GON Magazine | GON Classifieds

Go Back   Georgia Outdoor News Forum > Deer and Small Game Hunting and Trail Cams > Deer Hunting With Dogs

Old 02-06-2016, 07:01 PM
Default buckshot question

Not exactly a dog question but thought ya'll would be the experts for this. I have access to hunting some nasty thick pines. I am going to have to put some work in to find a stand to hang on and cut some short shooting lanes?

Just wondered what was the typical set up for shotguns with dogs, thought I would need something similar in this situation. I am hunting an old Winchester pump 12 gauge 2 3/4

Do ya'll use any special sighting systems or just go with the bead on the long barrel.
Old 02-07-2016, 12:16 AM

We man drive, and our land owner requires buckshot on drives.

Standard setup is 28" +/- usually mod choke. With deer it's fine. I feel comfortable to 40y. I prefer 3" for buck and usually use 00, iirc that's 15 pellets. Usually remington, but will occasionally burrow other stuff if in short supply.
Old 02-07-2016, 09:32 AM
Possum Sox

Buy several different sizes, loads and brands pattern your gun and you will know what works best
Old 02-08-2016, 05:40 PM

So is there an overall shot which work best with a modified choke
Old 02-09-2016, 08:28 AM

Try the Federal 00 buck with their 'flite control' wad. It gives some amazing patterns with standard chokes. A rear sight helps but test pattern with your gun as is and see if you get pellets on target.
Old 02-09-2016, 09:20 AM

This video shows actual buckshot penetration tests on ballistic gelatin blocks at 50 yards.
http://blog.cheaperthandirt.com/buck...thal-50-yards/

#000 buckshot penetrated to 16 inches.
00 buck went to 14 inches.
#4 buckshot only penetrated 9 inches, which is still better than I expected at 50 yards from such small pellets.

I would pattern your gun, however, and see how much of a spread you get, and how big the gaps are in the coverage area at 20, 30, and 40 yards.

I tested my own 20 gauge shotgun with buckshot last year, and I was shocked how big the patterns were even with the FULL choke tube in place. I needed to get within 25 yards to keep all my pellets on the target paper (about 2 ft. square). I didn't get what I would call a "good" dense pattern until I was within 50 feet.

And when I shot my #2 and #3 buckshot loads into scrap lumber (soft southern pine, not pressure-treated), the pellets were stopped within 1.5 to 1.75" of this wood.
My 9mm pistol sent its bullets through 4" and 5" of the same wood, the same day.

But apparently, the ballistic gelatin tests show buckshot to have acceptable penetration, and real-word experience in the hunting world and the law enforcement world seems to confirm this.
Old 02-09-2016, 05:22 PM

Turkey choke. Never seen one not throw a tight pattern with buckshot
Old 02-10-2016, 09:17 AM

I have always had best luck with a full choke. I would start with a factory full and try as many different brands and sizes as you can find. Don't just look at the walmart or poorly stocked sporting goods store. A store with a good buckshot selection is hard to find. You may have to order on-line to try what you want.

I prefer 00 or 000. Though a 2 3/4 gun will work well, the selection of buckshot will be much smaller. I personally wouldn't use anything smaller than #1, but let you're gun decide the rest. I have enough faith in a full choke, that I won't switch to anything else until I just can't find a load to shoot through it (I have never come to that).

Pattern your gun. I shoot at 40 yards to find the best pattern, then try closer and farther to figure out your maximum range, then stick to it.

I dog hunt with a shotgun , and am confident with my set-up to 60 yards. That being said, unless a deer is running fast, I believe you're better off with a rifle. That's what I still hunt with, even if I can't see more than 25 yards.
Old 02-10-2016, 11:32 AM

I'm guessing the OP has an older gun with fixed modified choke bbl. Try the Federal 00 buckshot loads with the flitecontrol wads #PFC154.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/691...l-wad-box-of-5
Old 02-10-2016, 04:48 PM

Thanks guys for all the input I think my gun is a modified choke it is a Winchester Ranger 120. I think I am leaning towards getting several brands of OO buck and setting up a paper plate around 30 yards. I will be hunting some pines which are regrowth of around 8 years old so I will probably be cutting my own shooting lanes several directions and trying not to disturb the area too much. No one has been hunting this regrowth and just trying to get some ideas by thinking outside the box
Old 02-10-2016, 05:25 PM

Ok. guys maybe scratch earlier stuff after looking closely at the gun I realized it held 23/4 shells and 3 inch shells

It is a 12 gauge Ranger 120 shotgun with Winchoke wrote on the barrel and when I looked closely at the top of the barrel I barely see the words Full.

So 2 questions
1. I would assume this means Full choke? Right

2. Since it is a full choke should I try and shoot smaller buckshot like 1 or 4 or would I still be ok with OO or OOO?

3. Then opinions on 2 3/4 or 3 inch shell
Old 02-11-2016, 08:57 AM

If it says win-choke, you sure it doesn't have choke tubes? If it's a full choke barrel, you are also good to go.

Smaller buckshot will lack knock down power at longer ranges. In my opinion, anything smaller than #1 shouldn't be considered except at very close range. I personally wouldn't #1 shoot unless I couldn't get 000 or 00 to shoot.

Been a lot of deer killed with 2 3/4" buckshot, but the selection of quality 3" shells will be much greater.

In a 3" gun, I always start with a full choke and 3" winchester 000. 9 times out of 10 that combo will throw great patterns. The best I've had was a Browning Gold that would put all 10 pellets into 10" at 40. I haven't had great luck with 3" 00 of any brand. I like a tight pattern, and usually don't find that with 00. It's a shame too, I'd rather have half again more pellets and shoot 00 (15) over 000(10). I think the reason 000 shoots so well is because it's stacked by 2s. Don't know why that matters, but I hand load for a 16 with 00 stacked by 2s and they are bad.

Another load to try is winchester hi-velocity 00. It comes loaded with 12 pellets instead of 15, and leaves the muzzle at 1450 fps (as opposed to about 1200 fps for a 15 pellet load). I've only found a couple guns that shot it well, but if you have one, it's a bad load.

I would try shooting at a bigger piece of paper than a paper plate. Buckshot loads kick pretty good when you're not shooting at something alive. It's easy to miss the plate by a little and think you have a bad load. It's hard not to flinch after a few.

The shotgun I'm shooting now, I will probably be buried with. It's a benelli Super Black Eagle 2 with a 24" barrel. I shoot 3 1/2" remington 00(18 pellets) through an aftermarket full choke that is extended. It will put all 18 pellets into 13" at 40 yards every time.

If you find a good load, remember to aim. It's surprisingly easy to miss with a tight shotgun (don't ask me how I know).
Old 02-11-2016, 09:19 AM

Got it at a pawn shop only thing that came with it was the choke currently on it
Old 02-11-2016, 10:32 AM

If it says full on the barrel, then it should be a fixed full choke barrel, which is fine. I don't know a lot about winchester shotguns post model 12, But I thought "win choke" meant choke tubes, which is also fine. Look at the end of the barrel, if it is knurled or has notches for a choke tube wrench, unthread it and see what it says on the choke tube. If it has notches a coin will usually work, unless it's stuck.

Forget all you read on the internet/magazines about shooting buckshot through an improved cylinder tube/barrel. That would be great for open, across the room defensive patterns. You need good 40 yard, knock a deer down patterns. Most people have no idea how or why we use buckshot. A lot of folks don't take the time to really wring out a shotgun to see what it's capable of. Some just buy what the can get at wally world and throw it in a gun they've had laying around. When it doesn't kill the deer standing sideways at 30 yards, they publicly state everywhere that buckshot sucks and should be banned. It can cost a lot of time and money to find a good combo, but if you're gonna hunt deer with one it's necessary.
Old 02-11-2016, 10:42 AM

It says full in real small letters at the end of the barrel which I think is part of the choke
Old 02-11-2016, 10:51 AM

If the barrel is marked it is a fixed choke; no tube. Its easy to see at the muzzle if there is a separate choke tube due to the notches for the wrench.
Full choke is fine for 00 buck; put up some paper and pattern away.
3" will pound your shoulder; 2 3/4" is just fine but 3" gets you extra pellets depending on brand etc.
Lots of deer have been taken with inexpensive Remington 'green and yellow box' 00 buck; plain lead shot 9 pellets. Good place to start without breaking the bank and you'll find it anywhere.
Old 02-11-2016, 05:22 PM

Found some pictures of winchoke on the internet definitely is a choke which was left on the gun from previous owner. Fine with that since my dad who has passed away bought it for me kind of want to figure a way I can hunt with it as is due to sentimental factor
Old 02-12-2016, 07:06 PM

Take a pic and show us. Sounds like and extended full choke.
Old 02-12-2016, 10:09 PM

Looks just like these with Full wrote on the little thin strip

http://www.ebay.com/itm/WINCHESTER-W...-/161480380239
Old 02-12-2016, 10:10 PM

Id try the #1 buck first.
Old 02-12-2016, 10:13 PM

I think I am leaning that way towards testing 2 boxes of Federal blue box 2 3/4 OO buck (12 pellets) and 3 inch OO buck (15 pellets) and two boxes Winchester super x 2 3/4 (16 pellets) 1 buck and 3 inch (24 pellets) 1 buck
Old 02-12-2016, 11:14 PM

There ya go. Try the choke you have. If not happy try a true extended choke like from Trulock. Full or extrafull.
Old 02-13-2016, 12:20 AM

#1 buck gives you more pellets with just a little pellet weight loss. No brainer to me.
Old 02-13-2016, 07:42 AM

I grew up hunting on a dog hunting lease. To summarize what I learned as a youth about buckshot, and deer hunting, is to pattern your shotgun, with the load your going to hunt with! Years of trial and error, hit and misses, I've learned to see what your gun is actually doing at a given distance.

I found that my 20 gauge with a 28" modified barrel, using #3 buckshot, patterned great, and I did well with it, and so did my son. However, I thought my upgrade to a 12 gauge, with a 30" full choke, using 00 buckshot would be the ticket, but after "not the best luck" with it, I decided to check the pattern, at 40 yards, and it was actually terrible!

About that time, I upgraded to a rifle, so I didn't experiment further. If I were to try that 12 gauge shotgun again, I'd try the 28" modified barrel(I have 2 barrels), using 1 buck, to see how it patterns, in comparison, to the 00 buck, and 30" full.

Bottom line, you can speculate, but until you actually try and pattern it, you won't know.
Old 02-15-2016, 04:03 PM

You may find a combo in that bunch that does what you want. If you don't, please try win 3" 000. I bet it throws a tight pattern. I have friends that swear by the rem 000, but I've only tried winchester.