GON Magazine | GON Classifieds

Go Back   Georgia Outdoor News Forum > Fishing > Tournament Forum

Old 08-31-2017, 09:23 PM
Default New Bassmaster Open Schedule/Format

I got really excited when I saw the new Bassmaster Opens schedule and updated format.

With 4 tournaments in each (of two) divisions, and a Championship, I think this is going to be a really great format. Im really excited about the Eastern schedule, as it looks like it is a well balanced schedule with many different fisheries.

What do you think about the new format and the schedule?
Attached Images

Old 09-01-2017, 09:33 PM

I don't like it. I am a co-angler and with every change they have made in the last 5 or 6 years it has hurt me. When the elites had co-anglers the Opens were for the everyday fisherman to get a taste of the big leagues.
Then the Elites eliminated the co-angler and the Opens got more expensive for a co-angler. Then with the invent of win-and-your-in format more Pros started fishing them. Which in-turn made co-angling more popular. With that you had to sign up for all 3 in a divisions the minute they opened registration or you were just about out of luck to fish any of them.

With the new spread out format it will stop a lot of co-anglers from being able to fish them. In the blue collar world getting the better part of 4 weeks off is hard to come by. I can't imagine telling the family I don't have the time or money to take them on a vacation but I am going on 4 fishing trips.
Lake Okeechobee is to far for me to drive by myself safely. I have tried to register for the other 2 when the first tourney of a year was scheduled for Okeechobee, but was not selected.

First they eliminated the B.A.S.S. ran "Weekend Series". Now they have all but stopped me from fishing the Opens.
I guess I will have to abandon B.A.S.S. all together and go all in for the FLW. B.A.S.S. must be looking for deeper pockets than I have.
Good Luck to all them rich folk out there.
Old 09-02-2017, 01:40 PM

Yea it's not for the weekend angler
Old 09-03-2017, 12:00 AM

What good is it for a co-angler want to travel from the middle of FL to upper New York over the course of a season? Why not fish as a pro?
Old 09-07-2017, 06:44 PM

No its not for average guy , its a minor league system for very serious folks that are trying to make the elite series . Every sport has a system similar to this , I glad they changed from win one and your in the classic . There are plenty of other series for people like me , and I personally could not fish as a co-anglerwith a guy that is wired so tight that he screams at me to get the NET every time he hooks a G G G giant 13 inch bass .
Old 09-08-2017, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTZ25 View Post
I personally could not fish as a co-angler with a guy that is wired so tight that he screams at me to get the NET every time he hooks a G G G giant 13 inch bass .
I about spit coke on the computer screen.