just a few old lanterns...

xpertgreg

thought ya'll might get a kick out of my latest hobby. I have been hit hard by this one. I like old lanterns and other pressure gas appliances. here are some that I have in my young, but growing collection.

first is my grandad's 1961 coleman 237 Kerosene model. before and after pics

http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc39/xpertgreg/100_0644.jpg

http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc39/xpertgreg/100_0645.jpg

some different models of Sears lanterns from the 60's and early 70's

http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc39/xpertgreg/searslightup.jpg

and some I bet very few of ya'll have ever seen. A pair of Coleman Quicklite table lamps without shades. on the hunt now for the shades. these are from 1925 and 1926.

http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc39/xpertgreg/100_0635.jpg

I'm now up to about 25 lanterns of different makes and models, 3 lamps, and 12 different makes and models of camp stoves. I really enjoy finding them and making someone's cast offs run again like they were built to.

gw

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Very interestin` hobby Greg, and you`ve made em look new again! My folks had a Sears Lantern like the green one you`ve got there. It was lost in the 1994 flood, in Albany.

xpertgreg

I have yet to paint any of them. The lamps and the first lantern are nickle plated originally. they come in very crusty and then it's a matter of buffing them out to a shine. I have some beaters stuck back to practice painting on eventually. The founts get painted, but the ventilators are porcelain enamel so what you get is pretty much what you get. you can have them redone, but it is very expensive. you can get replacement decals for the coleman lanterns, but the off brands and sears lanterns are better left untouched in most cases.

thanks for the compliment by the way!

gw

xpertgreg

Nic, one thing that really appeals to me about this hobby is the restoration. I however, lack a lot of patience for larger jobs, but these are realatively quick to bring back to life. My grandad's lantern took literally 3 or 4 hours to complete. I do have to get a correct mantle for it to run really well. the shorter mantles that are readily available now do not lend themselves well to the large generator kerosene lanterns as they don't keep the vaporization going long.

greg

xpertgreg

The sears lanterns are some of my favorites, I like the different colors they came in. just this weekend I bought a stove to "match" the black on blue version. Tomorrow I'll try to get some pics of some of my stoves for ya'll to check out.

gw

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Greg, they also had a two burner, white gas stove that was blue. I don`t ever remember seein` a name on it. Would that have been a Sears?

xpertgreg

Nic, yep, that would be like the stove I bought this weekend. It matches the middle lantern on the sears pics. Light blue case, and black wind shields. The only decal on mine is inside the top of the case, it has the sears logo and lighting instructions.

Cal, thanks for the kind words. what area are you in? Lots of mine come from the flea market here in Dalton. I have been asking around about areas that might have flea markets, but have found none to speak of in the area besides the one I frequent.

gw

reddwil

There was a good article in Outdoor Life a couple months ago, dealing with old lanterns and a lot of old Coleman stuff. Some of those lanterns are worth some serious Cash.

Fishin & Hunting

I got an old 1950 coleman stove. And I still use it. It has one heck of a story behind it.

Some where there is a web site that will tell you what years a certain model coleman items were made.

Thanks for the pictures.

xpertgreg

there is indeed a website that will give a range of years, but most coleman appliances have been dated since the early 1920's. some stoves you have to look really hard to find the stampings, but the lanterns and lamps are easily dated.

F&H, what model is your stove? single, two, or three burner? and please tell us the story.

gw

Al33

What a nice hobby you have discovered. Great job on the restoration also! Very interesting. I will now be on the look out for old lanterns and stoves and will let you know if I find any. If you will send me your cell # I will keep it in my wallet in the event I do find something I think you would be interested in. I'm not too far down the road from you and I hunt in Gordon Co..

Uncle T

EG,
Is the flea market in the middle of the week worth the trip from Canton?

It's funny how those mountain folk have such a good turn out when most folks are at work.

UT

dixie

Doggone, its HARD seeing your camping equipment called collectibles!!!

xpertgreg

UT, our flea market is on saturday and sunday. hmmm...where did you think I lived? ;)

Thanks Al, PM on the way!

gw

CAL

Wife and I go to flea mkt's every where in the south east from time to time.We also go to north Ala.and sometimes into South Carolina and Florida.

Latest posts