GON Magazine | GON Classifieds

Go Back   Georgia Outdoor News Forum > Deer and Small Game Hunting and Trail Cams > Deer Hunting With Dogs

Old 01-27-2017, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Kaminski View Post
I'm surprised nobody mentioned buying a slug barrel.
A slug barrel wouldn't throw buck shot worth a crap. That's what this thread was about, shooting buckshot.
Old 01-27-2017, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelowery9 View Post
The only thing that comes out the end of my barrel is Winchester Double X high velocity, running a Kicks buck kicker choke on a benelli vinci 28" barrel. 60 yards she puts 11 out of 12 pellets in a deer size target, 80 yards she puts 9 out of 12 pellets in a deer size target. Over the last 3 seasons I squeezed the trigger 11 times and 11 deer never took another step, that's anywhere from 10 yards to 75+ yards running and standing still. I have personally seen a lot of guys running the kicks buck kicker setup out of several different guns with the high velocity rounds with the same results. Its a pure death setup that has been tried and true. Just my two cents.
What is the constriction on your Kicks BK choke tube? Light Full / Full / X Full?

Edit - I looks at the Kicks site; sounds very similar to the Patternmaster chokes [wad stripping, ported.]
I have PMs for Rem and Benelli guns but am pretty sold on the new Federal loads with FliteControl wads.
Old 01-27-2017, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmoser View Post
... Patternmaster chokes [wad stripping, ported.]
I have PMs for Rem and Benelli guns but am pretty sold on the new Federal loads with FliteControl wads.
jmoser:

According to Patternmaster their chokes work best with Federal Premium buckshot without the Flite Control wad. For example the 3" 15 pellet 00B Federal Premium round has a conventional plastic wad and the pellets are stacked in a "spiral" or offset manner inside the wad. Try these before you spend more on another choke tube.

Pattern your gun/choke/load combinations for yourself. Then I suggest establishing the maximum range your gun/choke/load will deliver a minimum acceptable pattern.

Last edited by .60 caliber buckshot; 01-29-2017 at 02:18 PM.
Old 01-27-2017, 09:11 PM

Well I think I am satisfied with my results, after trying various loads it seems like the good ole 3 inch green box remington 000 buck is what seems to work best in my gun.

Thanks for all the replies on this post it has been very helpful.

It did not work well in my gun but if you feel like trying out a kick butt load try that winchester 00 buck 3 inch. I think the high velocity kicks harder that 000.
Old 01-28-2017, 11:12 PM

Common Man,
Just curious, did you ever take the Win-Choke out of your barrel just to check that it removable? If not, I would try it, if it will come out you will have a more versatile gun by being able to change chokes. But be careful, if it's stuck you could twist your barrel, but there will be plenty of help on here for that problem.
Old 01-31-2017, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .60 caliber buckshot View Post
jmoser:

According to Patternmaster their chokes work best with Federal Premium buckshot without the Flite Control wad. For example the 3" 15 pellet 00B Federal Premium round has a conventional plastic wad and the pellets are stacked in a "spiral" or offset manner inside the wad. Try these before you spend more on another choke tube.
Yes - I owned the PM tubes long before the new FliteControl ammo was available. The Federal 'FC' gets Cyl or IC standard chokes in my guns.
Old 02-01-2017, 09:04 AM

Quote:
What is the constriction on your Kicks BK choke tube? Light Full / Full / X Full?

Edit - I looks at the Kicks site; sounds very similar to the Patternmaster chokes [wad stripping, ported.]
X-full
Old 02-01-2017, 11:22 AM

I have a Benelli SBE 24" bbl set up as a dedicated slug / buckshot with fastfire rib mounted red dot. Looks funny but forward 'scout mount' is ideal.

I am going to test some buckshot at 50 yards this weekend; Federal standard and flight control with Patternmaster and standard chokes. Don't have any Win XX HV but might try some in the future.
Old 02-01-2017, 02:47 PM

Quote:
I have a Benelli SBE 24" bbl set up as a dedicated slug / buckshot with fastfire rib mounted red dot. Looks funny but forward 'scout mount' is ideal.

I am going to test some buckshot at 50 yards this weekend; Federal standard and flight control with Patternmaster and standard chokes. Don't have any Win XX HV but might try some in the future.
Testing your Gun/Choke/Load combination for yourself is the way to go. Indeed, you will then know the actual size and core density average of your patterns.
Old 02-01-2017, 08:37 PM

In reply. I had tried to get the choke off but couldn't so decided to work with what I had, didn't realize at time but it was a full choke and what I wanted anyway. Thanks for all yalls inputs didn't realize this post would take off like this slot of good info here
Old 02-05-2017, 09:02 AM

After tests I got good results at 50 yd with fed 3" flight control and IC/LM extended tubes in my 870.

SBE with win double X 3" did OK in my old Comp-n-choke .665" turkey tube, not as good with patternmaster and surprisingly not well with Fed flight control and any choke.

I did notice that the Win double X does not have a plastic shot cup at all, just a fiber wad under the shot. Fresh snow on the range made finding the wads real easy, the Fed FC flew 40 yards downrange. So the PM choke with wad stopper is probably not a great choice for this Win shell, PM constriction is not that much.

Fun way to spend a cold Feb Saturday!
Old 02-05-2017, 01:50 PM

One of the hardest things to get across to many shotgunners is that taking the time to discover how their particular Shotgun/Choke/Buckshot load actually patterns, before heading to the woods, is important. A given shotgun/choke/load combination may not necessarily pattern the way another identical setup will.

That is not to say one cannot make informed choices in the choke tube and buckshot ammuntion market. However, Ronald Reagan's line "Trust but verify" applies here as well.

Last edited by .60 caliber buckshot; 02-11-2017 at 01:48 PM.
Old 02-05-2017, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Kaminski View Post
I'm surprised nobody mentioned buying a slug barrel.
Since this is a discussion about buckshot, I assume you mean a rifle sighted smoothbore barrel threaded for choke tubes - like Remington makes for the 870.

These are actually great buckshot barrels, particularly so when set up and sighted in with fast to use express style sights like these:

http://www.xssights.com/Detail.aspx?...93532&CAT=8270
Old 02-05-2017, 08:27 PM

After reading this thread, I was curious how my shotgun performed with buckshot. I have never shot a round of buckshot until last week. To start with, I just got what Walmart had. My shotgun is a Traditions ALS 2100 semi auto 12 gauge. It was incredible the difference the chokes made...

Winchester 3 inch 00 15 pellet (grey box)
Winchester 2 3/4 00 9 pellet
Remington 3 inch 00 15 pellet
Federal 2 3/4 inch 00 9 pellet

I shot at 12 inch splatter targets at 25 yards and then at 45 yards for each. Here are the best results I had with the best pattern choke used:

Win 3 inch: Modified choke. at 25 yards, 12 out of 15 in the target, at 45 yards 6 out of 15. I think this would be doable?

Win 2 3/4: modified choke. At 25 yards, 6 out of 9. At 45, 3 out of nine. No go for me.

Remington: Cylinder Choke. At 25, 6 out of 15 was the best I could get out of all my chokes. Run out before I could try at 45. My gun did not like these at all.

Federal 2 3/4: modified. At 25, 8 out of 9! But at 45, just 3 out of 9... Not good enough...

Out of these for me: I'd go with the win 3 inch 00.

Also, I'm going to order some win XX, federal flight control, and hornady self defense and try them next... Will post results.

This was a ton of fun! And... My shoulder is in agony...
Old 02-07-2017, 01:13 PM

Buckman18

You mentioned patterning with Federal 00B with out identifying the load.

Federal offers three different types of 00 buckshot loads:

- Power Shok:
Lead, buffered, plastic shot cup, conventional 3 per layer pellet stack.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/19...llets-box-of-5

- Premium Vital Shok:
Copper plated - high antimony lead, buffered, spiral - offset pellet layering for better patterns in full choke constrictions.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/63...llets-box-of-5

-Premium Vital Shock - with Flite Control Wad:
Copper plated, high antimony lead, buffered, spiral pellet stack, Flite-Control Wad providing tight patterns with less choke constriction.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/57...l-wad-box-of-5

I've only linked 3" versions here for reference.

The difference between the Power Shok and Vital Shok loads, in full choke shotguns, is often hard to believe.

The Vital Shok with Flite Control Wad, markedly tightens patterns from more open chokes, although some tighter chokes respond quite well also.

Some have even described Flite Control Buckshot as having "the choke built into the wad."
Old 02-07-2017, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .60 caliber buckshot View Post
Buckman18

You mentioned patterning with Federal 00B with out identifying the load.

Federal offers three different types of 00 buckshot loads:

- Power Shok:
Lead, buffered, plastic shot cup, conventional 3 per layer pellet stack.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/19...llets-box-of-5

- Premium Vital Shok:
Copper plated - high antimony lead, buffered, spiral - offset pellet layering for better patterns in full choke constrictions.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/63...llets-box-of-5

-Premium Vital Shock - with Flite Control Wad:
Copper plated, high antimony lead, buffered, spiral pellet stack, Flite-Control Wad providing tight patterns with less choke constriction.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/57...l-wad-box-of-5

I've only linked 3" versions here for reference.

The difference between the Power Shok and Vital Shok loads, in full choke shotguns, is often hard to believe.

The Vital Shok with Flite Control Wad, markedly tightens patterns from more open chokes, although some tighter chokes respond quite well also.

Some have even described Flite Control Buckshot as having "the choke built into the wad."
The federal I used was just the cheap power shok at Walmart. I'm going to get some of the better stuff and try it next.
Old 02-07-2017, 08:34 PM

If you're ordering it anyway, do yourself a favor and order some winchester 3" 000. They've always been great in guns I've patterned. I've heard the same thing about Remington 3" 000, but I've never tried it.
Old 02-08-2017, 08:41 PM

I think most of the 000 buckshot that I have shot alway's patterned better than 00buck.
Old 02-11-2017, 12:18 PM

10-4. 3 boxes of Rem 3 inch 000 on the way. Couldn't find Win 000.

What choke works best in y'all's gun with the 000? Is it safe to try full, or should I start with modified and work down toward cylinder?
Old 02-11-2017, 11:34 PM

Really like how that 3 inch remington 000 buck performed in my gun. Good luck with your testing.
Old 02-12-2017, 05:03 PM

I've always had best results with everything, including 000 with a full choke. I think the reason 000 shoots so well is because it's stacked 2x2. I don't know why that is, but I handload a 16 gauge 00 load stacked 2x2 that is bad. My wifes model 12 16ga will put all 10 00s in 12-13" at 40 yards.
Old 02-16-2017, 11:25 PM

I buy ammo locally, not order it online.
Do most gun shops or sporting goods stores have 000 buckshot?
I don't recall ever seeing anything bigger than 00.
Old 02-17-2017, 02:29 PM

000 is hard to find on the shelf; especially 3.5"
Old 02-19-2017, 02:21 PM

I have found 000 in 3" on the shelf of small shops, but usually have to order it. As far as I know, no one has ever made a 3.5" 000. I have played with handloading some. You can barely fit 14 000 in a roll crimped 3.5" shell. I have almost used up my stash of shells my gun likes. Gonna try to nail down a load (00 or 000) before I have to buy more.
Old 02-19-2017, 03:04 PM

The 000 performed much better out of my gun than the 00. I had all 10 of 10 pellets in a 6 inch area that I could cover with my hand at 30 yards. At 50 yards, had 6 out of 10 in a 12 inch area. This was with a factory full choke.

Next I'm gonna order some #1's and #4's and see how they do...