GON Magazine | GON Classifieds

Go Back   Georgia Outdoor News Forum > Deer and Small Game Hunting and Trail Cams > Deer Hunting
Notices

Old 11-20-2017, 12:13 AM
Default Lack of Bucks

I have had a good season 1 nice 8 and 1 doe so I am not complaining. I have just noticed lately guys posting pictures on facebook and other places of more than 2 bucks I know of guys that have shot 5 or 6 to me it's stupid. These will be the first to whine about not seeing any good bucks next year.
Old 11-20-2017, 02:25 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonecollector123 View Post
I have had a good season 1 nice 8 and 1 doe so I am not complaining. I have just noticed lately guys posting pictures on facebook and other places of more than 2 bucks I know of guys that have shot 5 or 6 to me it's stupid. These will be the first to whine about not seeing any good bucks next year.
You can legally kill more than two bucks by hunting the quota and WMA hunts, and some folks are like me and hunt more than one state. People killing more bucks don't affect the future buck population nearly as much as people shooting a bunch of does anyway. This is the first year in many, many years that most of SC has had any limit at all on antlered bucks (you could kill 100 a year if you wanted,) and they have had no shortage of bucks at all. Same with the rest of the state with a five-buck limit. I see way more nice bucks in the five-buck limit section of SC than I do here where we have a two-buck limit and a three-week rifle season.

Killing too many does is what affects the future hunting for both bucks and does. Places where people shoot too many does, there are no bucks much of any size in a few years.
Old 11-20-2017, 07:14 PM

I get that for the most part it don't effect the numbers. I hunt in Telfair and the guys I have seen are close to me on private land. I guess it's non of my business what other people do but it still aggravates me to know they are not following the rules.