GON Magazine | GON Classifieds

Go Back   Georgia Outdoor News Forum > Deer and Small Game Hunting and Trail Cams > Handgun Hunting

Old 09-13-2017, 08:51 PM
Default Glock 40 upgrades

I have decided to hunt this year, pistol only. I have been bow only for 7 years with the exception of one pistol kill last season. I broke my back 5 weeks ago on a dirtbike and can not pull a bow. I have to wear a body brace until December. I have no desire to hunt with a rifle. So, I know very little about handgun upgrades. I plan to buy a glock 40, 10mm. I have access to a handloader, my son's, just upstairs. i would like to set it up for hunting. I know I need a quality trigger and likely optic type sights. Recommendations for upgrades? Any thoughts appreciated

Last edited by 1gr8bldr; 09-13-2017 at 09:15 PM.
Old 09-13-2017, 09:29 PM

Not much needed on that gun but a good red dot reflex site, maybe a 3&1/2 pound trigger you can find install info on youtube,and get the parts online, I would look hard at the Underwood ammo, it is plenty hot unless you are just dying to reload, you would need a good taper crimp dye for that caliber, I have a G20 with a Burris fast fire II reflex red dot, it should do all you need. good luck, I hope you get to shoot one with it.
Old 09-14-2017, 06:26 AM

You will love 10 mm I have two g 20's and a STI perfect ten as well been carrying a 10 mm for a Duty gun since glock came out with the G 20, sorry to here about your dirt bike crash, I have been racing them most of my life now I just trail ride figured I quit since I'm to old to get seriously hurt I ride a KTM 500 EXCF
Old 09-14-2017, 08:10 AM

Love mine, although the trigger could definitely use some work but I haven't gotten around to it. I put a Vortex Venom on it
Old 09-14-2017, 10:30 PM

Just remember the 10mm will limit you to about 50 yards +/-. It is roughly a real hot .357 mag. and it looses legs after that IMHO.
If you want more range a 44 mag in a revolver with some kind of optics would serve you well.
Old 09-15-2017, 07:19 AM

I think my abilities limit me to 50 yards anyway lol, I've tried shooting mine at 100 yards a couple times and have one heck of a time holding it still enough...I can keep it within a 6" circle at 50..push it out to 100 and I'm all over the place.
Old 09-15-2017, 07:37 AM

I will test shoot it to see what my potential range is, but I'm thinking all I care about is up to 30 yards. I'll be videoing so farther than this makes terrible footage.
Old 09-15-2017, 10:09 PM

I would also read up on jacketed vs HCL vs Hollowpoint.
I had a friend shoot one last year at about 40 yards with a 180 grain gold dot jacketed hollowpoint. Good blood to start but we trailed in thick stuff for a couple hundred yards and lost the trail. He is usually a good shot and has harvested other deer with a handgun so I believe him when he said it was a good hit. And we waited a couple hours before tracking.
I've since read that many hollow points at for the 10 mm tend to open to quick and inhibit penetration. Maybe they are actually designed for 40 S&W velocities?
Old 09-15-2017, 10:56 PM

I am a big believer that the trigger is very important for a handgun that is aimed. I would like shared info on trigger options
Old 09-18-2017, 09:52 AM

The problem with a lot of jacketed hollowpoint load is they are designed for self defense, so therefore designed to not over penetrate...which makes sense if you're stopping a bad guy and don't want to hit something or someone that's behind that bad guy. For hunting purposes you need a bullet designed for maximum damage that will hold up to hitting bone or muscle and still penetrate through the vitals.