Go Back   Georgia Outdoor News Forum > Woody's Campfire Talk > Camping, Hiking and RV's

Old 10-11-2011, 09:33 PM
Default Hammocks

I have been a backpacker for a long time, but I always have used a traditional tent/sleeping bag. Lately I have been looking at either a Hennessy Hammock or a War Bonnet Blackbird.

Any input on which you prefer and if it is doable in the winter?
Old 10-12-2011, 08:35 PM

Yes it is doablein the winter. I will never sleep on the ground again. I have about 10 different hammocks right now with another on the way. There is no better sleep. I even sleep in one at home about 3 nights a week.

As for Hennesy vs. the BlackBird, I have both. They each have their pros and cons. The Blackbird is a little easier to hang and a little warmer if using a pad between the layers. I like the Explorer Delux better than the Expedition. But the Cadilac for me is the Clark NX or TX 250. Many more features.

For winter you really need to go with a top quilt and an under quilt.
Old 10-12-2011, 08:41 PM

Wow that Clark NX looks nice but it is a bit out of my price range!
Old 11-03-2011, 08:01 PM

We use the Hennessy Expediations for our scouting trips when possible. Haven't slept in a tent in several years. You must have a good top quilt / under quilt during colder months. Regardless of your sleeping bag, you compress the loft and you will get cold. A thermocell is a good idea during times when the skeeters are out. Skeeters can get to you through the hammock material. If you go with the Hennessy, make sure to get the snake skins with it.
Old 12-10-2011, 08:05 PM

Snake skins?
Old 12-20-2011, 08:47 PM

I like to go ultralight when I hike, usually to places to fly fish...meaning my fishing gear takes the place of common luxuries (tent and pad)..I use the ENO doublenest hammock; very very lightweight and literally rolls up into the size of a softball clips on your pack with a carabiner. I also use the dry fly rain tarp by ENO to cover over top when its raining...when its cold a nice down sleeping bag and a fire a couple feet away keep me more than warm...its cheaper than most hammocks I found and Ive had it for 3 years and still using it
Old 12-22-2011, 06:03 AM

I was like you until 3 years ago when a buddy of mine let me sleep in his Hennessy on a trout fishing trip. It's all I use now if I'm not with the family, they can get a little cold in the winter set up is key. And you really better listen to the people telling you to bring a thermocell in the summer!!!
Old 12-31-2011, 07:27 PM

Just another opinion. I have been backpacking about 60 years(time flies when your having fun). I'm 70 now and just did the lower half of SMNP. I use an ultralight tarp in the summer and a UL tent(1.45 lbs)in the winter. Found that my old bones don't take to a hammock too well. That and falling out of it in the middle of the night when my bladder gets me up. Also like the convenience of having my pack at hand(also use it for my pillow).
Old 01-02-2012, 06:12 PM

I use a Hennessey Hammock with a Big Agnes bag that has the sleeping pad pocket underneath for the cold months. I find the combination very comfortable in temps into the 20's.
Old 02-18-2012, 03:43 PM
1eyehunting

for warmth and comfort, try setting hammock height so that your weight brings you just barely down on to pad, sleeping bag, or ground. helps w insulation and stops swingin all night-
Old 02-19-2012, 01:53 PM

Search on You Tube for "Shug hammock camping" and watch any of his videos. He's an expert and very funny. I haven't been backpacking in awhile but my daughter and I was thinking about trying hammocks. Below is a link to a hammock forum;
http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/v...ewtag&tag=shug
Old 02-19-2012, 09:41 PM

This may be a dumb question
When sleeping in a hammock how do you repel animals?

We went camping back in the summer and had bears come through every night
Old 02-20-2012, 12:41 PM

I've heard hammocks referred to as a "bear pinata".
Old 02-20-2012, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahFair View Post

Bear spray! http://centerforwildlifeinformation....bearspray.html
Old 02-20-2012, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zacherwalker View Post
I like to go ultralight when I hike, usually to places to fly fish...meaning my fishing gear takes the place of common luxuries (tent and pad)..I use the ENO doublenest hammock; very very lightweight and literally rolls up into the size of a softball clips on your pack with a carabiner. I also use the dry fly rain tarp by ENO to cover over top when its raining...when its cold a nice down sleeping bag and a fire a couple feet away keep me more than warm...its cheaper than most hammocks I found and Ive had it for 3 years and still using it
X2 on the double nest!
Old 02-23-2012, 09:10 PM

I wish I had a hennessy fully geared. Savin up for one though.
2nd Thessalonians 3:10-12
Association of Dime Store Cowboys-Regular, Average Run of the Mill member.
Old 02-28-2012, 12:39 AM

Just make sure you have some overhead cover somewhere (tarp, etc) if it rains or you'll be entombed in the hammock for the duration.
Old 02-28-2012, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artfuldodger View Post

Maybe more of a bear burrito.....
Old 03-01-2012, 11:32 PM

You can make an under quilt out of a US Army poncho liner. I find an under quilt to be far superior to trying to lay on a sleeping pad in a hammock.

Here's how I make'em: Poncho liner underquilt.
Old 03-02-2012, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artfuldodger View Post

Another vote for the Hennessy here.Hammocks are great when you're at sea,too.When it's hot and humid down in the bunks,it's nice and breezy on the deck!They compensate for the rolling of the boat,too.
Old 03-27-2012, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Hickory View Post
You can make an under quilt out of a US Army poncho liner. I find an under quilt to be far superior to trying to lay on a sleeping pad in a hammock.

Here's how I make'em: Poncho liner underquilt.
how small does that poncho liner pack down and is it heavy? i like it
Old 06-19-2012, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilber85 View Post
I have been a backpacker for a long time, but I always have used a traditional tent/sleeping bag. Lately I have been looking at either a Hennessy Hammock or a War Bonnet Blackbird.]

Any input on which you prefer and if it is doable in the winter?
I have 4 hammocks a Mosquito Hammock from www.mosquitohammock.com a Ticket to the moon Hammock at www.tickettothemoon.com, and two Hennessy Hammocks from www.hennessyhammocks.com Out of those the Hennessy's are my favorite. They come with everything you need. A rain fly, bug net, tree straps, and tie out string for anything on the hammock that needs tying out. It also has shock cords attached to the sides of it that pull the hammock out away from you, which is nice. The hennessy also has the one thing that makes it superior in my opinion, a ridge line ! The ridge line pulls the ends of the hammock together and allows for it to be hung from lower on your trees than a hammock without a ridgeline. So you don't have to reach so far up your trees to get the right hanging height. And it lets you lay flat inside the hammock because your not in the banana shape you think of , when you think of a hammock. I will let you know what I think of the other ones if you want just ask, but since the Hennessy is my 1st pick I"ll just talk about it.

It is doable in the winter. I slept down to 17 deg in mine before and regularly sleep down to the 20's. The trick that works for me is I stuff my thermarest mattress into my sleeping bag. I started out just laying my bag on top of the mat but it is kind of difficult to stay on the mat all night and if it's 20 deg you will know your off it fast. But I have the zippered model hennessy's and you just unzip it lay your sleeping bag in, unzip it and stuff your mat in it. Get in laying on top of the mat and zip up, your good. You don't have to have a thermarest either. You can use a $5 blue walmart camping pad to and work just as good. And either option is alot cheaper than a $300 underquilt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarzan View Post
Snake skins?
Snake skins are pretty much a hammock condom or sleeve. They let you put the hammock up in the rain {the snake skins are water proof} without getting your hammock wet. And they also make it easy for you to pack up when your ready to go. You just pull them down around the hammock and encase the mass of it into a small area. They are included with every hennessy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by antique41 View Post
Just another opinion. I have been backpacking about 60 years(time flies when your having fun). I'm 70 now and just did the lower half of SMNP. I use an ultralight tarp in the summer and a UL tent(1.45 lbs)in the winter. Found that my old bones don't take to a hammock too well. That and falling out of it in the middle of the night when my bladder gets me up. Also like the convenience of having my pack at hand(also use it for my pillow).
I applaud you for your time in the woods may you have many many more. I'm in my 30's and love it also. I regularly camp with guy's that are in their late 40's and 50's they all have hennesy's and say that sleeping in the hammock they wake up feeling much better than sleeping on the ground in a tent. I have to agree , mine sleeps so good I prefer it over my temperpidic mattress I have at home. And falling out of one is not possible with the side tie outs keeping it level and the bug net. I even had a friend that had partook a little to much of the whiskey one night and ended up sleeping in the bug net with the hammock above him, until we checked on him and found him upside down but still hanging. { he had not put his side anchors down is the only way he could had flipped inside it.} But I have found the best way to avoid getting up to the bathroom in the middle of the night is a bathroom nalgene bottle. I have one just for this purpose and at 0300 and 17 deg outside with 6 inches of snow on the ground and two more falling. I love the fact that I can roll over, do my business and keep my new hot water bottle in the bag with me till morning. You can even flush out the side if your careful. I also find you can get by without a pillow in a hammock or a shirt or jacket will do. Anything else I need can hang on my ridge line or in my ridge line pocket that comes with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97 Mangler View Post
I use a Hennessey Hammock with a Big Agnes bag that has the sleeping pad pocket underneath for the cold months. I find the combination very comfortable in temps into the 20's.
+ 1 . I'm in the market being a big guy of getting a large Big Agnes bag to use for myself. One of my camping buddies uses one also and says it works great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahFair View Post

The 1st step is camp maintenance. Bring a bear bag and use it and make sure you don't leave stuff laying out everywhere. 2nd is pick your spot. If your going to a place that is a pay camp spot or a easy access camping spot that see's regular human use. It is my experience those places get a lot more bear visitor's than out in the wild places. I've never seen a bear at any of the camp's I hike too. But have at car camping spots. The only animal I have rubbing up against me in the night is my German Shepard so he may help to. But if all else fails I have my 357 mag in the hammock with me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beartrkkr View Post
Just make sure you have some overhead cover somewhere (tarp, etc) if it rains or you'll be entombed in the hammock for the duration.
Same if your in a tent your just stuck. When I'm by myself I will use the large hex tarp that came with my hammock and it provides as much or more room than all but the biggest tents and I can stand up under it. When me and the wife are out I take a 12x24 ' tarp that I hang about 7 to 8 feet high and have weathered some rough storms with it in place and had a whole 24 feet of dry comfort.

I don't work for for Hennessy hammocks. I'm just giving my experience. They are a little higher than some other models but they come with everything you need where the cheaper ones don't. They also have great customer service. They helped me out on a problem I had when ordering mine { I left out something on my order sheet and the fixed it right up, after I had already placed my order.} Another friend had one of their hammocks for 11 years and the seam that held the bug net to the hammock body became separated . He called them to see if he could mail it to them for repair and he would pay for it. They told him if he would pay for shipping they would just send him a new hammock. So he did and sent the old one off to someone else and had it fixed.
They also have a sale every year around the holidays. If you buy one hammock over $130 I think they will send you a free scout hammock. Which is good for kids or wives , anyone under 200 lbs. I'll never camp in anything but a Hennessy it's just to dang comfortable.
Old 06-19-2012, 03:13 PM

Good reply General P. I'll add that if anyone is serious about trying hammock camping do as I was advised by another member here and check out hammockforums.net . Tons of good info there
Old 06-19-2012, 03:23 PM

I had never head of these til today. Great thread, and thanks for posting.
Old 06-20-2012, 10:55 AM

Quote: I even had a friend that had partook a little to much of the whiskey one night and ended up sleeping in the bug net with the hammock above him, until we checked on him and found him upside down but still hanging.

You wouldn't happen to have a picture of that would yah? I'll bet ya'll got a kick out of seeing that in the morning.