GON Magazine | GON Classifieds

Go Back   Georgia Outdoor News Forum > Deer and Small Game Hunting and Trail Cams > Deer Hunting

Old 11-05-2007, 11:51 AM

I woulda had my tailgate down fo sho! Me and Cuz were just talking about how people used to ride with them strap to the hood!
Old 11-05-2007, 11:59 AM

This is not a big deal to me , if you want to cover it up thats fine but I am not gonna take the extra time to cover mine up after all the hard work put into getting the deer .
Old 11-05-2007, 01:35 PM

I see both sides, The only reason Id cover it is if I had to go a long distance with it on the hitch carrier, road grime ect...but if I kill one locally its goin on the carrier right to the house! Sorry, the anti, ok, NON hunters can look away, either way its gonna be dammed if ya do and dammed if you dont...so lets just say it was a good buck!
Old 11-05-2007, 02:07 PM

i see both sides but people in general are stuck in their ways if i cover my deer or not ain't gonna change their minds one way or the other and this kind of nonsense is the problem in this country everyone is afraid of offending someone thats why this is no longer america it,s the united states there's a differance, i don't push what i believe on anyone and but i'm not gonna let them determine how i will live my life either and by the way at this rate hunting will be gone soon enough and it won't have anything to do with covering a dead deer.
and by the way i can't spell but you might want to learn if your gonna come on here like your holier than thou.
Old 11-05-2007, 03:01 PM

Ya'll do realize that the hunting community is a minority of the general population don't you. So are the freaks from PETA, ALF, and all of those other wacko organizations.

The majority of the general population is non hunters. These non hunters voted for our right to hunt and fish just this past November. Remember that! Many of us were worried how the vote might turn out. The vote was very lopsided with the non hunters pushing the bill through for us.

All I am saying is think about it. There are things out there that you may not have a strong opinion on either, but maybe your opinion could be swayed if you saw something you disagreed with or were offended by. If you don't feel like you should cover the animal or close the tailgate that's fine. Don't do it! I'm not trying to preach to anybody just wanting people to have an open mind about it.

I can honestly say that I do see a big difference in a person hauling the animal down a county road in rural Georgia a couple of miles and a person hauling the animal down a split median 4-lane highway in metro Atlanta.

I just wanted you to know that there are people out there that support your right to hunt that have never taken an animal's life and never will. They've never fired a gun and probably never will. Don't give them a reason to change their mind the next time a vote comes around. Just think about it.
Old 11-05-2007, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dchfm123 View Post
I guess I am just one of the few who have enough class to beconsiderate of other people, and intelligence toknow whats good and what is bad for our sport. If the right person saw that deer, it would make the evening news and the story would not be pro hunting. We would get bashed and all that would be talked about it the bad aspects of the sport.
You need to get off your high horse and check out this website...
http://www.spellcheck.net/
Old 11-05-2007, 03:23 PM

only thing better would be if it were in the back of a truck with the tailgate closed and the rack was so big you could still see it sticking out the top...

I don't go out of my way to show off my kills to the general public, but I also don't go out of my way to hide them.
Old 11-05-2007, 03:40 PM

guys i hate peta as much as anybody, but just seeing us on the roads with our four wheelers and deer stands is enough to show that we're not goung to stop hunting. its the middle of the fencers that im concerned about. we neen to keep them on our side. just because they dont hunt doesnt mean they dont understend the need. this "in your face" passage of riding a uncovered deer down the interstate is going to hurt in the long run. i like to show of my trophy " when i kill one" to my buddies as much as the next guy, but doing it on the open road isnt the way. to me its a total lack of respect for the non hunting community.

okay now you can boot me, but this is just my opinion.
Old 11-05-2007, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruz View Post
Start covering it up and THEY win.

We hunt, It's Legal, It's Tradition.......They can live with it.
Old 11-05-2007, 05:15 PM

"It's just about respect for other people who don't want to see it."

...and for those that do?
If we and the freaks are in the minority, how you can you draw the line for those in the middle? How do you know what their reaction is?
Why can you make the assumption for them that They don't want to see it?
Why do you assume the position that they will reject it?

I think the only thing that should have been covered w/ a tarp is that hummer
Old 11-05-2007, 05:20 PM

nice hummer buck
Old 11-05-2007, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaweaver View Post
"It's just about respect for other people who don't want to see it."

...and for those that do?
If we and the freaks are in the minority, how you can you draw the line for those in the middle? How do you know what their reaction is?
Why can you make the assumption for them that They don't want to see it?
Why do you assume the position that they will reject it?

I think the only thing that should have been covered w/ a tarp is that hummer

It's not "If" we and the freaks are in the minority, we are. I honestly don't know what their reaction is, nor do you. But, I don't think it's a far fetched assumption to think that the majority of non hunters would rather not see a dead animal tied to a hitch hauler going down Highway 78 in Metro Atlanta or any other high traffic area for that matter.

I will concede that the picture in question is done as tastefully as possible (i.e stomach turned toward back of vehicle if it is field dressed) but I have seen many that weren't.

I have 8 ladies that work in my office. Only one of them has a husband that hunts and all of them are non hunters, with none of them being anti hunting. I have shown them pics of deer I have killed over the years and they want to see the pictures, but I guess they expect to see something other than a deer with blood and his tongue hanging out, because most of them say "yuck" or "gross" even thought they want to see the picture. I can assure you that if they saw a deer riding down the highway like some that I have seen in the past they would have the same reaction that they do to my pictures.

These are the type people I am referring too. They know I love to hunt and they support my right to do so, but they just don't understand all the blood and guts stuff that goes along with taking an animal's life. We have to have these people support us to keep the "traditions" of our parents and grandparents for our kids and their kids.

I promise you there are people like that in every city in Georgia. I constantly hear stuff about people being scared of our hunting rights and how we are going to be able to keep them. These are the people that you don't want to turn off because the time could come that they could vote against our rights.

I agree with you on covering the Hummer by the way
Old 11-05-2007, 05:47 PM

I agree that it should be covered up. It has nothing with being ashamed or caving to the "politically correct" opinion. There are alot of things that I'm sure that we are not ashamed of - c'mon fellas, you know in a perfect world our day to day would be alot different....

But out of respect for others we do things like not burp (or donkeydonkeydonkeydonkey) loudly in public, curse in front of women, talk about what goes on behind closed doors, discuss how people look out loud...

These are things that we aren't ashamed of and when we're in the right situation, say, around the campfire, we do them. But in some cases we have to censor what we do, that's just the gentlemanly thing to do.
Old 11-05-2007, 05:51 PM

Back before some started covering up their kills and acting like they had done something wrong this discussion would have never taken place.

Every step we take back antis take one forward and another piece of our heritage is lost forever.
Old 11-05-2007, 05:54 PM

you know i never hear about one of those peta people covering the rainbow bumper sticker on the back or thier honda. seems to me there are a lot more offensive things that arent covered than a nice trophy buck. how bout covering up the drug dealer on the street corner, i find that offensive. i'm betting that person wasnt trying to offend anyone they were just trying to transport the deer. by the way nice picture thanks for sharing
Old 11-05-2007, 05:57 PM

I'm fighting a battle I can't win, ain't I.
Old 11-05-2007, 06:00 PM

I had the exact same philosophy for years. I am just tired of being PC with everything. It's just gotten old and Georgians proved that they support hunting by a vast majority. Here you go......

I eat MEAT
I HUNT
I PRAY
I fly my REAL Georgia Flag
I discipline my KIDS
I own GUNS

This is Georgia and NOT CT,CA or MA. If you want to live like that MOVE. Maybe we NEED to make all of these transplants and foreigners uncomfortable like in the old days........Maybe we could then get Georgia back on track. Just my $.02

Robert
Old 11-05-2007, 06:16 PM

i wouldn't cover it up either....to set the record straight they will NEVER take the hunters out of the woods in GA...there's way too much revenue tied up in hunting in GA.....plus if we stopped hunting in GA the insurance claims would skyrocket from people hitting deer on the roads....wouldn't it be ironic if the PETA president hit a deer on the highway and died......and i don't know about yall but i will always have a gun and i will always hunt till they put me in the ground....JMHO....
Old 11-05-2007, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bull0ne View Post
Dude...........you misspelled intelligence
That cracks me up
Old 11-05-2007, 06:48 PM

I will solve all of these arguments right now.......... Cover up everything except the BONE!!!!!! That way we all know what you have under the tarp just by seeing the Rack. I will not say either way what I would do with a beautiful buck like that when transporting it but you can bet I wouldnt be ashamed nor would I worry about other people and there PC attitude. We as hunters do need to be considerate of others however when was the last time the anti's were considerate of our feelings. Those of you who want to cover it up do so and those that dont well...... Dont!!!! Now stop the bickering and go kill a deer or hog or whatever you choose to hunt legally and dont pass judgement on other hunters for doing things that ARE legal just because you disagree with it. Just my .02

Rodney
Old 11-05-2007, 07:22 PM
Default OPINION

[quote=hookedonbass;1566815] Remember, we are the minority in this battle. Our rights hinge on the support of the non hunters. QUOTE]

In all due respect, we are not the "minority" we are sadly enough the "silent" majority. In this case silence is our worst enemy. I'm tired of watching people pacify the loud mouthed, mis-informed tree huggin' minorities. 9 times outta 10 it's the non & anti hunters who are first in line when KFC opens.The only reason I close my tail gate is so my food don't fall out. Thanks for sharing the photo & I hoped you honked and gave them the thumbs up.
Old 11-05-2007, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bull0ne View Post
Dude...........you misspelled intelligence
He misspelled a bunch of words .
Old 11-05-2007, 07:38 PM
Default Cover it up

Great deer, however, I gotta agree with hookedonbass, whiskey 33, puredrenalin, and others on this one. It's not an issue of being "ashamed" or "embarrassed." It's courtesy to folks who don't care to see it, kids who might not understand it (and now turn against hunters since Mom canít or wonít explain), and for the meat (it ainít doing it much good, either). I'm proud of my kills and show them off to whoever cares to see it, but just as GON doesn't put bloody or tongue-hanging-out photos on its cover; it's not great "marketing" for our sport. I think we are all ambassadors of the sport and I am sorry some folks can't see the impact Mr. Yellow Hummer has on our great tradition and sport.
Curtis
Old 11-05-2007, 07:57 PM

Wonder how someone would feel pulling out of yellow river and seeing that just after they spent an hour hand feeding a bunch of deer.
It was wrong place/ wrong time but hey with no truck or trailer what else was he gonna do?
Old 11-05-2007, 08:45 PM

Hook, you may be fighting a losing battle, but I agree with you.

There is a difference between a non-hunter and an anti-hunter. We will never sway the anti-hunters to become pro-hunters, and they will never sway pro-hunters to become anti-hunters. It is like a political campaign. Rep. and Dem. don't campaign to get votes from the other party or their own party. They campaign to get the votes of the people in the middle (non-hunters in this case).