Go Back   Georgia Outdoor News Forum > Woody's Campfire Talk > On Topic -- Questions and Answers

Old 01-13-2018, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldDot40 View Post
Shotgun Load Tests
...it covers birdshot as a defense round.
I never really understood these "shoot through drywall" kind of tests. What is that supposed to be telling me?
I'm really not anticipating somebody that's made out of drywall attacking me.
Seems like something like this is more realistic
(not completely realistic but more realistic) than drywall if you aren't going to use ballistics gelatin -
Starts out with the drywall test then moves into meat testing at 2:30.

And theres a "shot him in the chest and he kept walking" story for just about every caliber one would be using for home defense.
Old 01-13-2018, 03:22 PM

There will be no "show down at the OK coral" If you're sleeping, you will have no time to take a stance or calculate backgrounds. Have a gun YOU can bring to bear quickly and practice so that you aren't fumbling around trying to load or chamber a round. You will not need a second mag. Make your first shot count.
Old 01-13-2018, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaltL1 View Post
I never really understood these "shoot through drywall" kind of tests. What is that supposed to be telling me?
The video was highlighting the penetration through drywall because that's what most people have in their home as walls. If you have somebody made of drywall attacking you...you obviously have bigger issues.

It boils down to knowing your home and what's beyond the perp. For instance, I can walk out of my bedroom and shoot in the direction of my front or back door with a 30.06 without fear of hitting anybody else...even neighbors. "IF" the perp gets into the living room (my security system obviously failed), then I wouldn't even consider a shot with any gun because beyond him is my oldest daughter's bedroom.

My dedicated home defense shotgun is stuffed with 00 buckshot, though I have an option to just as quickly opt for a 9mm stuffed with 124gr Speer Gold Dots or a .40 stuffed with 165gr Speer Gold Dots. The likelihood of a perp walking/running away is extremely slim.
Old 01-14-2018, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaltL1 View Post
Seems like something like this is more realistic
(not completely realistic but more realistic) than drywall if you aren't going to use ballistics gelatin -
Starts out with the drywall test then moves into meat testing at 2:30.

And theres a "shot him in the chest and he kept walking" story for just about every caliber one would be using for home defense.
The "through the drywall test" dispels the myth that you can shoot birdshot in the house without putting your family at risk.

Cardinal rule #4 still applies.
Old 01-15-2018, 06:41 PM

I just wanted to toss out something on home security....

remember, years ago, that when you went into your local gas station, a driveway 'ding-ding' bell would sound?

well, they're still available at auto parts stores for about 80 bucks. air hose is 20 cents a foot.

I've got one mounted in my concrete drive way, up by the mail box. the bell is on a porch post. it can be heard in the house, in the shed, or out back.

mailman, pizza guy, visitors all hear the bell.

no surprises here, folks............if you hear the bell at midnight......?
Old 01-19-2018, 12:05 PM

I don't have a link handy, but I remember other testing (on video, posted online) of shotgun vs. rifle vs. pistol-caliber-carbine for overpenetration issues through interior walls of a home, and the result was that:

1.) All FMJ ammo and most big-game hunting ammo from rifle calibers was way overpenetrating. Even a center of mass HIT on the home invader could still send the bullet exiting out his back, through the wall, and entering the next room with lethal velocity and mass.

2.) The LEAST penetration in an innocent victim, after the load has shot through one interior wall (2 layers of drywall spaced a few inches apart) was a TIE between:
* .223 varmint bullets, 45-55 grains made to rapidly expand (they fragment)
* small birdshot loads from a shotgun.

3.) Handgun rounds, even the best hollowpoints with wide mouths, had plenty of penetration after going through the drywall. They'd certainly be fatal to people on the other side.

4.) Shotgun 00 buckshot was like the pistol-caliber hollowpoints. Good for killin' bad guys, but also lethal to people in the next room of you miss.
Old 01-24-2018, 07:11 AM

This is why you should never use birdshot for home defense. Young man in this article was shot at very close range in the back with a duck load and was fine enough to want to continue hunting. If a teenager can keep hunting with a load of shot in his back, what's someone determined to hurt you going to do?

http://www.wideopenspaces.com/duck-h...tm_campaign=mm