GON Magazine | GON Marketplace

Go Back   Georgia Outdoor News Forum > Woody's Campfire Talk > Outdoor Facts, History, and Oddities of Nature

Old 11-11-2007, 10:43 AM

Default Fat wood

I drug home about a 40 pound piece of fat wood today. is there anything special I need to do to keep it usable or can i just leave it next to the fire pit and just cut off a piece when I need it to light a fire? I figure by Home Depot standards I probably got about $200 worth for free

gw
Old 11-11-2007, 10:53 AM

just bust up into small pieces...great for starting a fire, but be careful about burning to much, it can and does add to buildup inside your chimney.......
Old 11-11-2007, 11:37 AM

when I first heard about "fatwood" upon moving up here, I was kinda skeptical- a wood that burns with just a match? Lighter wood? My old 8th grade Ag teacher said its was "good stuff"!
I thought it was another teacher trick- They sent me to go get a "left hand hand saw" from the vocational wing- which I promptly did (that one put them on guard)- a skyhook- which I did, I had one in the truck, and asked them where they wanted to mount it- then asked me about snipe hunting, to which I replied "why would anyone hunt little snipe marsh birds?" A can of compressed air- had one of those too-use it for filling tires-I wasn't fun for them at all. (then the Ag teacher failed me anyway for being a smart alec).

Once we found out what lighter wood was, I got every single chunk within a mile of Pops house- boy, that stuff burned HOT! and no more gas/kerosene tinder to get the fireplace going in the winter!..but I sure did miss the WHOOOMMMP of a good gas fire exploding.

[COLOR="Red] Edited for typing around the censor. [/color]
Old 11-11-2007, 11:40 AM

If you are using in a pit, i am assuming you will be outside. Pine Lighter (fat wood) will weather as good as anything. No need to cut up unless you want to. Just cut off what you need when you need it. Clent
Old 11-11-2007, 11:43 AM

yeah, we don't have a fireplace, but do have a fire pit outside.

gw
Old 11-11-2007, 12:56 PM

If you are going to refer to this material, you may as well learn the real name for it. The term is "lightwood". This is derived from the fact that this rich, resin filled wood was first used as torches to furnish light before lanterns and flashlights existed.

It was first used as a means of shining the eyes of deer when hunting at night. This is where the term "fire hunting" was derived.

In areas where pine forests prevailed, the term lightwood was shortened to "lightood" with the w silent or completely left off. The wood ultimately became known to most country folks as "lightard." Out of respect for country folks, please do not call it lighterwood or fat wood. It makes you appear to be a novice.

Best way to process the wood is to take a chainsaw and block it up in 12 inch long blocks then split the block into "splinters" to use as you need them.
Old 11-11-2007, 01:47 PM

Mr. Vernon, I'm glad you stated the use of the word,"lightard". That is what I grew up calling it. And the only thing I could add to your post is to tell him to clean the bar on the chainsaw after cutting lightard. It will surely gum up the bar as the resin heats up during the cutting. At least it always has with me. May want spray WD40 on it liberally prior to cutting.
Old 11-11-2007, 03:05 PM

I'm quite sure y'all er talkin bout rich pine, right.
Old 11-11-2007, 03:11 PM

Sorry, just thought more folks would know what I was talking about if I called it that. Henceforth it will be refered to as lightood. I grew up hearing it called fire starter.
gw
Old 11-11-2007, 03:14 PM
Banned

We had a drought in SE Georgia along about 1980. There was a tract of land on our club that hadn't been timbered in 75 years or so, and it dried up enough that they were able to get into it, but they still had to pull up some dirt, and build some raised roads.

The shoulders were covered with old, old lightered stumps. I filled up a PU truck in a little less than 2 hours, just picking it up and throw it in. Burned nothing but lighter that winter, felt like the richest man in the world. A little bit goes a long way in a fireplace.
Old 11-11-2007, 03:51 PM

Exclamation

we aways called it fat lighter --- & still do----
Old 11-11-2007, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLS View Post
we aways called it fat lighter --- & still do----
That's what I've always called it .
Old 11-11-2007, 07:05 PM

Fat lighter, Only name I've ever used. Thats what my grandfather told me the name was 50 years ago.
Old 11-11-2007, 09:27 PM

Fat lighter is the name for it in these parts.You would get some strange looks asking for "lightwood"
Old 11-11-2007, 09:33 PM

always heard it called lighter and/or lighter wood.
Old 11-12-2007, 06:22 AM

" splinters" or " lighter", sometimes "fat lighter", thats what my Grand Daddy & Grand Mother always said
Old 11-12-2007, 07:53 AM
Administrator

I have called it fat lighter. I usually take a Machete, and split it long ways into strips and then break those long strips into smaller pieces.
Old 11-12-2007, 01:36 PM

we called it lighterknot, since i was big enough to drag it through the woods, so i guess we will keep on
Old 11-12-2007, 03:58 PM

lighter pine
Old 11-12-2007, 07:45 PM

just be aware ,not all fatlighter is created equal. look for the one that actually feels sticky after its cut.the higher the pitch content the easier its lights and stays lit,and the hotter it burns.
Old 11-13-2007, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jav View Post
we called it lighterknot, since i was big enough to drag it through the woods, so i guess we will keep on
Same here,maybe cause we are in the same county.My grandpaw had been here since the teens and that's what he called it.
Old 11-13-2007, 12:50 PM

Default "Fat Literd"

That's what I’ve called it all my life. Sure lights easy and makes a hot fire. Reminds me of a time back in the mid 80's up at Fort Bragg. My old unit, 2nd Btln/10th Marines out of Camp Lejuene, NC, would go up there every year to qualify with the 105 mm towed howitzers. Never in the summer, always winter.

The last time I went was a particularly cold February and the old diesel fired heater in the maintenance tent just wasn’t up to task. I and a fellow Marine from NY went out in the woods looking for some different “fuel” to put in the stove. We can across a whole fallen tree that had completely turned to “literd”. We both got arm loads and high-tailed it back to camp.

I snuffed out the diesel fire, pulled the burner out with some welding gloves, and stuffed the little stove with the “fat literd”. Needles to say, in about twenty minutes, that little stove was red hot and standing up on one leg. We were all warm and toasty ‘till someone outside yelled in that the “boot” up top was smoking and melting. A bucket of water into the stove brought the flue temp back down, and we slept with no heat that night.
Old 11-13-2007, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vernon Holt View Post
If you are going to refer to this material, you may as well learn the real name for it. The term is "lightwood". This is derived from the fact that this rich, resin filled wood was first used as torches to furnish light before lanterns and flashlights existed.

It was first used as a means of shining the eyes of deer when hunting at night. This is where the term "fire hunting" was derived.

In areas where pine forests prevailed, the term lightwood was shortened to "lightood" with the w silent or completely left off. The wood ultimately became known to most country folks as "lightard." Out of respect for country folks, please do not call it lighterwood or fat wood. It makes you appear to be a novice.

Best way to process the wood is to take a chainsaw and block it up in 12 inch long blocks then split the block into "splinters" to use as you need them.
also known as fat lighter
Old 11-13-2007, 04:05 PM

fat wood, lighter wood, fat lighter, lighter knot...
Old 11-13-2007, 04:09 PM
60Grit

I have a piece of fatwood stump that I have kept outside for 8 years now. Whenever I need some I just split off a little.