; ATV vs. 4WD Truck - Page 2 - Georgia Outdoor News Forum

GON Magazine | GON Classifieds

Go Back   Georgia Outdoor News Forum > Deer and Small Game Hunting and Trail Cams > General Hunting

Old 10-13-2016, 04:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCHillbilly View Post
There is nothing on earth more useless than a 2WD truck.
amen!

I love my old 4x4 truck and old 4x4 atv!
Old 10-13-2016, 09:06 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp hunter View Post
An extra 4x4 Truck sitting In the yard waiting for Season still costs $600 a year insurance and Tags ect.
An ATV is..like free.
I have all 3, a Polaris 450 , A Polaris Ranger and an 84 CJ 7.
I like the Jeep best but it never leaves the Lease.
Coffee cup holders , wipers , heater , windshield , removable doors, big tires.
No Tags or insurance.
I drive my 4wd truck 80 miles a day every day, it doesn't sit in the yard. Don't want anything else. Around here you need 4wd on the highway nearly half the year, too, unless you like sliding all over the place and doing unintentional donuts and not being able to get up hills.
Old 10-13-2016, 11:30 AM

You come down south and run some hounds with a 2wd and u may spend most your day in the ditch waiting till the race is over. mine gets used religiously during deer season
Old 10-14-2016, 07:03 AM

Last couple of clubs I've been in you would be hunting less than 30% the land if you only had a truck. I don't care if it's a 4wd truck or not it's too wide to get down the trails. If there is no trail you can usually ride down enough stuff to make one. I've had new 4wd drive trucks and I never used it much, I use the atv 4wd all the time but then again I'm some where you can't get with a truck anyway. I might as well add that you can get a atv 4wd stuck pretty quick too if you ain't careful.
Old 10-14-2016, 08:09 AM

A lot of guys have "an old beater" 4x4 for hunting trips.

I used to. But that was when my hunting spot was 45 minutes from where I lived. I don't mind taking that short of a drive in an ugly beater with no A/C and a radio that plays more static than music.

If I had to drive 150 miles to my hunting club, I don't think I'd be making that long of a trip in a 20+ year old 4x4 with a lot of miles on its drivetrain, and putting up with the low gas mileage and lack of creature comforts on the ride to and from the woods.

For that long trip, I'd rather have a nice vehicle, 2WD, modern, in good running shape, towing a trailer with an ATV.

P.S. Car insurance rates in Georgia are among the highest in the USA. And the "multi-car" discount with State Farm isn't worth much. It's crazy expensive to have a second registered and insured motor vehicle that you hardly ever use.
Old 10-14-2016, 07:57 PM

Matter of opinion I guess had 2wheel when younger got a 4 wheel drive and swore never would go back. Got a f-350 dually 4 wheel a 97 Jeep Wrangler 4wh and a Yamaha Big Bear 4wh and I use all of them every week the Jeep is used almost daily and takes me in the woods the 4 Yamaha takes me deep in the woods and hauls critters out to the Jeep and used around the house the dually hauls my tractor and stuff around. I think your best option is get a 4wheeler put it in the bed of truck and go with it
Old 10-17-2016, 09:04 AM

In my opinion, an ATV is hard to beat-if one is allowed where you hunt.
Old 10-30-2016, 10:13 AM

I would just get a four wheeler and be done with it. If you shoot a deer back in the woods it may be too thick to maneuver your truck back there but a four wheeler usually won't have a problem
Old 02-03-2017, 11:39 AM
Default Both

I like the idea of having both.
Old 02-03-2017, 11:44 AM

Little late, but thanks for everybody's opinions! Ended up going with both a 4WD truck and Honda Rancher. Too broke for anything but hunting after that!
Old 02-03-2017, 02:49 PM

Good on you! You only go around once, might as well enjoy the ride(s)!!
Old 02-04-2017, 04:03 PM

A truck/jeep is worthless for dragging a deer out of the deep woods. A small to mid size 4 wheeler will go through almost anything, vegetation wise. Larger wheelers can be more difficult to maneuver in the woods, but still beat a truck.
Old 02-05-2017, 09:15 AM

Our club has gone to golf carts with lift kits and large tires. Amazing where these things will go. True, four wheelers will go places a cart can't, we have a couple for those chores. Electric carts are quiet and can haul heavy loads.
Attached Images

Old 02-05-2017, 09:24 AM

Our hunting area is mostly swamp, as long as the cart motor doesn't go underwater, we're good.
Attached Images

Old 04-12-2017, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son View Post
Our hunting area is mostly swamp, as long as the cart motor doesn't go underwater, we're good.
That is very cool.
Old 04-15-2017, 10:44 PM

I like the electric golf cart idea but do most clubs have electricity for charging?
Old 04-15-2017, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miguel Cervantes View Post
Got some friends over in Bama that buy used Suzuki Samurai's and use them around camp. They're about as small as some of the bigger ATV's and they are weather proof and have heat. Will go about anywhere an atv will. Plus a used Samurai is about $4k cheaper than a new ATV.
I was wondering if anyone was going to mention those things. I think most hunters just leave them at the hunt club instead of buying a tag and insurance as you suggested.

Some of those Samurai's are expensive with all of the mods. They make rock climber our of them too.

I just saw one of those Samurai's at the store. It was made into a hunting off road buggy. It was one of those with the half removable top. It was camouflaged, had big knobby tires, a nice winch, and a roll cage. It had a piece of pipe welded to the front bumper to from an angled extension. I guess for someone else to pull it out if it gets stuck. It had nice seats in it.
The seats, winch, and tires looked like they were worth more than the vehicle.

Last edited by Artfuldodger; 04-16-2017 at 02:22 PM.
Old 05-02-2017, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biker13 View Post
Get a Honda Rancher,all you will ever need.
What he said
Old 05-03-2017, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son View Post
Our club has gone to golf carts with lift kits and large tires. Amazing where these things will go. True, four wheelers will go places a cart can't, we have a couple for those chores. Electric carts are quiet and can haul heavy loads.
I just bought a 48volt cart a couple weeks ago, with new batteries fully charged the cart should have plenty of power for a two to three day weekend of hunting, unless you do a lot of joyriding. I'm loving the one I bought, its going to be my " stealth " hunting vehicle ,,, lol
Old 05-14-2017, 01:53 PM

[quote=Darkhorse;10393682]I will add this from years of experience; "There is nothing more useless than a 4WD truck with street tires and no winch."

Amen. A 4x4 without a winch will get one stuck farther away from asphalt than a 2WD without a winch. I learned this the hard way. I now have a Warn winch on the Warn hitch cradle kit, 10K lbs. capacity, 100' of Spyderwire rope and a 4x4 Sequoia wired for front and back 2" receivers.
I don't have aggressive mud tires, but with the winch, I get along without them. Gil
Old 12-07-2017, 10:13 AM
Top Chef

Back when I was in hunting clubs and leases I spent the money on utility trailers and ATV's.

Simplified things.

Public land and buddy's spots. Trailer and ATV were sold off years ago and I have room in my garage once again for other other stuff.

That being said....I'll always have a 4WD truck.

Drove home this morning from work.

12 miles of rolling hill interstate and 10 more miles of stop & go stoplights and neighborhoods to reach my house.

Not too shabby for a 4x4 that is my daily driver:

Old 02-11-2018, 09:47 PM
Default Trailer ATV

I vote for the ATV and a trailer, to be towed behind your 2WD daily driving truck.

A 4x4 ATV is easier to drive though woods, narrow paths and fire breaks, and won’t get stuck in mud as easily as a 3500-lb. truck or SUV.

If you need to carry a lot of gear, consider one of those 4 -WD off road vehicles like the Gator that have a cargo bed.

Using a 4WD as your daily driving vehicle will cost you several hundred dollars in wasted gas, if you drive a lot. Long term repair costs are higher too.
Old 02-11-2018, 09:52 PM

late 90's Cherokee jeeps are cheap, keep you warm and will go most anywhere you want to go. and that 4.0 inline 6 is doggone near bulletproof
Old 02-13-2018, 12:37 PM

I'm with Son on this one. Electric golf cart's are no joke. Good batt's, lifted with some tires, they go places like steep hills (except deep water) and haul any critter in the South like you wouldn't believe and still last all day on a charge and all you hear is the sound of leaves and sticks crunching under the tires and no smoke either.
Old 02-13-2018, 07:46 PM

I've hunted using swamp buggies, 3/4 ton 4/4's, ATV's and Mid size 4 x 4's. If you don't have deep water, a lifted golf cart will do most anything you want. I've added thin plywood front and back to help protect me from rain, and to help hide me if i want to wrap the cart with camo and use it for a blind. Comfortable, room for all your gear. For a small ice chest for food and drinks and had a roof over your head.
Attached Images