GON Magazine | GON Classifieds

Go Back   Georgia Outdoor News Forum > Deer and Small Game Hunting and Trail Cams > Deer Hunting With Dogs

Old 10-07-2015, 02:26 PM

Well.....sounds like NONE of you guys patterned your buckshot. I did a very minor amount a couple of years back but now I'm going to try about 6 different ammo (3", 2 3/4" and Rem, Win, Fed in 3 different chokes. As I collect everything I realize I never did this cause it is going to be a lot of work.
Sometimes we have to do a lot just to establish what we suspected is actually true- I might not learn anything.
I've read about a few rare shotguns that put a whole load into a hand sized pattern at 25 or 30 yards. My tests were much worse- maybe 4 pellets into a paper plate at 25 yards.
Some folks aim at the lower neck/shoulder and others at the lungs.
By sharing experiences I think we could learn a lot.
My gut feeling is 15-25 yards is best. 30-35 yards is getting sort of far, if the cover is open enough for 50 yard shots use a rifle or slugs.
It would be most helpful for both good and bad experience to be given. That would help establish limits on buckshot use.
Where I live I'd say 80% of the guys with deer dogs use shotguns and the rest some sort of rifle. Semi-autos in .243, maybe lever actions, etc.
Old 01-28-2016, 11:15 PM

After revisiting this thread I decided to see what the ole benelli aka Strictly Business was doing as far as pattern, out of shear curiosity. Set up a sheet of cut plywood roughly 4x4 or 4x5 @ 60 yards. Using my dog hunting setup I poured 11 out of 12 pellets into what would have been a dead deer. Backed off to 80 yards and poured 9 out of 12 pellets into what would have been another dead deer. No all the pellets weren't in the size of a pie plate and that still wont stop me from shooting at deer at those distances. I shot 5 times this year behind dogs and there were 5 deer laying dead in there tracks. 2 of the 5 were in the 60 yard range, the other 3 were closer. We have 3 or 4 fellas in our club that if they pull the trigger you can go ahead and ease that way and start loading dogs because the race is over. Yall boys keep trying to figure out a pattern that pleases you and we will keep loading em up on the tailgate. My recommendation to yall is pick you up a buck kicker choke,some Winchester double X high velocity 00, stop worrying about those patterns and get to hunting.
Old 02-02-2016, 11:02 PM

Mike your advice contains many incongruities.

Saying that patterning is a waste of time and then recommending an ammo brand and a $75 choke tube simply does not add up.

Particularly in view of the choke tube manufacturer's patterning tips and recommendation to:

"Know the capabilities of your gun before going afield"

http://www.kicks-ind.com/category/buckkicker.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelowery9 View Post
...My personal opinion is patterning a shotgun is a waste of time...
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelowery9 View Post
...My recommendation to yall is pick you up a buck kicker choke,some Winchester double X high velocity 00, stop worrying about those patterns and get to hunting....
Old 02-03-2016, 01:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .60 caliber buckshot View Post
Mike your advice contains many incongruities.

Saying that patterning is a waste of time and then recommending an ammo brand and a $75 choke tube simply does not add up.

Particularly in view of the choke tube manufacturer's patterning tips and recommendation to:

"Know the capabilities of your gun before going afield"

http://www.kicks-ind.com/category/buckkicker.html

Its your opinion and your entitled to it. You can pattern yours until your blue in the shoulder, doesn't bother me a bit. Hate to tell you bud but the ammo brand was recommended because it has been proven to stop deer better than any other round we have run through our guns, not because "it improves pattern". Penetration is the word you should research for this. The choke was recommended for extended range not because of a statement about knowing your guns capabilities before going afield. I made the purchase because the people that were using it were consistently stacking deer up on the tailgates. I say all that to say this, no matter if you pattern your gun or not if you consistently kill deer with one shot then your doing it right. My case I don't pattern mine and I get the job done. So to me patterning my gun is a WASTE OF TIME. To those of you that have to pattern yours to get it done then by all means do what you have to do.