GON Magazine | GON Classifieds

Go Back   Georgia Outdoor News Forum > Spiritual Help and Religion Discussions > Spiritual Discussions and Study

Old 09-03-2017, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artfuldodger View Post
That's because you are thinking in today's thought process.
What about in your great grandfather's eyes?
I can tell you that when I was a child, women didn't wear pants to Church and girls didn't wear pants to school.

There are still many Christian schools that don't allow girls to wear pants. They do see it as girls dressing as boys.

Now back in the Middle East when Deuteronomy was written, I have no idea what men and women wore that made them look different.

Now men wear long hair and put it up in a bun. That and two ear rings.
How far a person or church takes the Deuteronomy passage is up to them. I believe if a women or man puts on clothes that would make someone think they are the other gender is a problem. You can tell my wife is a women when she has jeans on.
Old 09-03-2017, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miguel Cervantes View Post
So we are casting stones now?
http://forum.gon.com/showpost.php?p=...24&postcount=4
Old 09-08-2017, 06:40 PM

http://babylonbee.com/news/bee-expla...lle-statement/
Old 09-08-2017, 06:49 PM
GON Severe Weatherman

Quote:
Originally Posted by stringmusic View Post
That doesn't answer my question.
Old 09-09-2017, 05:07 AM

I have never needed help from miniskirts, nor ever been dissuaded sufficiently by Burkas to understand regardless, I have a particular interest in reproductive means and organs.

The one of earth can hold attention only as long as it can, for it is passing away. It's deepest recesses are all...darkness. The mystery can never be solved, or resolved there.

Looking into the means by which the Father begets, however, is all of light. Yes...be caught...looking.
Old 09-09-2017, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Israel View Post
I have never needed help from miniskirts, nor ever been dissuaded sufficiently by Burkas to understand regardless, I have a particular interest in reproductive means and organs.

The one of earth can hold attention only as long as it can, for it is passing away. It's deepest recesses are all...darkness. The mystery can never be solved, or resolved there.

Looking into the means by which the Father begets, however, is all of light. Yes...be caught...looking.
Maybe your most unintelligible post yet. Props for keeping it semi-short.
Old 09-09-2017, 02:49 PM

Quote:

The Antidote.
Old 09-10-2017, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemcgrew View Post
The Antidote.
Amen.
Old 09-14-2017, 01:35 AM
Ol' Retired Mod

And does the Lord say for those who have been born with both ovaries and testacles.
Or both penis and vagina?
And the many variations of the mixture?
Who decides? The church? The doctor? The pastor? The parent? The individual?
What if even the individual can't?
Old 09-14-2017, 08:10 AM
Daily Bible Verse Organizer
Default re:

Though I owe all to Christ for He has redeemed me, I also owe nothing for He has already paid. Why not give that paradoxical truth away to all? Freely!!! Why does man try to put so many strings on the Gospel? Why do I so often want to? It's really simple!

Matthew 11
28 Come to Me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. 29 Take My yoke upon you, and learn from Me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. 30 For My yoke is easy, and My burden is light.
Old 09-14-2017, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by formula1 View Post
Though I owe all to Christ for He has redeemed me, I also owe nothing for He has already paid. Why not give that paradoxical truth away to all? Freely!!! Why does man try to put so many strings on the Gospel? Why do I so often want to? It's really simple!

Matthew 11
28 Come to Me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. 29 Take My yoke upon you, and learn from Me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. 30 For My yoke is easy, and My burden is light.
The idea that we owe nothing, with the implication that it is all done for us becauseJesus has already paid the bill has been given as a truth since the Reformation.

Although many claim it as truth few can live by it. So if it is part of the burden made light, a yoke made easy... it don't seem to fit the sheep because it has not made men or women, it's so called saints, gentle and lowly of heart and rested in the blessing that is redemption. Like it is with society in general, that 20 percent suffer from mental illness at any
given time, could it be the same with spiritual illness a percentage of some kind?
I would sort of ask why does the Gospel constantly need to be "stringed" to saints that have already known and been captured by the Gospel? This is very different than presenting the Gospel to people who have heard the message but have not received the simple blessing of a burden light and an easy yoke.

Now yoked by the ties of Christ, and to those works that are my Lord's directives for me, why would I need the strings and spins of a revival tomorrow or new ties to my yoke? Is this from God? Or from men? And I have to wonder if the idea of owing nothing is perhaps just another unnecessary string to my yoke, a burden to my works asked of me by God. Works not that I might be saved, but works due to the love that is God's. It is an effort sometimes, ah!, a lot of the time it is my burden, though light and yes easy. Yet I fret to unlove, to hate, to sin. In my frettings are the works left to me?

Last edited by gordon 2; 09-14-2017 at 10:35 AM.
Old 09-14-2017, 10:37 AM
Daily Bible Verse Organizer
Default re:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon 2 View Post
The idea that we owe nothing, with the implication that it is all done for us becauseJesus has already paid the bill has been given as a truth since the Reformation.

Although many claim it as truth few can live by it. So if it is part of the burden made light, a yoke made easy... it don't seem to fit the sheep because it has not made men or women, it's so called saints, gentle and lowly of heart and rested in the blessing that is redemption. Like it is with society in general, that 20 percent suffer from mental illness at any given time, could it be the same with spiritual illness a percentage of some kind?

I would sort of ask why does the Gospel constantly need to be "stringed" to saints that have already known and been captured by the Gospel? This is very different than presenting the Gospel to people who have heard the message but have not received the simple blessing of a burden light and an easy yoke.

Now yoked by the ties of Christ, and to those works that are my Lord's directives for me, why would I need the strings and spins of a revival tomorrow or new ties to my yoke? Is this from God? Or from men? And I have to wonder if the idea of owing nothing is perhaps just another unnecessary string to my yoke, a burden to my works asked of me by God. Works not that I might be saved, but works due to the love that is God's. It is an effort sometimes, ah!, a lot of the time it is my burden, though light and yes easy.
Perhaps the joy of the one who realizes the debt has been paid yields the fruit of giving all for His sake! Perhaps!!!
Old 09-14-2017, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by formula1 View Post
Perhaps the joy of the one who realizes the debt has been paid yields the fruit of giving all for His sake! Perhaps!!!
Perhaps.
Old 09-15-2017, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon 2 View Post

Although many claim it as truth few can live by it. So if it is part of the burden made light, a yoke made easy... it don't seem to fit the sheep because it has not made men or women, it's so called saints, gentle and lowly of heart and rested in the blessing that is redemption. Like it is with society in general, that 20 percent suffer from mental illness at any
given time, could it be the same with spiritual illness a percentage of some kind?

Now yoked by the ties of Christ, and to those works that are my Lord's directives for me, why would I need the strings and spins of a revival tomorrow or new ties to my yoke? Is this from God? Or from men? And I have to wonder if the idea of owing nothing is perhaps just another unnecessary string to my yoke, a burden to my works asked of me by God. Works not that I might be saved, but works due to the love that is God's. It is an effort sometimes, ah!, a lot of the time it is my burden, though light and yes easy. Yet I fret to unlove, to hate, to sin. In my frettings are the works left to me?

Can it be the inexpressible that only the poet knows? (or, if not only...knows so well?)

That struggle is also the chiefest of joys? To be made able...to be about something?

Last edited by Israel; 09-15-2017 at 08:42 AM.
Old 09-17-2017, 09:40 PM

I'm reminded of the parable of the prodigal son. It shows us who God excepts. The brother who stayed and obeyed? He resented his Father's mercy.

This is as much as message about this brother as the returning brother. He actually resented his Father's mercy.
Old Yesterday, 06:28 AM

Quote:
I'm reminded of the parable of the prodigal son. It shows us who God excepts. The brother who stayed and obeyed? He resented his Father's mercy.

This is as much as message about this brother as the returning brother. He actually resented his Father's mercy.
Yes. He did. He resented the Father's goodness so much he "got in his face" about it, came clean about his view of things, thought he was wronged deeply.

But we would be wrong (would we not?) to condemn the "good" brother, for the father didn't. Who are we to judge another man's servant?

But here's a point we dare not miss in the father's non-rebuke of that brother, who bore enough rebuke in finding out he has been all wrong about his view in everything, at least relationship wise. He got to find out in his being "all wrong" just how much better things have always been, though he didn't know it.

"All I have is yours..." This brother didn't ever even have to ask for a kid, or a fatted calf, or any of the things he thought were "not his" that he labored for. He could have partied with his friends at any time...and the only thing keeping him from that...was himself. His view. His own understanding...of both who and what his father was like, and his relationship in that.

We could ask "had the prodigal never gone away, been returned to such reception of mercy, would the "good" son ever have been able to come to this?" It seems he needed something to so shock his sensibilities that he would confront his father to learn the truth.

Mercy is shocking. Who "gets" it...who is a candidate for it, and what it is displayed...against. I think that the "good" son, when seeing how wrong he has been might have learned the need for his prodigal brother, the allowance for him, so that he could be brought to his right senses. And there he might find...he was no less "wrong" than this brother whose actions he condemned.

I am fairly sure he had an affection for thinking he was the "better" son. God only knows how much this "affection" was a wrong motivation. The prodigal's motivation "I just can't bear being this miserable any longer...but, in my father's house..." was equally askew. But he had the temerity to come home and ask (though he never got the chance) to just live as a servant.

Yeah, Daddy waits. We all have our questions.
Old Yesterday, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Can it be the inexpressible that only the poet knows? (or, if not only...knows so well?)

That struggle is also the chiefest of joys? To be made able...to be about something?
Isaiah and his minions were perhaps great poets and knew to express their faith with poetry very well.

All I know is some of the politics of love. It is not always a joy. To be about something, I simply glean bits from love who's bits become mountains, dreams and from bits the foundations of my life in Christ. It is not poetry... it is a man, a gleaner, a traveler stopping long enough to receiving the food from the Lord, where the tables were set for him along the way. Such is my witness to our faith. I am a simple pilgrim, a stranger. ( "I am a pilgrim and a stranger traveling through this wearisome land..."

From Luke 18:14 "For all those who exalt themselves will be humbled, and those who humble themselves will be exalted.”

Last edited by gordon 2; Yesterday at 08:15 AM.
Old Yesterday, 09:53 AM

“'My son,’ the father said, ‘you are always with me, and everything I have is yours.”

“This brother of yours has been found.”
Old Today, 05:43 AM

Quote:
“'My son,’ the father said, ‘you are always with me, and everything I have is yours.”

“This brother of yours has been found.”
Amen!
Old Today, 06:20 AM

You are the ones who have stood by Me in My trials. And I bestow on you a kingdom, just as My Father has bestowed on Me,…

I don't think the "good" son had to explain to the prodigal, once he was home..."you know, Dad really missed you...he would look for you every day" I might stretch it further..."sometimes I'd hear him wake up in his room, calling your name from his sleep...and then weeping"

How much we learn...as prodigals, though! The rank paltriness...of things. (of which we learn even the good son...envied.)

Do any of us want to be prodigal? I would think not. Yet, is he not so easily understood? Who has trouble identifying with him?

Do any of us want the dour attitude of the other son? Yet, again...is it not so easily understood?

But the father...now there's a mystery to us. How does he love both...so very very well? One who plainly just wanted his stuff...to go his "own way", and got it, and learned all he seemed to need to about stuff...and the other, though staying, thinking his father a withholder, a sort of stingy master...and yet...finds out he has also been all wrong...about the true nature of his father...and therefore, their relationship.

How can the Father live like this, in love...with both? I look into Jesus and begin to see this thing I call love...and he calls love, and find out...only one of us is wrong. And it's OK. It's OK to be wrong, in order to see...who is right.
Old Today, 09:18 AM

good stuff