GON Magazine | GON Classifieds

Go Back   Georgia Outdoor News Forum > Deer and Small Game Hunting and Trail Cams > Deer Hunting With Dogs

Old 03-03-2016, 06:37 PM
Default Hit/Miss % when running dogs?

What percentage of deer do you miss when running dogs? I don't run dogs yet, but i hunt a wma in cent fl that allows it, and so far i have killed 4 bucks and missed 1 that the dogs ran past me, so for me 80%. I'm sure that will change though when i start running dogs.
Old 03-03-2016, 08:47 PM

I ain't never missed. Every once in a while I shoot behind one to speed him up, or shoot in front of one to turn him..... But no misses. Some races are just too good to end.
Old 03-03-2016, 09:33 PM

Seriously, I did know one sole that never missed in front of dogs. He was a convicted fellon and joined the club so he could be entertained on the weekends. He was also the only one on the club allowed to drink during a hunt, being he couldn't have a firearm or drive a vehicle. Shot a manya deer with his pointer finger.
Old 03-04-2016, 09:06 AM

I have missed a few over the years, but, my percentage of hit is pretty darn good! I have never missed one in the woods, the ones I've missed have been running across a pipeline, but it's only been a couple. Most of the time in the woods, a deer will stop momentarily and you have to time your shot just right. These days I don't take many low percentage shots either, so that helps.

I had a neighbor that used to carry a whistle to stand and he'd blow it at the deer if it was running too fast. You could also use a grunt call, to momentarily stop them and take the shot.
Old 03-04-2016, 02:15 PM

A lot less now than I used to. Used to be bad about not keeping my head down. I guess I was trying to hard to see what was going on.

Which central fl WMA?
Old 03-06-2016, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishootlittlebucks View Post
A lot less now than I used to. Used to be bad about not keeping my head down. I guess I was trying to hard to see what was going on.

Which central fl WMA?
Richloam wma, but i also hunt ocala some and have had a few encounters with bucks being by dogs but so far i haven't managed to kill one there in front of dogs. Every time i've killed one in front of the dogs i would always drag him to the road and wait for the dogs owners to show up and offer to split the meat. So far they have declined to take me up on my offer.
Old 03-06-2016, 10:50 PM
Bo$$ Mod

I think I missed one, but I could be mistaken about that. We didn't like to talk about misses. Specially if you missed and the deer and dogs crossed the boundary to a block that did not have a road within 5 miles of it.
Old 03-07-2016, 11:15 AM

I've missed a lot, more than I care to admit but rarely did back years ago. Didn't miss but one this year so I'm improving.

I missed more in one race than most have probably missed more in their whole lives, 13 times on a 6 pt. I shot at him on 4 crossings, with 1 being a clearing. I think 4 or 5 of us in total missed him with 30+ shots. The bulletproof 6... most of our deer are cruising at knee high and have a phd in running.

Last edited by grouper throat; 03-07-2016 at 11:25 AM.
Old 03-08-2016, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fldeerhunter View Post
Richloam wma, but i also hunt ocala some and have had a few encounters with bucks being by dogs but so far i haven't managed to kill one there in front of dogs. Every time i've killed one in front of the dogs i would always drag him to the road and wait for the dogs owners to show up and offer to split the meat. So far they have declined to take me up on my offer.
I hunt Richloam, and have my whole life. We always appreciate the offer, but usually decline also.
Old 04-20-2016, 11:28 PM
Possum Sox

Im at a 100 percent kill ratio but haven't been hunting deer with dogs long I'm sure the ratio will change as time goes by