came walking down to the creek for a drink. I don't know what it is, but on our farm the deer absolutely positively keep a very good distance from the cattle. I've wondered if they simply cannot hear well enough to detect danger when those big stupid smelly noisy cattle are around so they avoid them. I don't know but I don't have a better explanation. Our cattle are certainly not aggressive like some of our neighbor's cattle. It doesn't make much sense but for over 20 years the deer on our farm avoid the cattle on our farm like the plague. I would bet I've never seen a deer feeding in a field within 200 yards of a cow on our farm.
Old 10-31-2011, 08:58 PM
Retired Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by j_seph View Post
Had a guide once that got his start guiding on the family farm, he could take his heifer with a rope on it and walk behind her to get within bow range
"elk dont know how many feet a horse has"
Old 10-31-2011, 09:12 PM

Yep HuntinDawg..same experiences here! BTW, I base my experiences on 20+ years on this same property. The deer don't leave for good,but definitely will leave or stop bedding in an area when the cows get near Sleepr71
Old 10-31-2011, 09:42 PM

For several years I hunted a hardwood ridge that was enclosed inside a cow pasture. On the way to the stand I would deliberately walk in fresh cow droppings.Great cover scent. I walked in on the cow trails to keep the noise down. From time to time I would softly moo like a cow. I mostly bowhunted that ridge and I killed a bunch of deer on it. I have had deer and cows around me at the same time.
Old 11-01-2011, 07:41 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by slip View Post
"elk dont know how many feet a horse has"

Quote:
Originally Posted by haskell View Post
Well, several years ago I was walking back to the truck through a cow pasture, Sun had set behind me and a big buck stepped out with the glare in his face. Couldn't hold steady enough off-hand, and grass was high, couldn't shoot sitting or prone. There was a tree 25 yards ahead. Got down on my hands and knees -- went Mooooo Mooooo Mooo crawled over to the tree, braced on the trunk and took the shot. Ten points, 175 lbs.
I'd love to see a video of that!