Old 03-13-2007, 05:14 PM

Default Campsites on trout stream

Looking to do some camping in North GA on or within walking distance of some good trout streams. There will be about 6 to 8 of us any body got any favorites they don't mind sharing? Would like to be able to camp next to the truck instead of walking in and leaving my truck.
Old 03-13-2007, 05:16 PM

Coopers or Rock.
When I joined the PSA
I thought it was The
Poke Salit Association
Old 03-13-2007, 06:19 PM

Chattahoochie River north of Helen in the National Forest. Many places that you can camp right on the water and be just a matter of yards from your vehicle.
Old 03-13-2007, 06:47 PM

If you are closer to NW Ga, then you might look towards the pocket, which is located near Armurchie, above Rome. No real huge trout but they stock it regular. It is in Johns Mountain WMA.
Old 03-13-2007, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokey View Post
Chattahoochie River north of Helen in the National Forest. Many places that you can camp right on the water and be just a matter of yards from your vehicle.
Been here at this one it is awesome. But then found a better place the other side of the river, the locals told of it not in the Park.
Old 03-13-2007, 08:15 PM

Ok cool I guy I work with was telling me something about Jones creek or something close to the Ranger Camp. Anybody ever been there.
Old 03-13-2007, 08:30 PM

Jones is a smaller creek. it's just north of Dahlonega near Ranger Camp Frank D. Merrill. There are a few streams in that area so you could fish multiple places. I'd guess you could be at your campsite 30 minutes from Dahlonega. 6-8 people you may want bigger water. in my younger days I would go to the headwaters of Jones and Montgomery where they formed the Etowah. No car camping at this remote spot. I would get a map of the Chattahoochee National Forest and find places where you have bigger water, National Forest land and a forest service rd nearby. Deep Hole campground on the Toccoa is near Coopers Creek where you could hit both, just north of Dahlonega, maybe 40 minutes.Also near Coopers Creek and just past Deep Hole is a forest service rd( the first one)that takes you down near the Toccoa in a remote section with a swinging bridge thats very cool scenery, hiking and fishing. Tickanetly is small but fun to fish,stocked I think, Noontootla will test you and your car getting there but it's very remote for car camping, smaller fishing water and not stocked.Awesome scenery. Rock Creek if it's not covered up, same with Dick's Creek near Turners corner, where you could also hit the Chestatee River. The Hiawassee River is bigger water and has car camping spots, plus other water to hit nearby...another smaller but neat spot is Raper Creek , also downstream from camping spots is a huge waterfall,few know about other than locals. Raper is near mark of the potter. ..sorry can't give you all my honey holes....good luck

Last edited by westcobbdog; 03-13-2007 at 08:43 PM.
Old 03-13-2007, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by olered View Post
Ok cool I guy I work with was telling me something about Jones creek or something close to the Ranger Camp. Anybody ever been there.
Know that Jones is artificial only and is not stocked, unless it has changed the last few years. I did catch an 18 inch Brown out of there several years ago.

Nimblewill creek has some good campsites further up the creek and is not too far from Jones creek. It and Montgomerey Creek are fairly close to Jones.

One of the best places to go, but is usually crowded and further away from Marietta is Wildcat creek, but is one of the best looking creeks in the state and has some big campgrounds and a couple of big waterfalls.
Old 03-13-2007, 09:47 PM

Cool thanks yall and all 8 aren't gonna fish the ladies will probably lay in the sun or something while the us boys go and fish.
Old 03-14-2007, 04:11 AM

Noontootla Creek just outside Ellijay is wonderful. Has some campsites where the trail crosses. It is a trophy only stream and artificial only. Can use spinners not limited to flies. (see link) I have fished it many times and not unusual at all to get at least a 14 - 16 inch brown or rainbow per trip, and have landed several over 20". Also you can catch some small brook trout there, and if you hike up some of the feeder streams it is brookie heaven. Small ones but numerous.

http://www.trails.com/tcatalog_trail...lid=XFA050-018