GON Magazine | GON Classifieds

Go Back   Georgia Outdoor News Forum > Fishing > Georgia Coastal Fishing

Old 10-06-2017, 12:09 PM
Default Seining and Blue Crabs

For those interested in blue crabs, the wife and I have been catching, and giving to whoever on the beach would take them, 5-7 gals. of blue crabs every trip lately. We put them in a bucket to eliminate catching them over and over as we seine. If you find us on the beach (look for the elderly couple with the home made wooden cart) and ask for them. We would be more than glad to give them to you.
Old 10-12-2017, 10:46 AM

I did it all wrong....
Other than doing everything wrong, my crew was less than enthusiastic. I went at the wrong times and wrong part of the beach. So, we have made plans to stay at the same place on the 20-22 Oct. We will try again. I talked to Pops on Saturday, so I will follow directions this next time.

David
Old 10-12-2017, 01:49 PM

Seining isn't exactly rocket science, but it helps to observe experienced seiners or at least discuss with them the finer points of seining. If you can manage to go during the week, rather than the weekend, you will have better success.
If you happen to see an elderly couple with a homemade wooden cart, stop by and say hello.
Better luck on your next trip.
Old 10-12-2017, 06:15 PM

What do you do with all that shrimp?! I'm happy with just half a 5gal bucket of shrimp.
Old 10-12-2017, 07:33 PM

Save the small ones for bait along with the squid and cuttlefish. Share with friends and family. Put the rest in the freezer to eat till the next season. Helps reduce the grocery bill and they taste good too. We're like Bubba Gump, we like 'em any way you can fix 'em.
Old 10-17-2017, 08:45 PM

I'd like to go during the week, but between work, football practice, band practice, and gymnastics, we stay busy during the weekdays....
Maybe I'll duck work one day soon.....
We will be out this weekend, gonna try it again.

David
Old 10-18-2017, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDave2000 View Post
I'd like to go during the week, but between work, football practice, band practice, and gymnastics, we stay busy during the weekdays....
Maybe I'll duck work one day soon.....
We will be out this weekend, gonna try it again.

David
I know the feeling. The good thing is that there will be less people as the water gets cooler but the weekends will always have more. Most of the time people are polite. I know the last time I went on a saturday there were quiet a few seiners but we each took our turn and caught shrimp. Now....some of them were not too happy with some of the shark fishermen that had let their lines drift way down the beach. That is the part that is aggravating. Fish but don't take up the entire beach.
Old 10-18-2017, 09:46 PM

Unfortunately, it's a public beach. Most of the fishermen will work with you if you ask politely. The shark fishermen are a different story, since they kayak their baits way out, it's difficult for them to reel in and let you pass. You just have to work around them. This isn't usually too difficult.
Since my wife and I shrimp the entire length of the beach, there is always room somewhere; you may just have to walk a ways to find a long stretch of clear beach. Most of the people fishing don't go that far down the beach.
Old 10-21-2017, 09:58 AM
Default Asian Tiger Shrimp

Sometimes you catch a BIG shrimp.
Attached Images