GON Magazine | GON Classifieds

Go Back   Georgia Outdoor News Forum > Archery and Primitive Skills > Bowhunting
Notices

Old 02-13-2018, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowArrow View Post
I turned 80 Jan. 18 and bow hunted several times a week. Hunt by myself which I know is not good but got to go. I also climb 20 feet up in my Summit. I tell the lady I date the general area I will be hunting and tell her if she has not heard from me in 3 or 4 days to come looking. Have bow hunted since 1966 and know I do not have many years left in me but will go until I can not draw my PSE. I do some extreme exercising which helps. Did 97 push ups on my 80 birthday although I did not do any during deer season. Got to get back in shape. Also have started hog hunting at Fort Stewart and sometimes camp at the FS campground.
That's amazing, Congratulations.
Old 02-13-2018, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowArrow View Post
I turned 80 Jan. 18 and bow hunted several times a week. Hunt by myself which I know is not good but got to go. I also climb 20 feet up in my Summit. I tell the lady I date the general area I will be hunting and tell her if she has not heard from me in 3 or 4 days to come looking. Have bow hunted since 1966 and know I do not have many years left in me but will go until I can not draw my PSE. I do some extreme exercising which helps. Did 97 push ups on my 80 birthday although I did not do any during deer season. Got to get back in shape. Also have started hog hunting at Fort Stewart and sometimes camp at the FS campground.
I hope you can revisit this thread in 20 years and say you're still at it.

I wish I had listened to my elders 40 years ago when they tried to tell me hands weren't meant to be hammers.
Old 02-13-2018, 09:13 PM

I'll be 70 next birthday. Swim long distance 3 times a week. Work out with weights 3 times a week. As long as that slight tear in my rotator doesn't get any worse I'll still bow hunt by myself in my climber
Old 02-13-2018, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOTNKSNEMOR View Post
Thanks for the thoughts guys.

Here's what my end looked like:
You can still tune bows and shoot a cross bow and that elbow strap my work
Your not done yet
Old 02-14-2018, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Permitchaser View Post
I'll be 70 next birthday. Swim long distance 3 times a week. Work out with weights 3 times a week. As long as that slight tear in my rotator doesn't get any worse I'll still bow hunt by myself in my climber
Congrats, I'm trying to get motivated to get in more exercise & drop about 10 lbs. but I keep dropping by Paymaster's Cafe & it ain't easy.
Old 02-14-2018, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtroad Johnson View Post
Congrats, I'm trying to get motivated to get in more exercise & drop about 10 lbs. but I keep dropping by Paymaster's Cafe & it ain't easy.
When I first got back to swimming over 10 years ago. I couldn't swim 25 yards without resting for 15 minutes. Now I get bored I can swim so far without getting tired
I started free weights when I was 45 to help with bone density
Start small and work your way up
Or get the book Zero Belly Smoothie. If you do what he says you'll lose 10 in a few weeks
Good luck
Old 02-15-2018, 06:25 PM

I am in the low pound club now too. Until 2014 I was shooting 60 62 pounds. I had pretty invasive surgery that removed most of my lower jaw. After about four months at home I tried to draw @ 58 pounds and it may as well of been 200 pounds. I could almost pull 30 pounds and worked my way up to 54 pounds. I can't ever see any reason to shoot more than this in my life. My wife shoots 43 pounds and I can't imagine there's anything on this continent she couldn't kill with her set up.