GON Magazine | GON Classifieds

Go Back   Georgia Outdoor News Forum > Deer and Small Game Hunting and Trail Cams > Deer Hunting

Old 09-11-2017, 12:28 AM
Default Dad passed away

Well, my dad passed away Wednesday 09/06/2017 . I posted a good while back about him having stage 4 inoperable prostate cancer. He was the strongest man I have ever known. He took 44 radiation treatments and actually beat the cancer. It went into remission and his numbers were so good it was actually like it did not exist. But, then he had a couple of heart attacks and had a blood clot Wednesday that caused another heart attack. I feel so lost without him. We always hunted and fished together. He taught me everything I know about hunting and fishing. He use to take me deer hunting with him when I was 3 years old . We would sit all day from dark til dark. I remember it getting so cold my bottom jaw would shake so bad that my teeth would chatter. When I was so little and could not walk good through the woods or got to tired to walk he would carry me. Then as I got older he gave me a old single shot 12 gauge shot gun to carry. As I look at is old deer rifle that he carried for 40 plus years (742 wood master) the color on the metal and wood of the gun is worn off in the shape of his hand I think about all the deer he killed over the years and the times we went hunting. I remember when I was young he was able to out walk me and he would say come on son it's just a little further you can make it. Then as he got older I could out walk him and I would say come on daddy it's just a little further you can make it. I just feel so lost without him being here . The last hunt that we got to go on together that he was actually able to hunt was ossabaw island hog hunt in 2016. Here are a couple of pictures from that hunt.
Attached Images

Old 09-11-2017, 01:04 AM
Official Sports Forum Birthday Thread Starter

Sorry for your loss, Tony. Sounds like y'all had an awesome relationship, and one that has filled your life full of great memories of him. I remember your thread from last year, and was so happy to see you and him getting to go on that hunt together. It's a tough time right now, but you hang in there, buddy. Time has a way of easing the pain.
Old 09-11-2017, 01:49 AM

My deepest condolences for you and your family. It sounds like your dad was a great man and has left behing a great legacy also. Embrace the memories and be sure to pass on all that he taught you.
Old 09-11-2017, 01:57 AM

I can't imagine being in your position right now brother. So sorry for your loss, but in this time of grief and sorrow hold onto the memories that you've share. God bless man
Old 09-11-2017, 03:44 AM

I am sorry for your loss. May God be with you and all family members.
Old 09-11-2017, 04:08 AM
BornNRaised

I am SO sorry brother. My love to you and your family. You will be in my thoughts and prayers.

Sincere condolences in this tough time.
Old 09-11-2017, 04:28 AM
GON Severe Weatherman

My condolences for your loss. Tough to lose your best hunting partner and dad in the same person. No more illness or pain for him though and he's scoutin out some of the best huntin to be had just waitin on you to join him when it's your time. Prayers sent up for you.
Old 09-11-2017, 04:50 AM
FREELANCE ADMINISTRATOR

My regrets to you and your family. Thoughts and prayers.
Old 09-11-2017, 04:52 AM

Prayers sent up , I feel your pain , absent from the body present with the lord
Old 09-11-2017, 05:47 AM

Prayers sent for you and your Family
Old 09-11-2017, 05:51 AM

Some awesome memories there my friend, one day down the road those memories will provide you with a lifetime of comfort. Do you have a son or daughter to share the woods with like you did with your dad?
Old 09-11-2017, 05:59 AM
Retired Moderator

Sorry to hear about this
Old 09-11-2017, 06:01 AM

Thoughts and prayers for you and your family.
Old 09-11-2017, 06:15 AM

Tony,

I am sorry to hear of your Dad's passing. My Thoughts and Prayers are surely with your family at this time. I remember reading your post about your hunt last year and I realized back then that you and your Dad were exactly like me and my Dad too.

My Dad also taught me everything about the outdoors including hunting and fishing. He and I spent untold number of hours in the outdoors together and we loved every minute of it too. He also taught me to do the right things in life and to always honor my word in every situation and to never tarnish our very well earned family name. My Dad's motto in life was, "As you go through life, do your best to help everybody that you can today because the person that you help today could very easily be the person that helps you tomorrow when you might need it most". I am blessed to have lived up to all of these teachings throughout my lifetime.

The reason that I share this with you is because after reading your previous comments and also your current comments about your Dad, it is evident just how much you two loved each other while enjoying all of the great times that you spent together. Just remember that you are making sure that the "legacy" that was created by your Dad will be forever alive in your heart. That is one of the very best feelings in the world.

My Dad battled lung cancer for 15 months before he passed and he also had 36 radiation treatments and many chemo treatments as well. I watched him go from being 180 pounds down to a shell of a man when he died on his 68th birthday. None of this dampened his spirits and I make sure that every day, his spirit continues to live in me because my Dad will always be in my heart.

I believe that you and I are so similar in these aspects and I surely believe that you and I will always continue the Legacy of our Dad's as we will both look forward to reuniting with our Dads again in a totally pain free environment.
Old 09-11-2017, 06:50 AM

Sorry for your loss. Thoughts and prayers.
Old 09-11-2017, 06:56 AM

Sorry for your loss. Wonderful memories to carry with you for the rest of your life.
Old 09-11-2017, 07:18 AM

Tony, I'm sorry for your loss, thoughts and prayers for you and your family
Old 09-11-2017, 07:25 AM

Thoughts and prayers for you and family, friend. I feel your pain my dad and I were close too, we lost him 7 years ago there is hardly a day that goes by that I don't think of him, the good times we had, the things we done together. Time does heal but keep the memories and the pictures and talk about the good times it helps. But most of all keep the faith that one glorious day we we all be reunited in that golden city. God Bless.
Old 09-11-2017, 07:30 AM

Thoughts, condolences and prayers go out to you and your family.

The photos will take on more and more significance as times goes by.

Stay strong and remember the great times.
Old 09-11-2017, 07:31 AM

Sorry for your loss Tony. Let the memories soothe and help to take the pain out of your grieving. Prayers sent.
Old 09-11-2017, 07:42 AM
Administrator

Sorry to hear it. I lost my dad 11 years ago, it's not an easy thing.
Old 09-11-2017, 08:14 AM

Sorry for your loss,Old hunters never really leave,in passing we as sons,daughters and grand children Carry their sprit with us as we carry on the tradition that they have given to us.I to lost my dad November 2 years ago and every time I hunt I know that his spirit is with me and the laughter and companionship of my old hunting buddy stays with my heart and with that I carry on to pass it to my daughter and grand children.God bless you and family it's by his grace I will one day see my father again.
Old 09-11-2017, 08:34 AM

I am sorry for your loss. It's hard to read about this as it stirs up old memories, that being said it's your memories of him that will keep you going through difficult times.
Old 09-11-2017, 08:50 AM
GONetwork Member

Thanks so much for sharing this. Reading this makes me think so much about how close I am with my Dad. I am really sorry for your loss and know there are some tough times ahead for you dealing with his loss, but so happy that you got to spend so many years together. Sounds like you guys had some great memories in the woods and through life.

Keep hunting in his memory! God Bless.
Old 09-11-2017, 09:09 AM

Sorry to hear. Praying for you and your family