GON Magazine | GON Classifieds

Go Back   Georgia Outdoor News Forum > Woody's Campfire Talk > Sports Talk
Notices

Old 12-11-2017, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duff View Post
gives something to talk about for 3 looooonnnng weeks, but it will come down to the usual 3.

Turnovers
trenches
special teams

win 2 of those and your golden

yes !!
Old 12-11-2017, 12:25 PM

Never knew we had so many statisticians on here.

Dawgs roll 42-17
Old 12-11-2017, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madsnooker View Post
I don't like Oklahoma and I'm pulling for u ga. With that said, I think oklahomas defense is better than some of you think. The offenses they face are much better than sec offenses with much better QB's across the board. Besides a couple games, the offenses uga faced are not very good. Not saying uga doesnt have a good defense just saying i might pump the brakes a little. Over the last 6 or 7 years ive seen alot of big 12 teams steam roll some sec defences. Bama has had the best defense by far in the sec the last 8 years and how have they fared against spread offenses? Smoked by Clemson last year, smoked by clemson the previous year, smoked by OSU before that, smoked by oklahoma a couple years before that. Have struggled against the few teams in the sec that have also ran some type of spread like ole miss and tam. My point is not that bamas defense wasnt good, but they thrive on sec offenses and by and large look no different then alot of other teams that face the spread much more often.
Georgia’s defensive efficiency ranks 2nd, which is very good, but could be argued that it is skewed because the offenses they normally face haven’t been as capable as some of the offenses in the Big 12. That said, the argument could easily be reversed and used against Oklahoma in regards to some of the weaker defenses that the Sooners have faced.

My final takeaway from all of this is that studying the metrics and statistics all day long will never truly tell me how this matchup will shake out, but the great debate between Georgia’s defense and Oklahoma’s offense will sort itself out on New Year’s Day in Pasadena.

One way Oklahoma can attack Georgia’s highly-touted defense is with the screen pass. In their regular season matchup with the Bulldogs, Auburn used a number of screens to counter Georgia’s blitzes. Schematically, Kirby Smart and Mel Tucker like to dial up both safety and linebacker edge blitzes, but the Tigers made the Bulldogs pay on several occasions. The key for Oklahoma’s high-powered attack is its offensive line. It’s well known that the Sooners have one of the best offensive lines in the entire country. In fact, they’re so dominant, it’s difficult for me to discern what they’re actually better at between pass protection and run blocking. One thing’s for sure: Oklahoma has made life difficult for defenses because they can hardly ever apply pressure on Mayfield. Time and time again, OU’s o-line has given Mayfield all day to pick those defenses apart.

Now, it should be of no surprise to anyone that the offensive play style in the SEC is much different than that of the Big 12’s. In the SEC, most offenses are less likely to throw the deep ball consistently and the overall pace of the game moves at a slower, more methodical rate.

Everybody wants to concentrate on Mayfield, and they should, but we have 3, 1st team All Americans, just announced today. Orlando Brown, left tackle from Peachtree Ridge HS in Suwanee, and TE Mark Andrews, a RS Jr. who will probably go in the 1st round of the draft.

It's going to be a heck of a game. And I for one, can't wait.
Old 12-11-2017, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlsooner View Post
Georgia’s defensive efficiency ranks 2nd, which is very good, but could be argued that it is skewed because the offenses they normally face haven’t been as capable as some of the offenses in the Big 12. That said, the argument could easily be reversed and used against Oklahoma in regards to some of the weaker defenses that the Sooners have faced.

My final takeaway from all of this is that studying the metrics and statistics all day long will never truly tell me how this matchup will shake out, but the great debate between Georgia’s defense and Oklahoma’s offense will sort itself out on New Year’s Day in Pasadena.

One way Oklahoma can attack Georgia’s highly-touted defense is with the screen pass. In their regular season matchup with the Bulldogs, Auburn used a number of screens to counter Georgia’s blitzes. Schematically, Kirby Smart and Mel Tucker like to dial up both safety and linebacker edge blitzes, but the Tigers made the Bulldogs pay on several occasions. The key for Oklahoma’s high-powered attack is its offensive line. It’s well known that the Sooners have one of the best offensive lines in the entire country. In fact, they’re so dominant, it’s difficult for me to discern what they’re actually better at between pass protection and run blocking. One thing’s for sure: Oklahoma has made life difficult for defenses because they can hardly ever apply pressure on Mayfield. Time and time again, OU’s o-line has given Mayfield all day to pick those defenses apart.

Now, it should be of no surprise to anyone that the offensive play style in the SEC is much different than that of the Big 12’s. In the SEC, most offenses are less likely to throw the deep ball consistently and the overall pace of the game moves at a slower, more methodical rate.

Everybody wants to concentrate on Mayfield, and they should, but we have 3, 1st team All Americans, just announced today. Orlando Brown, left tackle from Peachtree Ridge HS in Suwanee, and TE Mark Andrews, a RS Jr. who will probably go in the 1st round of the draft.

It's going to be a heck of a game. And I for one, can't wait.
You had me until you mentioned Big 12 in a superior manner. Anyone and everyone that has a lick of sense knows the SEC is the toughest league year in and year out.

It should be a great game!
Old 12-11-2017, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlsooner View Post
My son was Orlando Brown's backup in HS. Besides 4th quarter mop up duty, I think my son got to play one play in his final year of HS, on a play where Orlando had his helmet come off, and under GHSA rules, he had to sit out for one play.

That dude is one of the most massive human beings I have ever seen in person...6'8" and 360 pounds. When you stand beside him it makes you feel very small. And he seemed to be a nice kid...my son said he was very approachable and well mannered.

And in about 6 months, he will be a very rich kid too. He is projected to be a mid 1st round pick in the draft.

Should be a good game, and at least a one game test of how the SEC and Big 12 really match up.
Old 12-11-2017, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyW View Post
My son was Orlando Brown's backup in HS. Besides 4th quarter mop up duty, I think my son got to play one play in his final year of HS, on a play where Orlando had his helmet come off, and under GHSA rules, he had to sit out for one play.

That dude is one of the most massive human beings I have ever seen in person...6'8" and 360 pounds. When you stand beside him it makes you feel very small. And he seemed to be a nice kid...my son said he was very approachable and well mannered.

And in about 6 months, he will be a very rich kid too. He is projected to be a mid 1st round pick in the draft.

Should be a good game, and at least a one game test of how the SEC and Big 12 really match up.
Couldn't agree with you more. Just a good kid, that fell into OU's lap. Was a UT commit and he was signing with them on signing day. And ole Butch decided he didn't need him and denied him the scholly. He then signed with OU and it shocked the staff at OU. What a nice pickup he's been. And a good kid.
Old 12-11-2017, 05:13 PM

Yeah AltSooner, I had a volunteer position in the program as the spotter for JV games. The varsity HC would sit in the booth during JV games and we had several conversations about Brown. He said his biggest challenge with Orlando, besides managing his weight (at one point in his HS career his weight ballooned to over 400 pounds ) was to make him more aggressive and meaner. Apparently he was a timid player who was afraid that he was going to hurt someone with his size.

Something to watch for in the Ok/GA game...when Peachtree Ridge played Norcross in their senior seasons, Lorenzo Carter was matched up across from Brown. In that game Brown absolutely owned Carter. He frustrated him to the point that Carter tried to pick a fight with Brown, and Carter drew two personal fouls in the first half. He was not used to being dominated and completely lost his composure.

Carter has moved from the D-line to linebacker in college but could still line up across from Brown in some situations. It will be interesting to see if there is any lingering animosity between the two in this game.
Old 12-11-2017, 09:04 PM

here are a few of the Joe Moore Award semi finalist:*No.

Auburn*finalist
Georgia
Notre Dame*finalist
Oklahoma

Just a hunch, but I am guessing UGAs DL has seen some fair OL performances this year. But on the flip side, I am also guessing that OU's OL has not seen a front seven like UGA's That isn't to say we will be the best, but UGA's will be far different than what they are used to playing against in the BigXII

I am going to call this some old school "Ditch Ball" cause in order to win this game, they are going to have to get down in the ditch to win.