GON Magazine | GON Classifieds

Go Back   Georgia Outdoor News Forum > Woody's Campfire Talk > Around the Campfire

Old 09-13-2017, 09:54 AM
GON Severe Weatherman

Quote:
Originally Posted by StripeRR HunteRR View Post
She has my sympathy for being without power. She has none if she didn't take steps to protect herself and she gets outright contempt for making that big of a stink about it.
Here is what she wrote, I'll leave out her name, but she is an equipment operator for GDOT, so it's not like she didn't have a clue what was about to happen.

Quote:
Something needs to be done about Georgia power sending their linemen to Florida and leaving half our state without power. Tons of people have lost everything in their refrigerators and freezers and still dont have power..for what should have been a few hours has become a few days....their greed has cost us a lot of money .. greed because they get paid from the the time they start their trucks until the time they get back...i alone lost about $400 to $500.
In terms of how massive the destruction and damage to the power infrastructure in our state goes she truly is clueless.
Old 09-13-2017, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PappyHoel View Post
Going on day 3 without power, everyone on my road had power 6 hrs after it went out.

Anyone have any ideas why me and the neighbor behind me would be the only ones without power? Seems odd I have a neighbor on the left and right and all up down the road they have power.
Maybe the last check got lost in the mail.It has happened to me in the past.
Check your main breaker also.
Old 09-13-2017, 10:12 AM
<---Disruptive Ralph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miguel Cervantes View Post
Here is what she wrote, I'll leave out her name, but she is an equipment operator for GDOT, so it's not like she didn't have a clue what was about to happen.

In terms of how massive the destruction and damage to the power infrastructure in our state goes she truly is clueless.
I don't think that's the limits of her clueless-ness. Given that she jumped straight to greed, and knowing she works for GDOT, I'm willing to bet she's a Bernie or Hillary supporter.
Old 09-13-2017, 10:20 AM
Blue Heeler man

Quote:

i've been without for 3 days also.....difference is, i planned accordingly. Some/lots of folks down in Florida won't even have a home to come back too. Those are the folks I feel sorry for.
Old 09-13-2017, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Saw a woman on Facebook ranting about Ga. Power sending linemen to Florida to help while she has gone 3 days without and lost $400 groceries in her fridge and freezer.

I wanted to rip into her, but refrained. Poor selfish little snowflake. Most folks have absolutely no clue how much worse it could have been and should be thankful that the temps are as such that the power being out isn't making their homes too hot or too cold.

Some folks would whine if you used a brand new rope to hang them.
I just heard the lake place is still without power and I am super happy the fridge and one large tree that missed the house is all I lost.

My neighbor said some stranger who he or I have never met has cut the tree and stacked it for me. Folks are awesome when you look for the good to talk about.
Old 09-13-2017, 10:47 AM

We lost power while I was cooking brunch. I walked out on the back porch and finished it on a Coleman Tailgater grill. We were ready for a prolonged outage, it was back on in time to do the dishes.
Point is that each of should be ready for these things. In a world of pay per view this and that, it does not take much money or time. I guess attitude and awareness ain't what they used to be.
Old 09-13-2017, 10:57 AM
Administrator

People, especially urban people, have lost sight of the fact that Ma Nature is still in charge.
Old 09-13-2017, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCHillbilly View Post
People, especially urban people, have lost sight of the fact that Ma Nature is still in charge.
Naw she ain't. According to them, we can PREVENT storms like Irma and even earthquakes like the one in Mexico if we just go green.
Old 09-13-2017, 11:14 AM

My whole street is still out. I don't mind it - it's always good to go a few days without something you find yourself taking for granted at times. My girlfriend and parents...not so much.
Old 09-13-2017, 11:18 AM
Retired Moderator

A $500 generator from Home Depot will keep a fridge. Microwave. Coffee pot. And some lights on.

Like said above just takes some planning.
Old 09-13-2017, 11:19 AM

Quote:
You get that campsite reserved or the wife won't let you go yet?
Working on it. Baseball tourney that weekend.
Old 09-13-2017, 11:55 AM
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milkman View Post
A $500 generator from Home Depot will keep a fridge. Microwave. Coffee pot. And some lights on.

We were fully prepared for everything short of the zombie apocalypse. Thankfully we didn't need it it for very long so we have a leg up on the next one.
Old 09-13-2017, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithsto View Post
Naw she ain't. According to them, we can PREVENT storms like Irma and even earthquakes like the one in Mexico if we just go green.
Saw where some are saying the Gov't causes these natural disasters and actually steers them in the direction the .gov wants them to go.SMH
science
math
history.
Old 09-13-2017, 12:34 PM
FREELANCE ADMINISTRATOR

Quote:

She has no idea how we work or get paid. We were not on the clock the entire time we were gone. I`d like to see her walk just 75 feet in my boots.

Any lineman will understand what I`m talking about with my last sentence.
Old 09-13-2017, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
She has no idea how we work or get paid. We were not on the clock the entire time we were gone. I`d like to see her walk just 75 feet in my boots.

And this is what folks need to keep in perspective. A few days without the computer and iPad phone might do some folks good.

I'm still without power but the fridge/freezer and do dads have the needed power. Just hope the wife tops off the gas while I'm at work.
Old 09-13-2017, 12:59 PM
Administrator

Quote:

I think her idea of "hardship" is a whole lot different from ours. I've spent most of my life outside doing rough work in all kinds of weather conditions, but I would not want to climb a pole or go up in a bucket in the middle of one of these storms.
Old 09-13-2017, 01:23 PM
FREELANCE ADMINISTRATOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCHillbilly View Post
I think her idea of "hardship" is a whole lot different from ours. I've spent most of my life outside doing rough work in all kinds of weather conditions, but I would not want to climb a pole or go up in a bucket in the middle of one of these storms.

I was up in your state in February 1996 during that ice storm. I always liked to climb, but not on an ice covered pole like this one. You got to be a little crazy.

No way to get a bucket truck in there where they sent me.
Attached Images

Old 09-13-2017, 04:36 PM
GON Severe Weatherman

Quote:
Originally Posted by StripeRR HunteRR View Post
I don't think that's the limits of her clueless-ness. Given that she jumped straight to greed, and knowing she works for GDOT, I'm willing to bet she's a Bernie or Hillary supporter.
She lives in Athens and is from Maryland. There's no doubt in my mind that she has an entitlement mentality and thinks Communism is da bomb.
Old 09-13-2017, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milkman View Post

And a window unit.
Old 09-13-2017, 06:26 PM

Predator generators from Harbor Freight have great reviews several of my friends have them. I got a 4000 and a wheel kit for $304. Shipping was around $7.
Old 09-13-2017, 07:55 PM

Check out slickdeals.net. I lucked up several years back and got a Generac GP5500W with wheel kit for less than $300 delivered. Then they "lost it in transit" and while I had to wait another 3 weeks, I ended up getting another 20% off my order. It was a one day flash sale through Home Depot if I remember correctly. It worked like a champ and served it's purpose until I upgraded to the Generac 20kw standby unit.
Old 09-13-2017, 10:28 PM

Quote:
I was up in your state in February 1996 during that ice storm. I always liked to climb, but not on an ice covered pole like this one. You got to be a little crazy.

Nic, if that is a pic of you, I hope you have that framed on a wall. Great pic.
Old 09-13-2017, 11:38 PM

Quote:

You gotta be a little crazy to fool with power lines period if you ask me! I'm a 23 year firefighter/paramedic and have taken more than my fair share of chances and been in some hairy situations for sure. But, for some reason electricity and power lines spook me! We were on a call one night during a severe storm when a tree came down on a main line on a major highway through town about 200-300 feet or so below our engine checking on a car off the road. The light put off by that thing and mostly the deafening buzzing burning sound was nothing short of terrifying! It went from pitch black to daylight instantly! I swear you could feel it in the air it seemed. I was about 50ft from the truck when it happened and I promise you my feet didn't touch the ground but maybe 3 times and my rear end was in the cab! Seems I remember Newnan Utilities saying it was a 100,000v transmission or main line??? I don't know what all that means, I just know it was mean!!! I'll never forget that.

My hats of to any and all who do or have done it. Its a thankless job that is 99.9 percent of the time taken for granted.

Last edited by Greene728; 09-13-2017 at 11:56 PM.
Old 09-14-2017, 03:56 AM

We need a winter weather outlook!
Old 09-14-2017, 07:14 AM
GON Severe Weatherman

Quote:
Originally Posted by blood on the ground View Post
We need a winter weather outlook!