Go Back   Georgia Outdoor News Forum > Deer and Small Game Hunting and Trail Cams > Deer Hunting

Old 04-25-2018, 06:49 PM

Bubba, that will work as long as you have a 'good limb'. Often I don't have a good limb to toss a rope over in some trees.
Old 04-25-2018, 09:54 PM

Hogman - I can’t tell if you were just joshing me or perhaps trying to goad to me into something. I can take all of the “funning” in the world but I am not generally easily manipulated.

Most folks that know me will tell you I am pretty straight up.

Bubba - for those that have excellent systems that work for them to erect a ladder stand and also increase the safety of the overall process, I am delighted for them. We have moved into the era where are many ladder stands are 20 feet tall and some taller than that. If your process allows you to lift the stands, you are still faced with the fact that it is not overly secured to the tree when you ascend to put the first chain or strap on it. Also, as Sandra noted – many is the tree that is not excellently set up for what you were talking about doing. Again, if your process works, I am delighted for you but there seems to be a very clear opportunity in our sport - for folks to find a better way to skin a cat as it relates to putting up ladder stands.

GON folks - I apologize for any and all delays. I do believe the device has a viable place in putting up ladder stands in a consistent and safe manner. I have not had a lot of time lately to work on the marketing aspect of this device but will endeavor to do so in the near future. My next step is to erect the very heavy extended millennium stand and I intend to do that in the next few weeks. That will be my next “real world” test of the device.

My genuine thank you to everyone who has followed patiently along with this thread.
Old 04-26-2018, 07:17 AM

Jim, I have been following along with great interest and I can't wait to try this out.
I have an ordinary 2 man stand at CMCH still in the box waiting to be tested with your set up. I think that with a little bit of instruction from you it will make for a great test. This way you can get some feedback from someone with no prior operational experience.
Now, If I can just get there the same weekend as you.
Old 04-26-2018, 07:53 AM

Karl - that will be easy as pie - that stand is likely not very tall.

I will be there 12-13 and 19-20 May.

Keith will be there that second weekend also.

Thanks !
Old 05-07-2018, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Boyd View Post
Hogman - I can’t tell if you were just joshing me or perhaps trying to goad to me into something. I can take all of the “funning” in the world but I am not generally easily manipulated.

Most folks that know me will tell you I am pretty straight up.

Bubba - for those that have excellent systems that work for them to erect a ladder stand and also increase the safety of the overall process, I am delighted for them. We have moved into the era where are many ladder stands are 20 feet tall and some taller than that. If your process allows you to lift the stands, you are still faced with the fact that it is not overly secured to the tree when you ascend to put the first chain or strap on it. Also, as Sandra noted – many is the tree that is not excellently set up for what you were talking about doing. Again, if your process works, I am delighted for you but there seems to be a very clear opportunity in our sport - for folks to find a better way to skin a cat as it relates to putting up ladder stands.

GON folks - I apologize for any and all delays. I do believe the device has a viable place in putting up ladder stands in a consistent and safe manner. I have not had a lot of time lately to work on the marketing aspect of this device but will endeavor to do so in the near future. My next step is to erect the very heavy extended millennium stand and I intend to do that in the next few weeks. That will be my next “real world” test of the device.

My genuine thank you to everyone who has followed patiently along with this thread.
No Goading on my part ,just messing wid you, This is your cat you can skin it when you want, Lots of folks are curious and some doubt that there is anything that will do this without a lot of $$ or machinery, Sounds like you might market it so I now understand the secrecy .
Old 05-07-2018, 06:46 PM

Thanks Hogman!

My wife ordered me a book (today) that outlines procedures that may be beneficial if you have something you want to market.

Money is not the real problem - but “at risk” money is a bad thing.

I took a very heavy 21’ Millenium ladder stand to the club this past weekend and I am going to put it up on 19 May - this will be another good, real world test.

I have come to the conclusion that two people are better than one - mainly to control left and right sway on tall ladders as they go up. The strength needed is very minimal - a 100 lb person could do it...

I will still put stands up by myself - but I am pretty creative....

Thanks for the patience!
Old 05-07-2018, 06:53 PM

PS - it is NOT a lot of machinery - the device weighs substantially less than an average stand. About 50 lbs, maybe less.

The costs will not be remarkable either - probably about as much as a decent ladder stand.

I have two prototypes and I am about $1K into the project but I have had a few miscues and I have some remaining supplies.

More to come.....

Last edited by Jim Boyd; 05-07-2018 at 08:37 PM.
Old 05-07-2018, 07:51 PM

Quote:
PS - it is NOT a lot of machinery - the device weighs substantially less than an ever age stand. About 50 lbs, maybe less.

The costs will not be remarkable either - probably about as much as a decent ladder stand.

I have two prototypes and I am about $1K into the project but I have had a few miscues and I have some remaining supplies.

More to come.....
Sounds very interesting, As you know or will the Liability part[ Lawsuit insurance] is incredible, I talked to the summit guys years ago before they sold out and couldn't believe how much Liability insurance you had to have to sell a tree stand these days .
Old 05-18-2018, 04:26 AM

Any updates ?
Old 05-18-2018, 08:17 AM

Morning Tideup ( great name and would also make a great boat name!)

Headed to the camp this afternoon and plan to put the extra heavy Millenium up. It will not have the “flex in the middle” problem that many stands have - I see this a lot with top heavy stands like double ladders stands or stands that have a roof added.

This stand is just massive and heavy. I have created a cable type girder system for the ladder of this stand and while this is the first time I have done this, my hope is that it provides good rigidity to what is a tall and heavy ladder.

Not sure where we are gonna put it but it will most likely be in some thick and nasty - will try to get some pics of the stands and provide a summary of the time and difficulty needed to put the stand up.

Another real world test.

Thanks for asking!

Old 05-22-2018, 09:11 PM

You need to hurry and get this contraption on the market as I ain't gettin' no younger. Turned 69 on my last B-day.
Them 20 ft.+ ladder stands aint gettin no lighter even for two people.
Tree fell on me back in 2011, had 2 compression fractures and 1 burst fracture on my backbone. Makes wrassling with a tall ladder stand kinda tough. Iffin you want someone to try out this contraption your making holler at me.
Old Yesterday, 05:29 AM

Quote:
Morning Tideup ( great name and would also make a great boat name!)

Headed to the camp this afternoon and plan to put the extra heavy Millenium up. It will not have the “flex in the middle” problem that many stands have - I see this a lot with top heavy stands like double ladders stands or stands that have a roof added.

This stand is just massive and heavy. I have created a cable type girder system for the ladder of this stand and while this is the first time I have done this, my hope is that it provides good rigidity to what is a tall and heavy ladder.

Not sure where we are gonna put it but it will most likely be in some thick and nasty - will try to get some pics of the stands and provide a summary of the time and difficulty needed to put the stand up.

Another real world test.

Thanks for asking!

That is the name of my boat Jim 😄
Old Yesterday, 06:50 AM

Dang Larry - So sorry to hear about the injuries.

Yes, the taller, stronger and heavier the stands get, the tougher they are to put up.

Ladder stands are here to stay, that is for sure. I would imagine they make up 35-40% of total stand sales - not in numbers of units perhaps but potentially in revenue. That is just a SWAG though.

It is not just the lifting of the stands, it is the securing them to the tree once you have them elevated.

My guess is the minor injuries occur while lifting (strains, stresses, back problems, etc) but the real injuries occur while trying to secure the stand to the tree (someone falls or the stand collapses).

We did not get the Millenium up - spent the weekend cutting in new plots and tearing the disk up (again).

Tiedup - love it!!!!!

Old Yesterday, 05:53 PM

One of my fears in the woods is taking a sudden jolt which I might get from a climbing stand so I gave up on mine and started using ladderstands. My wife and I went out to put
up a ladderstand 2 yrs. ago and almost had it up when it tilted to one side and flipped over and it hit her in the head.
Can't repeat what she said other than that she wouldn't help me again. So unless I get help it doesn't get moved. I have been following along on this idea of yours so I hope something becomes of it. I hope I can hunt another 10 to 15 years before I have to give it up.