GON Magazine | GON Classifieds

Go Back   Georgia Outdoor News Forum > Deer and Small Game Hunting and Trail Cams > Deer Hunting

Old 05-25-2009, 06:10 PM

my dad said they released several on out place from WI. i know 2 were killed--a big 20" 10 pt and a big 9 that resides on our wall.
thanks for sharing the info
Old 01-12-2012, 12:54 PM

Just discovered this
Old 01-13-2012, 07:50 PM
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmharris23 View Post
What is now my driveway is where they put out the deer in Pike County. I think thats pretty cool!
That is cool .... I killed my first deer in Molena when I was a teenager .......

Lots of good stuff in this thread !

BUMP
Old 01-13-2012, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by parksbobby View Post
I've never researched this person myself, but where i grew up in s. ga. crisp/dooly co. area Holt Walton was a big name in the private relocating of wisc. deer into ga. anyone ever heard of this person?
Holt Walton had a very big impact on the restocking deer around here and his family still own a large piece of land almost 10000 acres out hwy 257 in between crips and dooly co I hear his name still mention around cordele all the time and I also know Sevreal people that hunts his old land
Old 04-02-2012, 10:13 AM

Good thread, thanks for sharing,that's interesting. My land is 5 miles south of Abbeville & I did not know that Wisconsin deer were released in that paticular area, however I have heard all through the years that Wisconsin deer were released in a lot of counties in this area.
Old 04-02-2012, 11:11 AM

Awesome
Old 11-13-2012, 02:19 PM

Great post!! Lots of good info!

This may be a stupid question but why were deer "restocked" in Georgia? Were they plentiful in times past but lost due to disease, pestilence, or over-hunting?

Both of my parents were born in the 30s and raised on south Georgia farms. When I asked them about deer populations when they were young, both said that they rarely ever saw deer. They also said that their fathers rarely killed any for food, and they were poor and needed the meat.

I do remember hunting in south Georgia in the early seventies and deer were much more rare then than they are today.
Old 11-17-2012, 09:01 PM

TOORED,

subsistence hunting and market hunting primarily.

T
Old 11-22-2012, 09:20 PM

Hard to believe that there were NO deer in this state 100 years ago...I wonder what role the extinction of the American Chestnut played in the extirpation of deer from Georgia. Some are trying to bring them back.
Old 12-14-2012, 01:11 PM

Interesting to see how many deer were brought in from TX.
I had been told that a lot of deer brought into Georgia came from Virginia but that information was obviously bogus.
Old 01-30-2013, 01:54 PM

Very Cool thanks for the link.
Old 08-15-2013, 03:03 PM

I just saw this thread. It's Great BTW. I had the pleasure of getting to know Mr. Whittington. Great Man, unbelievable outdoorsman. He never sat in a deerstand. And according to him he has some Giant horns...He was our caretaker at our club in Crawford county. he walked our lease many times and gave us detailed instruction on browse line and how many does needed killing. We shared many conversations and i learned alot about the restocking from him directly. Yes there were great numbers restocked privately. Usually still had the DNR's help just no real records were kept. I'm lucky to live in a county that had both Texas and WI strain placed. There here just dang hard to find...
Old 09-26-2013, 03:57 PM

I noticed that neither Columbia nor Lincoln counties are listed, but I guess the deer from Clarks Hill WMA must've increased and migrated over in the early '60s. When I started deer hunting in 1964, I had never met nor heard of another deer hunter in my part of Georgia. I had never even seen a deer, just some sign, so I knew they were around. I killed the first wild deer I ever saw, a nice little 8 point buck, whose head is in my office at home. November 5, 1966 at 2:05 pm, 45 yards through heart shot from shotgun slug. Hehehe, I was a bit lucky, eh? Senior in high school. Then, went to Vietnam returned, and everybody and his brother was deer hunting! I felt as if I had lost my secret! Oh well, man, those were the days!
Old 11-23-2013, 11:10 PM
Default Ground zero Harris County...

Looks like my lease is very close to the area of Harris County's release site. Kinda cool. Thanks for posting.
Old 11-28-2013, 09:04 AM

I wonder if I am related to the Whittington fellow?
Old 05-17-2014, 09:44 PM

Very cool...Thanks for sharing. .
Old 07-08-2014, 09:25 PM

Good information about the restocking program. I remember when the deer were stocked in Upson and Pike counties.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"--Edmund Burke 1729
Old 10-22-2014, 09:59 AM

Were the deer released on public or private property? I'm wondering where the deer were restocked in Hall County.
Old 09-08-2015, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmenHonkey View Post
I just saw this thread. It's Great BTW. I had the pleasure of getting to know Mr. Whittington. Great Man, unbelievable outdoorsman. He never sat in a deerstand. And according to him he has some Giant horns...He was our caretaker at our club in Crawford county. he walked our lease many times and gave us detailed instruction on browse line and how many does needed killing. We shared many conversations and i learned alot about the restocking from him directly. Yes there were great numbers restocked privately. Usually still had the DNR's help just no real records were kept. I'm lucky to live in a county that had both Texas and WI strain placed. There here just dang hard to find...
Mr. Whit is still the great outdoorsman. One of the stupidest things I ever did was selling the '89 Z71 I bought from him. He's a tough ole feller too, rattle snakes can't even put him down for long.
Old 01-18-2016, 12:20 PM

Weird they used some of the island deer as broodstock. Wish we did not introduce the genetics of those tiny deer to the rest of the herd.
Old 02-20-2016, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProAngler View Post
Weird they used some of the island deer as broodstock. Wish we did not introduce the genetics of those tiny deer to the rest of the herd.
The islands don't have poor genetics, they just have poor soils and habitat. The areas on the mainland with good habitat that were stocked solely with island deer produce really nice bucks.
Old 10-24-2016, 10:33 AM

Ive heard various stories all my life about this. I find the records very interesting.

For instance we all know Dooley countys reputation as a big buck county. Of there original deer stocking a 3rd came from the islands. Another 3rd came from PNWR. Im not sure where they came from originally. Makes you wonder how much genetics plays a role period.
'Veteran' whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve is someone who, at one point in his/her life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'USA' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.'
Old 11-23-2016, 03:27 PM
Retired Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BornToHuntAndFish View Post

In case you have not seen this document from 1975, Georgia Deer Restocking from 1928 to 1974, below is its web link, and then below that is a couple of its interesting summary tables that has answered many of my questions and hopefully some of yours:

http://www.gohuntgeorgia.com/assets/..._1928-1974.pdf

Glad you posted the image. It appears the link no longer works.
Old 09-08-2017, 08:27 AM

Interesting stuff