Go Back   Georgia Outdoor News Forum > Deer and Small Game Hunting and Trail Cams > Small Game Hunting


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02-04-2018, 08:12 AM
Khondker Khondker is offline
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Lawrenceville, GA
iTrader: (0) Check/Add Feedback
Default Question - squirrel food source

Went to squirrel hunt for the first time ever, went to Wilson Sholes WMA. It was a cold day and didn't see any squirrel. I was hunting where I saws lots of, lots of acorns and acorn shells on the ground, clear sign that they were feeding in that area.

I will go back again in August when the season open again.

Quick question : what is the food source to look for early season squirrel hunt?

Thanks in advance

------
__________________
GeorgiaCarry.Org Member
GeorgiaPacking.Org member
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 02-04-2018, 08:17 AM
Hillbilly stalker's Avatar
Hillbilly stalker Hillbilly stalker is offline
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Piedmont Sc
iTrader: (0) Check/Add Feedback
Default

Mite be what you saw was their winter supply they were cutting on. Most outside acorns around here are rotted. I find most of the squirrels around edges of thick smaller stuff. A few days of good warm sunshine will make the saplings start to bud out and the squirrels hit them hard. They are denned up pretty bad here nursing young ones. Evening hunts are a lot better than mornings here also. It will be better in a couple weeks tho.
__________________

Georgia Mules and country boys are fading fast away
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-04-2018, 12:36 PM
ryanh487's Avatar
ryanh487 ryanh487 is offline
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Kennesaw
iTrader: (0) Check/Add Feedback
Default

They'll also eat the nuts out of pinecones, so pine thickets are a good spot. Depending on what part of the state you're in you're also more likely to find fox squirrels in the pines.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-04-2018, 01:10 PM
NE GA Pappy's Avatar
NE GA Pappy NE GA Pappy is offline
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Toccoa, GA
iTrader: (0) Check/Add Feedback
Default

how were you hunting? sqwerls move at different times of the day. You may have been there when they were denning. also, it being a wet day, they sometimes curtail movement a bit.

in the fall hunt the boundary edges of pines and hardwoods. You will find them moving back and forth between the two type of forest. You might find them cutting poplars too in the fall.
__________________
"If it wasn't for the union, half of these worthless people wouldn't have a job."---Big Stephanie, 12/31/15 Buckfiddy Award Winner - Offishal Billy Strang Pusher
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-04-2018, 01:17 PM
greg_n_clayton greg_n_clayton is offline
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Clayton, Georgia
iTrader: (1) Check/Add Feedback
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanh487 View Post
They'll also eat the nuts out of pinecones, so pine thickets are a good spot. Depending on what part of the state you're in you're also more likely to find fox squirrels in the pines.
speaking of fox skwerls, I don't know that I have ever seen one in these parts !! Remember seeing my first one, at my aunt's house in the mountains of Tennessee, that thang looked like a house cat cutting in the tree tops !!
__________________
I don't think we get smarter with age !! I think we run out of stupid stuff to do !!
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-04-2018, 01:28 PM
NE GA Pappy's Avatar
NE GA Pappy NE GA Pappy is offline
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Toccoa, GA
iTrader: (0) Check/Add Feedback
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg_n_clayton View Post
speaking of fox skwerls, I don't know that I have ever seen one in these parts !! Remember seeing my first one, at my aunt's house in the mountains of Tennessee, that thang looked like a house cat cutting in the tree tops !!
the only places I see them is south of here, down around Redlands.
__________________
"If it wasn't for the union, half of these worthless people wouldn't have a job."---Big Stephanie, 12/31/15 Buckfiddy Award Winner - Offishal Billy Strang Pusher
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-04-2018, 04:35 PM
transfixer's Avatar
transfixer transfixer is offline
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Douglasville
iTrader: (0) Check/Add Feedback
Default

We've got a good population of fox squirrels on our lease in Oglethorpe county, close to the Wilkes county line.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02-04-2018, 04:45 PM
Khondker Khondker is offline
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Lawrenceville, GA
iTrader: (0) Check/Add Feedback
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NE GA Pappy View Post
how were you hunting? sqwerls move at different times of the day.
I was hunting around from noon till around 3:30 pm. Before that I went to the WMA shooting range to sight in my 22 LR rifle.

I have sighted the gun at 25 yards zero with Remington Golden, 36 grain.
__________________
GeorgiaCarry.Org Member
GeorgiaPacking.Org member
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02-04-2018, 06:01 PM
NE GA Pappy's Avatar
NE GA Pappy NE GA Pappy is offline
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Toccoa, GA
iTrader: (0) Check/Add Feedback
Default

how did you hunt? walking thru the woods ? dog? sitting still?
__________________
"If it wasn't for the union, half of these worthless people wouldn't have a job."---Big Stephanie, 12/31/15 Buckfiddy Award Winner - Offishal Billy Strang Pusher
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 02-04-2018, 06:21 PM
Khondker Khondker is offline
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Lawrenceville, GA
iTrader: (0) Check/Add Feedback
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NE GA Pappy View Post
how did you hunt? walking thru the woods ? dog? sitting still?
Sitting still under oak tree.

--
__________________
GeorgiaCarry.Org Member
GeorgiaPacking.Org member
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 02-04-2018, 07:55 PM
Killer Kyle's Avatar
Killer Kyle Killer Kyle is offline
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Banks Co. / N.E. GA Mountains
iTrader: (0) Check/Add Feedback
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khondker View Post
Went to squirrel hunt for the first time ever, went to Wilson Sholes WMA. It was a cold day and didn't see any squirrel. I was hunting where I saws lots of, lots of acorns and acorn shells on the ground, clear sign that they were feeding in that area.

I will go back again in August when the season open again.

Quick question : what is the food source to look for early season squirrel hunt?

Thanks in advance

------
Khondker, I hunt Wilson Shoals WMA for squirrels with fair regularity every year. The coldest days, or either cold and rainy days are always the slowest for me. I see very few on those days. I try to Target warmer days right at first light, and the last two and a half hours of daylight or so. Squirrels are mainly on the ground right now and eating on red oak acorns and buried nuts right now. You'll occasionally find caches in tree holes, in fallen logs, and under fallen logs. There's not a lot of method to my hunting. Sometimes I try to spot them way off and wait them out. Warm days after a rain make the leaves soft and quiet, and I can get around without being noticed as easily. On dry days when moving through the woods, you can get spotted fairly easily.
Try and target those warmer days. If we have temps on up into the mid 50's or warmer, that usually makes a good day.
I was squirrel hunting there a couple weeks ago, and picked up 31 shotgun shells (12 ga and 20 ga) where I was hunting. I can say with fair certainty that there's been a number of squirrels killed there.
Deer hunting there ends in November, I believe, and you'll do best there this fall right when deer season ends. Acorns will be much more fresh. Early season before the archery opener, they'll be going crazy on both the red oaks and the white oaks, and on the hickories. September is a really fun time to hunt them there, and is probably the best time. They have a late archery opener that usually opens around the beginning of October, so I'd be there in September hunting squirrels.
I always make the mistake of hunting bears, deer, and hogs in the fall, and putting off squirrel hunting until deer season closes. By then, it's cold, the woods are open, and it's much more difficult to hunt. I am resolving to do more early season squirrel hunts this year. I live near Wilson Shoals. If you ever want to team up this year, now or later in the fall, I'd be glad to have you come along with me to team up.
__________________
If you're gonna be dumb, you better be tough!
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 02-04-2018, 08:10 PM
Khondker Khondker is offline
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Lawrenceville, GA
iTrader: (0) Check/Add Feedback
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer Kyle View Post
Khondker, I hunt Wilson Shoals WMA for squirrels with fair regularity every year. The coldest days, or either cold and rainy days are always the slowest for me. I see very few on those days. I try to Target warmer days right at first light, and the last two and a half hours of daylight or so. Squirrels are mainly on the ground right now and eating on red oak acorns and buried nuts right now. You'll occasionally find caches in tree holes, in fallen logs, and under fallen logs. There's not a lot of method to my hunting. Sometimes I try to spot them way off and wait them out. Warm days after a rain make the leaves soft and quiet, and I can get around without being noticed as easily. On dry days when moving through the woods, you can get spotted fairly easily.
Try and target those warmer days. If we have temps on up into the mid 50's or warmer, that usually makes a good day.
I was squirrel hunting there a couple weeks ago, and picked up 31 shotgun shells (12 ga and 20 ga) where I was hunting. I can say with fair certainty that there's been a number of squirrels killed there.
Deer hunting there ends in November, I believe, and you'll do best there this fall right when deer season ends. Acorns will be much more fresh. Early season before the archery opener, they'll be going crazy on both the red oaks and the white oaks, and on the hickories. September is a really fun time to hunt them there, and is probably the best time. They have a late archery opener that usually opens around the beginning of October, so I'd be there in September hunting squirrels.
I always make the mistake of hunting bears, deer, and hogs in the fall, and putting off squirrel hunting until deer season closes. By then, it's cold, the woods are open, and it's much more difficult to hunt. I am resolving to do more early season squirrel hunts this year. I live near Wilson Shoals. If you ever want to team up this year, now or later in the fall, I'd be glad to have you come along with me to team up.
Thanks a lot, I sure will give you a buzz this fall.
__________________
GeorgiaCarry.Org Member
GeorgiaPacking.Org member
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 02-04-2018, 08:27 PM
NE GA Pappy's Avatar
NE GA Pappy NE GA Pappy is offline
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Toccoa, GA
iTrader: (0) Check/Add Feedback
Default

this sounds crazy, but it works if you been sitting a while and nothing is happening..

__________________
"If it wasn't for the union, half of these worthless people wouldn't have a job."---Big Stephanie, 12/31/15 Buckfiddy Award Winner - Offishal Billy Strang Pusher
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 02-04-2018, 09:05 PM
Khondker Khondker is offline
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Lawrenceville, GA
iTrader: (0) Check/Add Feedback
Default

Thanks a lot NE GA Pappy for that great video.
__________________
GeorgiaCarry.Org Member
GeorgiaPacking.Org member
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 02-13-2018, 09:25 AM
j_seph's Avatar
j_seph j_seph is offline
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: JawGa
iTrader: (3) Check/Add Feedback
Default

Di you go in early morning or late evening and have a sit or did you go later morning and mostly walk around? I see more by going just like deer hunting and sitting for awhile watching and listening.
__________________
Where will you be sitting in eternity?
Smoking or non-smoking?
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:09 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004 Georgia Outdoor News, Inc.Ad Management by RedTyger