GON Magazine | GON Classifieds

Go Back   Georgia Outdoor News Forum > Birds, Birds and More Birds > Turkey Talk

View Poll Results: Would you hunt turkey with a .410?
Yes! 17 40.48%
No Way! 16 38.10%
Never really thought about it? 9 21.43%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-22-2016, 03:38 PM

I have seen my dad kill plenty of turkeys graveyard dead with a Stevens bolt action 410 and winchester 3inch #4s.a lot farther than you would believe it shoots like a rifle.
Old 08-22-2016, 10:42 PM

Come on guys. This is an 11 year old thread. Hal and TSS have changed the game in sub gauges. They can now hold patterns to 50yds.
Old 08-23-2016, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KentuckyHeadhunter View Post
A lot of guys hunt turkeys with a .410 I can assure you. Also remember a .410 is not a gauge. It's a caliber. The smallest gauge is a 28.

If I remember correctly from my hunter safety days, years ago, it would be a 67 gauge. The number of lead balls the diameter of the bore that it takes to make a pound.
Old 08-23-2016, 04:48 PM

Mark I stand corrected. I was just naming the smallest one I could think of. Someone else mentioned a 32 and ive never heard of that either.
Old 08-23-2016, 04:50 PM

Man in the late 70's and 80's I wished I had a 12ga that would pattern as good as my Yildiz 410!!!
Old 08-23-2016, 04:51 PM

A guy who field tests my calls only uses a .410 and he killed five turkeys this year in two states using my scratch box.
Attached Images

Old 08-23-2016, 05:23 PM

Quote:
A guy who field tests my calls only uses a .410 and he killed five turkeys this year in two states using my scratch box.
Looks like a guys Yildiz O/U 410 from low country Georgia!!!!
Old 08-23-2016, 05:29 PM

Nope that one is in Kansas/Missouri.
Old 08-24-2016, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Nope that one is in Kansas/Missouri.
That's a good looking gun, was thinking about getting one in a 28 Ga. The good thing about Yildiz O/U's is, if the barrel's are not regulated close for poa/poi. Briley chokes in Texas does their warranty service, and will rethread them to change the poa/poi.
Old 08-24-2016, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawglips View Post
I would if I had to. I figure it will do fine as long as you keep it mighty close. Not a whole lot of lead in those shells.

Hal
There is no lead at all in the ones I kill turkeys with...

Yep, times sure do change.

"It's far easier than you think to manipulate a nation of naive, self-absorbed sheep..." ~Congressman X
Old 08-24-2016, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Roberts View Post
Looks like a guys Yildiz O/U 410 from low country Georgia!!!!
Looks like 13/16 oz of 9-1/2s....

"It's far easier than you think to manipulate a nation of naive, self-absorbed sheep..." ~Congressman X
Old 08-25-2016, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawglips View Post
There is no lead at all in the ones I kill turkeys with...

Yep, times sure do change.

thought u might get a kick out of the post.
Old 09-07-2016, 06:23 AM

I have too much respect for the bird. 410 poses zero additional challenge when compared to a 20 or 12. If you want to kill closer, call them in closer (or, sigh, put your decoy closer). My issue is why handicap yourself if you wound a bird and need a follow up shot that puts it down. I mean down. I feel a 410 should be outlawed for turkeys simply due to the fact it is flat out not enough gun. Will it kill them? Sure. Can you make that follow up shot on a wounded bird with the same efficiency as a larger bore. No. Are you risking a wounded bird to a greater degree? Absolutely. To me, it is the opposite of sporting.
Old 09-08-2016, 08:17 PM

With TSS I see no problem.

I've seen .410s with TSS out pattern 12s with lead at 40.
Old 09-09-2016, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMB View Post
I have too much respect for the bird. ...I feel a 410 should be outlawed for turkeys simply due to the fact it is flat out not enough gun.
The .410 isn't enough gun, unless you have it loaded with the good stuff. My current .410 rig performs better than my 12 ga rig back when I was shooting 1-7/8 oz of lead 4s.

Unless one is swinging the gun at the turkey, it's not the gun that does the killing, but what comes out of the gun....

Old 09-09-2016, 10:06 AM

Quote:
I have too much respect for the bird. 410 poses zero additional challenge when compared to a 20 or 12. If you want to kill closer, call them in closer (or, sigh, put your decoy closer). My issue is why handicap yourself if you wound a bird and need a follow up shot that puts it down. I mean down. I feel a 410 should be outlawed for turkeys simply due to the fact it is flat out not enough gun. Will it kill them? Sure. Can you make that follow up shot on a wounded bird with the same efficiency as a larger bore. No. Are you risking a wounded bird to a greater degree? Absolutely. To me, it is the opposite of sporting.

Are you shootings past 40 yards?
Old 09-09-2016, 10:12 AM

Quote:
The same argument about a "second" shot being more efficient and therefore "not the opposite of sporting"can be applied against anyone shooting a 10, 12, 16, 20 or 28 gauge single-shot. While a single-shot can be reloaded quickly, there's no argument that a pump, auto or double can deliver a second shot far quicker than a single-shot. But I don't adhere to that argument anymore than I feel that today's .410 shooting today's TSS load is a suspect gun and load for a turkey shot at ethical ranges. The late author Kenny Morgan killed lots of turkeys, including some with a .410. But to do so, he reportedly often shot a double-triggered .410 SXS with a cork between the front and rear trigger so that when he pulled the front trigger, both barrels fired. He was shooting lead. Today, such is not needed to efficiently and reliably kill a turkey with a .410 at ranges once considered the ethical maximum for a 12 gauge shooting lead. YMMV. Gil
Old 06-11-2017, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLS View Post
The same argument about a "second" shot being more efficient and therefore "not the opposite of sporting"can be applied against anyone shooting a 10, 12, 16, 20 or 28 gauge single-shot. While a single-shot can be reloaded quickly, there's no argument that a pump, auto or double can deliver a second shot far quicker than a single-shot. But I don't adhere to that argument anymore than I feel that today's .410 shooting today's TSS load is a suspect gun and load for a turkey shot at ethical ranges. The late author Kenny Morgan killed lots of turkeys, including some with a .410. But to do so, he reportedly often shot a double-triggered .410 SXS with a cork between the front and rear trigger so that when he pulled the front trigger, both barrels fired. He was shooting lead. Today, such is not needed to efficiently and reliably kill a turkey with a .410 at ranges once considered the ethical maximum for a 12 gauge shooting lead. YMMV. Gil
First time I wish I had a second shot this year after that ammo failure
Old 06-11-2017, 04:13 PM

Laws are for the stupid people the rest the world just puts up with.
Old 06-17-2017, 11:03 PM

Been shooting TSS over the last 2 years. Have kilt birds out to 43 yards. Closest was 20. All dead without a flap. Just plain smoked.

I think many who said no in the poll probably haven't experienced the knockdown power of #9 TSS and just can't quite digest the thought of shooting #9's through a small bore at such a big bird. TSS ain't magical, but it hits mighty hard.

I have a fixed choke Mossberg 410 pump with a factory fixed full choke. Bought it with the hope that it'd pattern well using TSS. It didn't, so I've kept hunting with my 20.

Needing to decide whether to send the barrel off to Sumtoy and get tubes (which would probably cost more than the gun did). Other options are to buy a 870 in 410 or load for my 28 gauge O/U.

Will likely end up going the 28 route, but after loading and shooting the Mossberg if I could tweak the pattern just a little I could be pretty comfortable from 30 in with it (and I'm generally pretty conservative about such things).