; Remington going broke. Again. - Page 2 - Georgia Outdoor News Forum

GON Magazine | GON Classifieds

Go Back   Georgia Outdoor News Forum > Firearms > Firearms, Reloading and Scopes

Old 02-10-2018, 09:48 AM

I hate it that Remington is in trouble, being an American Icon and all, but dang...when ya cut every corner possible and start putting out junk, what do you expect? Ever since the many headed Cerberus group got ahold of them it has been downhill. I wouldnt own a Remington firearm made in the last few years at this point. And am starting to shy away from any of their ammo. Luckily I reload and their brass still seems pretty decent...
Old 02-10-2018, 01:32 PM

I hope they get things ironed out.
I recall Winchester going through it's bad era and being considered a POC. They aren't what they once were but what does wear the Winchester logo is a decent firearm. And who remembers Smith and Wessons Bangor Punta days?
I'd hate to lose Remmy and Marlin.
Old 02-12-2018, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCHillbilly View Post
The same reason most folks don't buy a Mercedes or Porsche to drive to work: Because most average folks can't afford $1000 production or custom rifles. Maybe you can. Most folks can't. Actually, many of the cheaper rifles today are pretty solid and functional. I have shot a couple of the Ruger Americans and cheaper Savages that are fine shooting rifles. And you can beat them around in the woods without having a heart attack every time the stock gets scratched.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tree cutter 08 View Post
I just don't understand the cheap gun market today. Why $350 hunting rifles sell like hot cakes is beyond me. I just hate cheap made guns.
Don't get me wrong, I LOVE a well made, solid rifle. I hate that its actually kind of hard now days to find a gloss blued, deep gloss walnut stock on a hunting rifle. Weatherby is about the only maker I can think of that still does it. I have a vanguard VGX that I got on my first birthday... beautiful, well made rifle that IMO is the quintessential hunting rifle.

With that said, right now my favorite rifle to hunt with is my $400 Ruger American Predator in 308. Yeah the stock is cheap, and its rough around the edges... but man I can't talk highly enough about how the rifle SHOOTS for $400. Its a tack driving, work horse of a rifle that I'm not worried about it getting scratched up. Infact, the last time I was out it got a gouge in the plastic stock. I just took some sandpaper to it when I got home. I would have cried if that was my Weatherby. Tack on the factory threaded barrel to accept my suppressor.... shoot... I can easily see why they sell like hot cakes.

Don't even mention that guys are taking the same American Predator, but in 6.5creed, throwing cheaper scopes on them(like the Vortex Diamondback Tactical $300 scope), and for about $700-$800 they are making hits at 1000yds... its a game changer.
Old 02-12-2018, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCHillbilly View Post
Remington used to make some of the best quality firearms on earth. Old Remingtons are as good as it gets. The problems have come since they sold out to a capital management group and operate strictly for profit at all costs. The quality issues are not imaginary, they are very real.

Not even going into the rifles that would go off when you released the safety. That they tried to cover up until thousands of people complained of their rifles going off without the trigger being pulled, and they finally had to address the issue. One study found that four out of ten 700s tested went off when clicking the safety off without pulling the trigger in cold weather. Think about that a minute. Remmy knew about the problem for years, and did nothing about it until they were forced to.

I won't even buy Remington ammo now, because the last couple boxes I've bought had duds in them.
Yeah, you won't find any love for Freedom Group from me. I still cuss them for shutting down H&R, then importing el cheapos from China with the H&R stamp on them.

But, anecdotally, I've never had a problem with my newer Remingtons. My friends and family haven't had any problems either. I just have to wonder how much the interwebz has affected their reputation.

Now there are several Remingtons that I would not take if they were free. The R51 is a fine example of "profit at all cost." The 742 Jammaster lives up to its nickname. The 597 is the 742's little brother... It seems that Remington has always produced some duds. Along with some excellent rifles and shotguns.
Old 02-13-2018, 11:50 AM

and now they file for bankruptcy

http://www.foxbusiness.com/markets/2...ankruptcy.html
Old 02-13-2018, 12:02 PM

best result would be for them to come out of Chapter 11 and have someone else buy the company.. not unusual
Old 02-13-2018, 12:09 PM

Yeah, the article says the result will be that the Cerebus Capital will not be owners when it is done.
Old 02-13-2018, 01:38 PM

I bought two Savage Axis rifles just before Christmas at Dick's for $399.00 each. Weaver scope "bore sighted" and all. One shoots DECENT. The other wouldn't hit the broadside of a barn with a bass fiddle. CHEAP and my first and last Savage purchase. Old Rugers, Browning, Henry, and Kimber are what's good in my book. and to think, Remington ran Marlin in the ditch as well. The times they are a changin'........................
"John 3:16"
Old 02-13-2018, 01:44 PM

Will this affect Marlin? They just brought back the 1894 in .357...... with a threaded barrel.
Old 02-13-2018, 01:56 PM

Cerebus will have zero tolerance of failure to meet performance in a Ch11. They will force them to liquidate.
Old 02-13-2018, 09:46 PM

Hopefully a company of the quality of FN will start producing Remington's, and reboot the brand. I have a couple of the FN produced Winchesters, and they are the finest Winchesters I've ever seen, old or new.
Old 02-13-2018, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oppthepop View Post
I bought two Savage Axis rifles just before Christmas at Dick's for $399.00 each. Weaver scope "bore sighted" and all. One shoots DECENT. The other wouldn't hit the broadside of a barn with a bass fiddle. CHEAP and my first and last Savage purchase. Old Rugers, Browning, Henry, and Kimber are what's good in my book. and to think, Remington ran Marlin in the ditch as well. The times they are a changin'........................
A friend of mine went through two of them before he gave up. Bought a 243 axis for his wife, wouldnít shoot less than 4 inches at 100yds. Factory ammo or handloads made no difference. Second one was about the same.

He ended up cutting his losses and pawned the second one. Funny, but he bought a 700 in 243 and it shoots real well. It had the new trigger in it, so no issue there. Told him to look at other rifles, he didnít and it worked out for him in the end.

The savage axis is right on par with the Remington.... 787? Canít remember what their cheap rifle was, but another friend had one and the plastic magazine kept falling out, hitting the ground and busting into pieces.

Ruger American... canít sugggest them enough. Especially now that they have the detachable AR mag versions out. Some folks had issues with the rotary mags, but mine has been flawless.
Old 02-13-2018, 11:45 PM

Just give me my old 336 Marlins, my M77 Rugers, and my Model 70 Winchesters... I am set.
Old 02-14-2018, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chase4556 View Post
A friend of mine went through two of them before he gave up. Bought a 243 axis for his wife, wouldn’t shoot less than 4 inches at 100yds. Factory ammo or handloads made no difference. Second one was about the same.

He ended up cutting his losses and pawned the second one. Funny, but he bought a 700 in 243 and it shoots real well. It had the new trigger in it, so no issue there. Told him to look at other rifles, he didn’t and it worked out for him in the end.

The savage axis is right on par with the Remington.... 787? Can’t remember what their cheap rifle was, but another friend had one and the plastic magazine kept falling out, hitting the ground and busting into pieces.

Ruger American... can’t sugggest them enough. Especially now that they have the detachable AR mag versions out. Some folks had issues with the rotary mags, but mine has been flawless.
I bought an ADL 308 awhile back from Academy and it’s a shooter. I was hoping for 1 moa at 100 yards and it beat that! Before I took delivery Academy made me look the gun over, and boy did I ever. I honestly spent a good 10-15 mins going over every square inch of the gun, worked the bolt, did every inspection I could think of as if I was buying a used gun. Couldn’t find a thing wrong with it, I was thinking maybe I’d lucked out and gotten a gun made on Wednesday I wouldn’t take many chances on current Remington guns, but the ADL still seems to be solid as ever and for $359 it’s hard to turn your nose up at. Bolt is every bit as smooth as any of my higher end rifles. I had an ADL 270 I bought back in 04 and this gun is every bit as good as it was. Main reason I had to go with the ADL is they don’t chamber 308 in the BDL and to me the SPS wasn’t worth $500 compared to the ADL, especially when I don’t mind internal magazines.