GON Magazine | GON Classifieds

Go Back   Georgia Outdoor News Forum > Deer and Small Game Hunting and Trail Cams > Deer Hunting

Old 11-14-2017, 10:02 AM
Default Up the tree at Panola mountain

Got in a tree before daylight not my tree I had picked out cause somebody else wanted to hunt where I had picked. Had to flash a couple people from walking in on me other than that all good started out with a big ol longbeard coming to me at daylight then seen 4 does and 2 bucks in a group but no shot on the does. 10 mins later a 125 inch 8 point walks by at 30 yards all I can do is watch. Still up the tree waiting on a doe to slip up.
Old 11-14-2017, 02:56 PM

Is it earn a buck again this year? Might go on that hunt next year. Have 7 points burning a hole lol
Old 11-14-2017, 03:17 PM

Yea it is earn a buck this year too. I've seen 14 so far today with no shots on does
Old 11-14-2017, 03:41 PM

I was supposed to be there this year but ended up not being able to make it. I was looking forward to this one for a while
Old 11-14-2017, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJfire75 View Post
Is it earn a buck again this year? Might go on that hunt next year. Have 7 points burning a hole lol
Theyíre talking about moving away from earn a buck next year.
Old 11-14-2017, 04:14 PM

I hope they do away with earn a buck
Old 11-14-2017, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssramage View Post
Theyíre talking about moving away from earn a buck next year.
Nice! I donít have any SPs anywhere near me so been saving points waiting on a new one of one to open back up thatís been closed a few years for the best chance at a couple deer. If Panola isnít overcrowded may put in for it
Old 11-14-2017, 08:04 PM

Is it earn a buck for the whole hunt? Normally its just the first day. I think.
Old 11-14-2017, 10:33 PM

They ought to do away with it and allow you to kill whatever I would have gone this year I’ve got about 7 or 8 points now
Old 11-14-2017, 10:41 PM

My buddy txt me early and said he shot a doe. I told him to sit tight and keep hunting, about 30 mins later he txt saying tagged out with a nice 8. He went to see about the doe and realized he missed her clean. Shot a sapling in front of her. He called the ranger and was told to consider himself tagged out. Said bring the buck in and checked then head home. Kinda crappy seeing it took him 7 years to get this hunt. Said he saw 10 deer this am and coulda killed a doe after he talked to the ranger but is too honest to do that. Said several folks were told the same thing this am.
Old 11-15-2017, 06:12 AM

There was a few people that shot does and couldn't find them
Old 11-15-2017, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter/Mason View Post
My buddy txt me early and said he shot a doe. I told him to sit tight and keep hunting, about 30 mins later he txt saying tagged out with a nice 8. He went to see about the doe and realized he missed her clean. Shot a sapling in front of her. He called the ranger and was told to consider himself tagged out. Said bring the buck in and checked then head home. Kinda crappy seeing it took him 7 years to get this hunt. Said he saw 10 deer this am and coulda killed a doe after he talked to the ranger but is too honest to do that. Said several folks were told the same thing this am.
I talked to your buddy yesterday. He was actually hunting pretty close to me. He seemed good with the park managers decision. His buck was pretty nice too!

The park manager, IMO, has done a great job with this hunt so far and has been pretty helpful/fair when issues come up.
Old 11-15-2017, 08:18 AM

This has been a good hunt so far. Had a guy walking around couldn't find his deer stand this morning at 640.
Old 11-15-2017, 08:45 AM

I had a shooter buck at 50yds at first light. Fog so thick I couldn’t find him in the scope...
Old 11-15-2017, 09:33 AM

Keep the updates coming. This one interests me for sure.
Old 11-15-2017, 10:03 AM

Dang I heard a shot over near your way. Only 2 shots on the whole place this morning. Deer are not moving I guess I haven't even seen a deer
Old 11-15-2017, 10:09 AM

I met most of y’all on this thread.Thanks tadpole for sharpening my knife.Anyways the park staff including gw and all volunteers has been second to none..exceptional!Friendly helpful and also positive attitudes.As far as having to go home with one buck and no doe I think that’s great bc atleast he didn’t get a ticket for
Not having doe in hand before he shot his buck.I met him also and he seemed fine with it as well.To truly make the earn a buck stick you should have to get your card punched THEN be able to shoot a buck.But again they didn’t want a bunch of crippled or lost deer and I guess they figured that instead of ppl kill all the does out/as long as effort was made they were good..idk..my son shot his doe at 7:10 in the am,I got mine at 8:21..we took them to the check station and I shot a 10 at dark..some other guys shot a 9..I wouldn’t say any of our deer are really that big and both were aged at 3.5yrs old.had a guy creep in on my son this am.he hasn’t seen a deer or heard a shot today.Dont forget the reason earn a buck was put in place..bc guys were passing all the does..with that in mind everyone’s attitude and they way they handle things could set the future of these hunts..just like the guys previous to us did..so be mindful
Old 11-15-2017, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tadpole23 View Post
Dang I heard a shot over near your way. Only 2 shots on the whole place this morning. Deer are not moving I guess I haven't even seen a deer
I just let a doe walk. She kept looking over her shoulder so I thought she may have company.

That fog saved a lot of deer this morning.
Old 11-15-2017, 10:11 AM
Administrator

Quote:
That's the way it was on the hunt's I went on there. Those deer get wise quick. The second day was always slower. Hence the reason they went to the doe first rule. Folks would keep passing on the first day waiting for a buck, then come the second day they wouldn't see a deer. Then the management objectives don't get met.
Old 11-15-2017, 10:17 AM

Only hunt I've ever been on that was more organized than this is the butler island duck hunt. Good thing is we don't have to do away with the scraps after we get done cleaning our deer. They take care of it
Old 11-15-2017, 10:17 AM

Quote:
This has been a good hunt so far. Had a guy walking around couldn't find his deer stand this morning at 640.
I walked my son to his stand on the top and went and pulled my stand on the bottom if that was me you saw..then you’d be the one moved in on my kid..but he was set at 6:15
Old 11-15-2017, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustin Pate View Post
That's the way it was on the hunt's I went on there. Those deer get wise quick. The second day was always slower. Hence the reason they went to the doe first rule. Folks would keep passing on the first day waiting for a buck, then come the second day they wouldn't see a deer. Then the management objectives don't get met.
Exactly..guys before us set this up for us..itís a management tool with a bonus of being able to get a chance at a good buck.not just a recreational hunt
Old 11-15-2017, 10:42 AM

This guy is setting in his stand probably 150 yards in front of me. It's the same guy that walked in on me yesterday at 1 in afternoon.
Old 11-15-2017, 03:36 PM

Back at it for the last afternoon. Moved my stand to the opposite side of the field I have been hunting. Hoping it pays off.
Old 11-15-2017, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssramage View Post
Back at it for the last afternoon. Moved my stand to the opposite side of the field I have been hunting. Hoping it pays off.
I'm sitting there......you a tall guy with a grey beard......wearing camo and an orange vest?