Grunting for worms

Duramax

Have any of ya'll on here ever grunted for worms? Or even know what grunting for worms is?

It is where you drive a piece of wood in the ground and take a hand saw and run the back of the blade over the piece of wood to make a grunting sound. It is supposed to make worms come to the surface of the ground.

Just curious...

FERAL ONE

Shutter Mushin' Mod
duramax, i have but we drove the stake in the ground and hit it with a smaller one to make it vibrate. worms think it is raining and come to the surface. been forever and a day ago !!! the best thing i ever used was a deal my grandad had which looked like 2 screwdrivers. one had a hot wire and one had a neutral wire. you stick them in the ground about 6 feet apart and the worms RAN out of the ground!!!

the stick thing we called tickling.

disclaimer **** this will kill you if you do not know what you are doing!!! that is the reason this ain't on the market anymore !!! if you make one of these by yourself, your obituary will read ------ NEVER MIND WHAT KILLED HIM, WE ARE ALL BETTER OFF!!!!

Last edited:

No. GA. Mt. Man

Gone But Not Forgotten
I think most any kind of vibration will do the trick.

lott

i done it with my dad some 30 years ago.dont ever hear of it any more.we would drive a stake in the ground and rub a flat rock over the stake to make the vibration.seems like the best places to do it was the grassey areas around churches.best if it has some partial shade&sun

Snakeman

I didn't know you could buy worms at the store until I was about 12 years old. Dad would take us out before daylight and we would grunt worms until it started to get warm in the morning. We used a wooden stake (usually a broken axe handle that had been sharpened to a point on one end), and a brick. It had to be an old, solid brick. The "new" ones with the holes in them wouldn't work.

I have never been able to grunt worms as good as Dad could. Just another thing that I didn't pay close enough attention to........

The Snakeman

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
grunting pond worms

Drive stakes where you see worm sign. Little doodles on the surface where they fed at night. Rub the stake with a brick until worms appear. I believe they think it's a mole coming so the run to the surface. If you're lazy, just crank a big tractor and leave it running in a good place and they'll come up too.

patchestc

used to grunt 'em up in the cow pasture when i was a kid.
we called it a stob, and rubbed it with a brick. i think the vibrations tickled 'em and drove 'em to the surface. almost
as much fun as fishing. my kids think i'm making it up.

holton27596

we rubbed the stick with the head of an ax. Ive heard that placing a running chainsaw on the ground will also work, but havent tried that. I have seen a device sold that you put into the ground that sends a mild current into the ground that is supposed to work well.

Bill Brown

My Father had a home-made device that was two rods (with wood handles) that were inserted into the ground and hooked to a car battery. It worked.

georgiaboy

I still do it at my parents pond if they run out of meal worms. I am too sorry to bring my own worms, so I use the ones that conveniently live about 10 feet from the dock! I haven't used the brick method, but I have tapped sticks and also "doodled" like you used to do for doodle bugs. :cool:

Derek Edge

I'm sorry to say, but we found the best places to grunt worms were churches and their cemetaries. We use to get a pail load of those things at a time.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
I didn't know you could buy worms at the store until I was about 12 years old. Dad would take us out before daylight and we would grunt worms until it started to get warm in the morning. We used a wooden stake (usually a broken axe handle that had been sharpened to a point on one end), and a brick. It had to be an old, solid brick. The "new" ones with the holes in them wouldn't work.

I have never been able to grunt worms as good as Dad could. Just another thing that I didn't pay close enough attention to........

The Snakeman

Yep, it works well!! Still does too!

Dixiesimpleman32

GONetwork Member
I used to do it when i was a kid.dont really have time to do it now unless im showing someone it works.my brother still does it.fish on.

ellaville hunter

a piece of wood and a brick is all you need or crank a chain saw and just set it on the ground and here they come it is the vibration that does it

Buck

Never grunted any worms, but... :offtopic: I have caught many a Spring Lizards at night with a coat hanger tipped with night crawler. Some really good times back then… In fact, I think I’ll show the kids how to do that this summer…

Last edited:

the HEED!

Banned
see thats what great about this site, there is all kind of outdoor knowledge dispersed daily to people that had no idea, I always just used a hoe and turned over my grandads garden patch, worms a plenty

Sargent

I remember my grandpa doing this, but I have never heard it referred to by "grunting".

I have to say, though... this gets my vote for the funniest topic title ever.