GON Magazine | GON Classifieds

Go Back   Georgia Outdoor News Forum > Deer and Small Game Hunting and Trail Cams > Deer Hunting

Old 09-17-2017, 07:40 PM
Default White Oaks

I'm very curious to know the range of the White Oak tree. I am in South Ga, around an hour south of Macon. I have personally never seen a white oak tree anywhere that I have hunted (Around here). All I've ever seen are red oaks and water oaks.

Am I just not looking in the correct spots? Or am I too far south for them. It seems every year I search and search but I can never run up on one. I'm no expert, but I'm pretty confident in my tree ID's. Just curious as to where I should look.
Old 09-17-2017, 08:14 PM

This shows their range as far south as Northern FL. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quercus_alba

When I am driving North on I-75, I would say that eastern sliver of Crawford county just northwest of Warner Robins is where I start to really see them from the road.
Old 09-17-2017, 08:43 PM

We hunt some property in Eastman that's about 200 acres and I've never seen a white oak on that property anywhere.
Old 09-17-2017, 09:14 PM
FREELANCE ADMINISTRATOR

White oaks are all down through here in South- Southwest Georgia, along with swamp chestnut oaks.
Old 09-17-2017, 09:29 PM

They don't seem to regrow after timber cutting as vigorously as other oaks do, maybe slower growing.
Old 09-17-2017, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
White oaks are all down through here in South- Southwest Georgia, along with swamp chestnut oaks.
Nic, I hunt two areas one is bordered by about 2000 acres of 30-40 yo planted pines. The area where I hunt is about 50 acres of a clearcut about the same age as those pines (about 30 years old or so). This cutover is flooded with water and red oaks. The other is about 4 miles from a fairly big river. It has the same oaks, water and red. I've yet to find one. I believe they may favor the river bottoms instead of the swamps I hunt but I could be wrong.

I had a friend who's family owned about 300 acres bordering the previously stated river. All I could ever find was water oaks and a million live oaks.
Old 09-17-2017, 09:49 PM

The are definitely more of an upland species.....more in the "mixed mesophytic" forests like oak-hickory and beech-maple climax forests.

Down in south GA where you have more lowlands and pines, they will just not be as common. Kind of like fox squirrels.....some folks in a given area have them, some don't.
Old 09-17-2017, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deers2ward View Post
The are definitely more of an upland species.....more in the "mixed mesophytic" forests like oak-hickory and beech-maple climax forests.

Down in south GA where you have more lowlands and pines, they will just not be as common. Kind of like fox squirrels.....some folks in a given area have them, some don't.
Well I've got the fox squirrels, but the rare white oak continues to elude me.

I'm sure they're here but I've been running all over these deep south swamps for a long time and I've yet to find one.
Old 09-18-2017, 03:36 AM

We have way less in Quitman county thanks to the timber company's cutting the bottoms. Some, well a lot are cut just to lay on the ground. I have a few left.
Old 09-18-2017, 07:34 AM

I got a pretty good amount in Randolph county on my place.
Old 09-18-2017, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmckinnie View Post
We have way less in Quitman county thanks to the timber company's cutting the bottoms. Some, well a lot are cut just to lay on the ground. I have a few left.
A few is much better than a lot .
Old 09-18-2017, 08:03 AM

I didn't realize there weren't any down south. I'm hunting dozens of white oaks right now and the ground is littered with them. Only problem is they are everywhere and random if you see a deer feeding on them.
Old 09-18-2017, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deernut3 View Post
A few is much better than a lot .
Yea. I can sit at them and watch the hogs eat every one of them. Squirrel don't stand a chance of finding a missed acorn.
Old 09-18-2017, 08:08 AM
FREELANCE ADMINISTRATOR

White oaks here are generally on the ridges and higher ground. Swamp chestnut oaks will mostly be in the lower areas, but they are occasionally in the edge of uplands too, and deer love em like candy.

I don`t know how far south white oaks grow but I see them down in Seminole County.
Old 09-18-2017, 08:18 AM
Administrator

They grow throughout Georgia south into the Florida panhandle. The further south you go, the less you see, though. They are very common in the Piedmont and mountain areas, but scattered in the coastal plain. As Nic said, they grow more in upland areas.
Old 09-18-2017, 08:27 AM

We have a few in Randolph co. Lost a couple nice ones right after the end of the season last year when a tornado came through. Also destroyed many red oaks and a really pretty part of the property.
Old 09-18-2017, 09:17 AM

Yea I've seen white oaks all over the SE, I like the fox squirrel reference.

Now I ran into some Sawtooth Oaks a few weeks back mowing a place, and those are not native to my knowledge, so def had to have been introduced to that place (I'm pretty certain).
Old 09-18-2017, 10:31 AM

we have them on our place in Northern Gadsden County, FL. AN I have them in my yard in Gadsden County
Old 09-18-2017, 05:58 PM

I'll have to keep looking for them I guess. I plan to order 100 or so from the Ga forestry commission this season to go with my sawtooths. The only one I've ever seen was in eufaula Alabama hunting some relatives land. They had clearcut the entire 500 acre block or so two years prior and left that single white oak standing.
I saw 37 deer that day coming to that oak during bow season. Every since that day I've been looking here at home for them.
Old 09-18-2017, 06:05 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencer12 View Post
I'll have to keep looking for them I guess. I plan to order 100 or so from the Ga forestry commission this season to go with my sawtooths. The only one I've ever seen was in eufaula Alabama hunting some relatives land. They had clearcut the entire 500 acre block or so two years prior and left that single white oak standing.
I saw 37 deer that day coming to that oak during bow season. Every since that day I've been looking here at home for them.
Our problem here is too many of them. My favorite situation is finding a small grove of dropping white oaks out in the middle of a stand of pines or poplars with no others nearby and some good bedding cover in the vicinity.
Old 09-18-2017, 06:46 PM

Even if you don't have a true white oak..Live oak is a variety in the white oak family. You might also look for post oak another variety in the white oak family.
Old 09-18-2017, 10:16 PM

Nic is correct, they can grow anywhere but for some reason the prefer the side of a hill (maybe drainage?) and the swamp chestnut my personal favorite grows in the bottums.

Kmac is also correct: seems like the timber companies would always leave the bottums and ridges intact, and log/replant the tops and plateaus. Last decade or so it seems to me they run right down to the water and take everything. I'm curious what, if anything, has changed for them to do this.

and you are correct too- it may be you dont have any on your place, if you do, finding them might be your honeyhole