Same shot at different zoom settings or...

ronfritz

...how does the Sigma 120-300mm lens work with teleconverters (1.4, 2.0 or both).

Between reading about Smokey's interest in a telephoto lens (one more time....I'm sorry Smokey about that misinformation I gave you on the accessory flash :banginghe:banginghe:banginghe), Deedly's interest in a camera to get some good deer shots and then Rips first shots with his repaired 600mm, Hoss' fun in the deerstand with his Bigma and I couldn't help getting out to play a little at lunch today.

I've been wanting to see how the Sigma 120-300mm worked with both the Sigma 1.4 and 2.0 teleconverters installed at the same time. By my calculation that makes 840mm maximum zoom. As long as I was at it, I figured I'd take a series of shots at different zoom settings so that folks might have some idea of how 'close' they could get to one of those far off deer with various zoom settings. One thing I don't know is how to translate the 840mm focal length into the 10x or whatever optical zoom numbers usually quoted here for point and shoots. Maybe somebody's been down that path already and can lend their assistance in that regard. My guess is that my 840mm translates to almost 17x (assumes 50mm is 1x).

For the techies, one thing I didn't do is switch to manual metering mode to keep exposure consistent.... but it did occur to me on about the fourth picture though :) I used autofocus for all the shots except for the one where I used both TC's together (i.e. the seventh and eighth pictures in this series)

I set up the camera on my big Bogen tripod and pan head. I used the mirror lockup and a cable release. I say that to make sure that folks understand that there is no way I could get pictures as sharp as these if I were hand holding the camera especially in dim light which is probably when most of those deer shots would be taken. All this is not to say that there's no point in trying, its just my way of giving credit to the gear required aside from a camera or lens. If I was going to shoot from a stand, I'd make sure I had a good place to rest the camera or take some shooting sticks and use them as a makeshift tripod. You'd still get more blur from camera movement than with a nice tripod and a cable release but if you take enough you're bound to get some good ones. By the way, the cable release is another relatively cheap item that more than pays for itself in terms of getting the sharpest pictures possible. If you don't have one or if your camera doesn't have a cable release option, you could use the camera's timer to trigger the shutter without touching the camera but that's probably not so practical when it comes to critter shots.

The only other thing I can think of saying is that these were all sharpened and de-noised in post processing using the exact same steps each time. The very last in the sequence has NO post processing so that you can get some sense for how much Photoshop helped in sharpening these up.

They're all taken with a Nikon D200 DSLR with a Sigma 120-300mm f2.8 zoom and teleconverters (TC).

First shot - no TC, zoom set to 120mm
Second shot - no TC, zoom set to 200mm
Third shot - no TC, zoom set to 300mm (35mm equivalent of 450mm)
Fourth shot - 1.4x TC, zoom set to 420mm
Fifth shot - 2.0x TC, zoom set to 500mm
Sixth shot - 2.0x TC, zoom set to 600mm
Seventh shot - 2.0x and 1.4x TC, zoom set to 840mm (no autofocus)
Seventh shot - same as seven but no 'post processing magic' applied

Distance to truck was 184 yards.

That's it. About the only thing I was really wanted to see is how the lens worked with both TC's installed at the same time. I'd say it worked better than I expected. Seems pretty sharp for that distance with all those TC's between the camera and the lens. Only thing was, it would try to focus but couldn't git er done. I guess I can muster up the energy turn that little focus ring if I have to :)

Now I just need to find something more interesting to photograph than my neighbor's truck.

Attachments

• Sigma 120-300 and TC Test 001_120mm.jpg
    Sigma 120-300 and TC Test 001_120mm.jpg
    393.2 KB · Views: 118
  • Sigma 120-300 and TC Test 002_200mm.jpg
    Sigma 120-300 and TC Test 002_200mm.jpg
    482 KB · Views: 121
  • Sigma 120-300 and TC Test 003_300mm.jpg
    Sigma 120-300 and TC Test 003_300mm.jpg
    400.2 KB · Views: 119
  • Sigma 120-300 and TC Test 004_420mm.jpg
    Sigma 120-300 and TC Test 004_420mm.jpg
    415.6 KB · Views: 118
  • Sigma 120-300 and TC Test 005_500mm.jpg
    Sigma 120-300 and TC Test 005_500mm.jpg
    377.6 KB · Views: 113
  • Sigma 120-300 and TC Test 006_600mm.jpg
    Sigma 120-300 and TC Test 006_600mm.jpg
    355.4 KB · Views: 107
  • Sigma 120-300 and TC Test 007_840mm.jpg
    Sigma 120-300 and TC Test 007_840mm.jpg
    385 KB · Views: 109
  • Sigma 120-300 and TC Test 007_840mm No Post Processing.jpg
    Sigma 120-300 and TC Test 007_840mm No Post Processing.jpg
    353.6 KB · Views: 108
Last edited:

DRB1313

Great test Ron and very informative.
I am way impressed with the quality outcome of the stacked1.4 and2x,
I would have never imagined that it would turn out so good (with the sharpening).

jason308

Great shots Ron!!!!! Thanks for the comparison too!!!! And for no autofocus # 7 looks fine to me!!!

rip18

Great series & description! Looks good with the stacked teleconverters! Yep, it would be a booger near dark, because you would be losing 3 stops of light...but at least you know it is feasible!

Thanks for sharing!

FERAL ONE

Shutter Mushin' Mod
great job ron!!! thanks for the step by step. i learned real quick the first time i used the 2x there was no way i could hand hold it. i guess i move around like a bowl full of jello!!!

Hoss

That's a great demonstration Ron. I'm pretty impressed with the way the Sigma's behave with TC's. Haven't really used my 2X much on Bigma except for moonshots, but they came out better than I'd expected. Thanks for putting in the time to prepare this little demonstration.

Hoss

leo

Retired Woody's Mod 7/01-12/09
Fine lens pic demo

they came out very good, I hope one day to stack a 2x with my EC14 on the BIGMA, I hope it comes out as good as yours:)

The examples and data with pics help a lot in understanding, at least for me:)

Latest posts