; Going to give it a try! - Georgia Outdoor News Forum

GON Magazine | GON Classifieds

Go Back   Georgia Outdoor News Forum > Woody's Campfire Talk > Hobbies, Crafts and HomeBrew Discussions

Old 12-18-2016, 07:03 PM
Default Going to give it a try!

I picked this up a week ago, and I'm going to try an make a knife. Wish me luck. I pick them up at a machine shop I use all the time.
Attached Images

Old 12-18-2016, 07:21 PM

Good luck sharp. Knife makers have my total respect, especially the ones on here. Artist!!!
Old 12-18-2016, 07:23 PM

Yes they are the BEST in my book! I hope they don't beat me up to bad.
Old 12-19-2016, 04:48 AM

Good luck...you will never know unless you try...
Old 12-19-2016, 05:49 AM
GON Severe Weatherman

Take lots of pics and keep us in the loop. This should be an educational project.
Old 12-19-2016, 10:23 AM

Are you just going to grind the blade and bevels out and leave the steel tempered as is? Or do you plan to reheat-treat the steel?

If you plan to just grind the blade out and leave as is, do everything bear handed....to hot to hold dip in water to cool; take your time and use sharp fresh belts on you grinder. Don't waste a file trying to shape the Starrets - they are as hard as your file and will dull it quickly. Side grinder will get you there the quickest but you need to be skilled with "feather" grinding techniques or you will get the thinner sections too hot too fast.

Note: Never could get a spec sheet from Starret on the alloyed steel they use for those blades, but they are not simple hi-carbon and reheat-treatment would be trial and error at best.

ps - remember the blade you have broke clean like a piece of glass, so it is high hard. It will be difficult to sharpen but will hold an edge. It will also be more brittle than a regular blade so no prying with it. Also you will need to use a carbide bit to drill any additional holes in the tang, regular bits will just burn up.

Good luck with your project and let us know how it turns out.
Old 12-19-2016, 06:35 PM

Thanks for the information Anvil. I did cut 2 blades out with a cut off wheel. I started to grind them down and like you said I cooled them of with a water when they were getting hot. I did try to drill the handle with no luck. I do have a cutting torch, I may be able to heat the handle part and let it cool on it's own. Removing the Teflon coating is a job in itself. I have a very long way to go. I did start building a 2"x72" belt sander. Just waiting for the machine shop to machine my 6" wheel to fit the electric motor. Mr. Anvil if you take a look at the thread everything motorizes atvs etc. below look up the tread, new build.
Attached Images

Old 12-19-2016, 06:52 PM

Lookink good T!
Old 12-23-2016, 07:15 AM

You can possibly soften the tang/handle area for drilling with the torch but a lot depends (again) on the steel alloy composition. Try a piece of the cut off scrap first. Clamp in vice and heat to cherry red then just let cool to touch and try drilling. It's still going to be hard next to where it is clamped in vice.
If this works and makes it drillable then do the following:
make some safe jaws from sheet aluminum (soda can will do) and clamp the blade end in the vice up to the choil area. The vice will act as a heat sink and the aluminum will protect the blade from scratches. Heat the entire tang to cherry red and let cool same as test piece. Be sure to center punch for drill spots and use fresh sharp drill bits. Recommend at leas an 1/8" pilot hole first if you plan to use larger pins or corby bolts to attach handle scales.
Also recommend you make sure you have the blade sections full finished with primary coarse bevel established before you install handles. Easier to do without scales in the way.
Old 12-23-2016, 09:16 AM

Mr. Anvil thanks for the info. Week after next I will visit the machine shop if they have more blades laying around I will ship you some if you want a few. They just throw them away.
Old 12-24-2016, 07:10 AM

Thank you. Never turned down steel with potential. Be glad to take a couple of broken ones off your hands. Sending a pm with address.
I think the last Starretts that crossed my bench (many moons ago) wound up as book makers' skives. Very specialized leather skive for taper thinning fine thin leather. Still using them.
Old 12-24-2016, 07:15 AM

Meant to add in the "drilling" post to look at your center punch point before and after you strike. If it looks like it dulled the least little bit you are not going to be able to drill with normal HSS bits and will need carbide bits instead - alloy issue I referred to. The cheap masonary bits will do but they won't last long and small ones will usually only get you one hole each.
Old 12-25-2016, 07:58 AM

Hey tsharp, to add to what Carl was saying, dont forget to finish the fronts of the handles that point towards the blade before gluing them on the knife. Once again, its easier to do before they are glued on the blade.
Old 12-26-2016, 06:40 AM

Good point Scottie, just trying to get him past the holes and didn't think about the scale issue.
Old 12-26-2016, 07:13 AM
DOCTOR LUV

Tbro, if you can build a boat from the ground up, purty sho you can make a knife !!!
Old 12-28-2016, 08:49 PM

Ok Guys don't laugh I have total respect for you Guys. It's ALOT HARDER then I expected to make a first class knife. #1 I need the right tools for sure! #2 I need the right stock to make the blade and #3 I need to take my time. This blade is made out some very hard steel. Can't drill it, I used my torch and burned a very small hole for the pins. This knife is very sharp I think it well hold a edge. Well with all that said here are 2 pictures I took.
Attached Images

Old 12-28-2016, 09:06 PM

Nice job sir. They get better and better.
Old 12-28-2016, 09:19 PM

Thats awesome tsharp. Great job. Love to see someone take on a project and see it through. Good looking knife.
Old 12-29-2016, 06:41 AM

Well....see there! Looks like you have all the right ideas on what it takes. Now study up a bit on materials, choose some more "workable" steel, and work a little harder at fit/finish. You're pretty much good in the mechanics and overall shape/design.
That ought to be a good serviceable little knife. Go try to wear her out now and see how she holds up. Take note of any "hot spots" in your hand as you use her. They will tell you more about handle design changes (if you need to make any).
Now make some leather britches for her before she takes a bite.

ps - was kind of figuring you'd have a tough time with the holes. My thinking is that is some kind of "A" series alloy steel. They are a bit tricky to "spot" or "sectional" soften. Might try cleaning up the torched holes with a small masonary bit before assembly.
Old 12-29-2016, 02:54 PM

very good.....your right about needing the right tools and a lot of patience, practice, and time...none the less it is a very satisfying thing to finish the first one....
Old 12-29-2016, 05:20 PM

Very nice! That thing will get the job done for sure.
Now let's see the next one
Old 12-29-2016, 05:46 PM

Thanks for all the great information and comments. Now I started building my tools supply to make it easier, if you want to call it that. Someone gave me 2 of the tools, a Craftsman scroll saw and a Ryobi drum sander. I then purchase a Band saw and started making a 2"x 72" belt sander. I picked up my 1 1/2" HP electric motor today the machine shop installed my 2"x 6" wheel. I also build me a new work table.
Attached Images

Old 12-30-2016, 06:09 AM

Fozzy Bear would be proud.......Movin right along, chug a chug....
Old 12-30-2016, 05:15 PM

I laid out how I wanted my belt sander that I'm building, and I changed a few things this morning. I worked on the belt sander for a couple of hours and completed the welding. Made the tracking wheel, still have to install the spring for the tension. Any advice or more information would help, Thanks Tim.
Attached Images

Old 12-30-2016, 09:29 PM

Sweet.