GON Magazine | GON Classifieds

Go Back   Georgia Outdoor News Forum > Woody's Campfire Talk > Gear Review
Notices

Old 01-12-2012, 04:05 PM

Im a flashaholic and have about 5 really nice flashlights.

4sevens are the best for the price and the company is based in Georgia. I have a quark mini cr123 very bright and has a good wide throw and i also have a quark 123 ^2 tactical very very bright for the size. To get the best results get a fenix head band which allows you to use the light hands free great for the woods! One of the many many great things about these lights is you can select which intensity mode you want from .5 lumens good for looking in your hunting pack with out spooking game and turbo or high which allows you to re create the sun.lol

jet beam makes a good light, bit high tho. I have a BC40 and its about the length of a 2 d mag light with spot light performance!
cost 75 bucks but will last my life time and probably my daughters!
Old 02-19-2012, 08:14 PM

My wife says i need another flashlight like i need a hole in my head. I would bet i have more than anyone else. I should be ashamed , not braggin. I love my surefire G2s in LED. I have just bought a surefire Fury, 130.00 , it has 500 lumens, and runs for 1 1/2 hrs. Thats high, on low it will run 46 hrs with 15 lumens. I bought a Tactical 5.11 at Bass pro 25.00 a wonderful little light, pen style. These work well for me. Scott
Old 02-20-2012, 01:48 AM
Big spider lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormduncan View Post
Anyone have any suggestions on a good hunting flashlight that's very bright and compact?
I have the Atac A2 by 5.11 tactical. It's the brightest AA flashlight i could find. Very high quality light.
Old 02-20-2012, 02:00 AM
DOCTOR LUV

Quote:
Originally Posted by crowslayer View Post
browning makes a good light, but i forget whats its called

Browning Tactical. Little pricey ($75), but compact and VERY bright. They do eat up some batteries though.
Old 04-07-2012, 05:21 AM

mag light has some new amazing LED. Grandermountain also has goodones
Old 04-07-2012, 11:38 AM

We use these at work where it is dark half the year, Underwater Kinetics 4AA LED. They work great and are bright! Hope that helps.

John I.
Attached Images

Old 04-30-2012, 10:48 PM

best money ive ever spent on an LED light was a Quark. its at 4sevens.com ive bought 3 or 4 from that website. i think the company is based out of atlanta but the lights are foreign-made.
Old 05-07-2012, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semi-Pro View Post
4Sevens, best light I ever did see, plus 10 yr warranty. Took me several months to decide but i am glad i did.

4Sevens Quark AAČ Turbo

200+ lumins, AA batteries, and a 10 year warranty for under $50.
Old 05-09-2012, 07:40 PM

I checked out several tactical light forums and got the STREAMLIGHT PT2AA. It takes 2 regular "AA" batteries. One guy said he had over $500 in tactical lights and for the money this was the best. It has a tempered glass lens and a perfect smooth mirror reflector. It has bright, drive you nuts pulse, and dim settings. It burns around 1hr and 45min bright and goes out fast. You wont be tempted to wait a little longer; which I like. Just keep some cheap AA's around and you'll love it. These are about $40 on Amazon.
Ezek 33:11 ... I take no pleasure in the death of wicked people. I only want them to turn from their wicked ways so they can live."
2Peter 3:9 The Lord is...not willing that any should perish but that all should come to repentance."
John 3:16
Old 09-19-2012, 04:17 PM

I will agree on the 4sevens & Quark .Try the Quark X123 2.It is small and very bright around 360 lumens .I have a couple of their lights and you won't be dissappointed.They usse the CR123 batteries and if you look around you can find these batteries for under $1.50 a piece,which is not bad for the performance you get out of these lights.
Old 09-20-2012, 10:20 PM
Default No Way

No way I'd buy anything that uses rechargeable batteries or speciality batteries. I have had nothing but trouble with rechargeables and speciality batteries are both hard to find (if you can find them at all after the product gets a few years on it) as well as exspensive. I can always find standard batteries easily and cheap .... early in the morning or any old store has my batteries. I usually keep a good supply of them. I buy them by the bulk at Academy Sports.
Old 09-21-2012, 12:04 AM

A great light for $37.00 including 2 batteries, a charger and a holster. Very bright. http://allprooptics.3dcartstores.com...-900_p_96.html
Old 09-30-2012, 11:59 PM

maglite xl50 is a good flash light AAA batteries too!!! almost as bright as my 3D led
Old 10-01-2012, 05:39 PM

Cr123a are at battery junction for .98 c vs. $5.
titanium innovations
Old 10-01-2012, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whchunter View Post
No way I'd buy anything that uses rechargeable batteries or speciality batteries. I have had nothing but trouble with rechargeables and speciality batteries are both hard to find (if you can find them at all after the product gets a few years on it) as well as exspensive. I can always find standard batteries easily and cheap .... early in the morning or any old store has my batteries. I usually keep a good supply of them. I buy them by the bulk at Academy Sports.
That's a very good point. I try to buy my stuff that uses regular batteries that can easily bought and found, making the item cheaper to use.
Old 10-01-2012, 07:59 PM
Default So I have a flashlight system...

sick of the maglite bulbs burning out, so switched to a LED minmag - it lasted two weekends, replaced the batteries, nothing. I am also tired of lites that have to screw on (mini mag heads or surefire tailcaps). So those have all become house/truck/camper lights. A two handed light is a pain when you are carrying a gun, treestand, etc.

For hunting I have a three light system - a $15 Rayovac (only seen at Home Depot) that runs on 2AA (meaning available anywhere) has 100 lumens on the high setting and 18 lumens on the low setting. Did I mention that it was $15? This has also become our nightstand light.

http://www.rayovac.com/Products/Ligh...lashlight.aspx

I back this up with a Streamlight Polytech (replaces my Surefire G2) which has a clicky tailcap (no twisting) and 120 lumens. This is for finding the late night deer or that treestand that your buddy swore he hung just over the ridge and a Ray Charles could find it in the dark. Also would be good for momentarly blinding bigfoot if you need to escape.

Lastly, a cheap LED bill light that is great for rummaging through your back, climbing trees, gutting and cooking dinner on the grill!

BTW, got my Polytech at BPS for $50 with a gift card, I see Amazon has them for about $35.

Good luck with whatever you do, we are fortunate to have so many good choices at decent prices these days.
Old 10-01-2012, 09:01 PM

Y'all might laugh but I just bought a second $14 Rayovac led light at Home Depot. To me the name Rayovac does not conjure up thoughts of quality but I have had the first one over a year and have been impressed by the brightness and quality of the unit. 2 x AA batteries make it cheap to operate. I think that it is about 100 Lumens. Works for me and if I lose it I won't lose much sleep.
Old 10-03-2012, 02:25 PM

I have a Rayovac Sportsman light that has 180 lumens and 3 C batteries. Will last a long time. I want one with only 2C's and about 100 lumens for super long runtime, does anyone know of one?
Old 10-04-2012, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JUSTO & BELLA View Post
i have a coleman 144 lumens light from walmart. use 3 triple a batteries. every time someone hunts with me and i turn it on they are really surprised a cheap flashlight can be that bright. everyone who sees it, they go and buy one.
This one. I bought it on a whem just to have in the boat as we were going gator hunting. Didn't need anything bright since we would have a big spot light. Turned out to be the brightest light on the boat other than the spot light. I was spotting gators 400 yards away. The batteries lasted all night running almost continuosly too. I was so impressed I went and bought a coule more when I returned home. One for my pack, one for my boat and one for my truck.
Old 10-04-2012, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy View Post
This one. I bought it on a whem just to have in the boat as we were going gator hunting. Didn't need anything bright since we would have a big spot light. Turned out to be the brightest light on the boat other than the spot light. I was spotting gators 400 yards away. The batteries lasted all night running almost continuosly too. I was so impressed I went and bought a coule more when I returned home. One for my pack, one for my boat and one for my truck.
X2

I have 3 different versions of the coleman lights and you can't hardly beat them for the money.
I did notice some lights at Sears that were Dorcy's if I remember right, I think I'm going to try one of them out next!
Old 10-04-2012, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justo & bella View Post
i have a coleman 144 lumens light from walmart. Use 3 triple a batteries. Every time someone hunts with me and i turn it on they are really surprised a cheap flashlight can be that bright. Everyone who sees it, they go and buy one.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^this
Old 10-04-2012, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jranger View Post
I will shortly...
Picked up a 1000 lumen led flashlight on ebay the other day for $22. Takes a special rechargeable battery that I have to buy, but they aren't very expensive. The light has the new Cree xm-l T6 led. Supposed to be the brightest out there, up to 250m. Will let you know when I get it in...
that's a awesome light I have it also.. There is a combo kit also available
Old 10-06-2012, 04:25 PM

[quote=jeshoffstall;7252458] For hunting I have a three light system - a $15 Rayovac (only seen at Home Depot) that runs on 2AA (meaning available anywhere) has 100 lumens on the high setting and 18 lumens on the low setting. Did I mention that it was $15? This has also become our nightstand light.

http://www.rayovac.com/Products/Ligh...lashlight.aspx

QUOTE]

X2. This is a great light and plenty bright. Very durable. I have one for hunting and we also keep on our night stand.
Old 10-11-2012, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadestroyer74 View Post
that's a awesome light I have it also.. There is a combo kit also available
Is this is?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1000LM-Lumen...&forceRpt=true

Seems like a good deal.
Old 10-13-2012, 12:32 AM

A good way to know for sure is to read the reviews on Amazon. Although it's made in China, probably at the same factory as some of your lights more than a 20 times more in cost. This one has great reviews. CREE LED and 300 lumens for less than $6 with free shipping. I'd order 2 just in case you got a lemon.
Here's the link:http://goo.gl/6tZcP