GON Magazine | GON Classifieds

Go Back   Georgia Outdoor News Forum > Woody's Campfire Talk > On Topic -- Questions and Answers
Notices

Old 11-19-2017, 07:48 PM
Default Medical questions-Stitches being removed, time to close up

I've got stitches in my hand that I'm going to take out Tuesday evening. How many days until the holes close up to keep the bad stuff out? I use gloves to dress deer, but there is still the risk of a puncture in them and some blood will seep in. Should they be closed up pretty good by Saturday if covered with a bandaid?
Old 11-19-2017, 08:03 PM

If concerned about disease transmission wear latex gloves. Also do your tick prevention.

As to how long? Depends how fast you heal. How healed are you when stitches removed.

Any fresh skin that is tender is easier for pathogens to penetrate, even if technically healed.
Old 11-19-2017, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOYDB View Post
If concerned about disease transmission wear latex gloves. Also do your tick prevention.

As to how long? Depends how fast you heal. How healed are you when stitches removed.

Any fresh skin that is tender is easier for pathogens to penetrate, even if technically healed.
yeah I've had a gazillion stitches. Latex gloves are dirt cheap. You can get thin ones real cheap (like a ten pack) or even thicker gloves (like Playtex Living gloves) for dish washing will keep you safe.
Old 11-19-2017, 10:54 PM

Just picked up a 100 pack, and iirc, they are well under $20 and many office supply stores either have them or can order them in various sizes.

Ripped my hand the other morning, and had to clean the shotgun later in the day. 2 gloves ripped, but they're cheap enough to use a fresh one.

They'll work well on hogs and deer too. And as someone said, you can get playtex style too. More resilient for opening rib cages and bones that could rip the cheapies.
Old 11-20-2017, 01:02 AM

You can buy some pretty sturdy latex gloves at most auto parts stores as well
Old 11-20-2017, 06:58 PM

I always use gloves, but I guess I'm more concerned about the fact that they either get cut or what may run down from the wrist if I don't notice it right away. Thought a nurse or someone may know if the skin closes over the holes in X amount of days to where I shouldn't be paranoid and worry about it. My guess is a week. Google is no good for some things when there is too much info out ther.
Old 11-20-2017, 07:04 PM

FWIW... you don't want latex gloves. They are more fragile and some are allergic to them. What you want is nitrile gloves. At least a 4 or 6mil thick.

some of the newer styles have raised ridges and make holding knives and such much easier when they are covered in blood or water.
Old 11-20-2017, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NE GA Pappy View Post
FWIW... you don't want latex gloves. They are more fragile and some are allergic to them. What you want is nitrile gloves. At least a 4 or 6mil thick.

some of the newer styles have raised ridges and make holding knives and such much easier when they are covered in blood or water.
This right here. I've got some of the black Venom brand from Lowes and I like them. Also with your wound, you might wrap your wrist with duct tape to make sure nothing leaks down.
Old 11-22-2017, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbzdually View Post
This right here. I've got some of the black Venom brand from Lowes and I like them. Also with your wound, you might wrap your wrist with duct tape to make sure nothing leaks down.
THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^^^Best gloves I ever bought.
Also put antibiotic cream over the wounds. Wash frequently.